• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How could Ash's Pikachu loses

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2009
    Seriously, How could Ash's Pikachu lose when he has been through everything since Kanto with Ash, yet he loses alot. For all it has been through it is UBER!!!!

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Well, of course the logical reason is that Pikachu has to get "reset" every region so it doesn't one-shot everything (Team Rocket excluded)...

In-universe... the only reason I can think of is that Pikachu's intentionally holding back. Maybe to get Ash to catch some more team members, or maybe it just doesn't want to go to the effort of being used in every round of every battle Ash gets in.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, like ^ said. xD

Pikachu resets at the start of region, so that it can grow with the rest of his new team/learn new moves, etc. So really.. Sinnoh!Pikachu may as well have never battled at all in Kanto/Johto/Hoenn.

>_> So messed. Way to go writing staff.

Last edited:

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Honestly....in my opinion pikachu is overrated. He(she?) has won a few good battles, against all odds he defeats onix, regice, dragonite etc. but he also loses a lot of battles. My respect for him diminished when he lost that match to pelipper....he even lost Ash the hoenn league when a meowth beat him :P

Pikachu wins tough battles, but loses easy ones...so it really is just an average poke, not the strongest on Ash's team....he only keeps it there because they are friends.

Superspaztastic13

Spaztastic Trainer
    Years
    If you think about it maybe the other trainers have pokemon at similiar levels to pikachu?!?! maybe but all these years and training maybe he is only level 35 -37

crimsonstorm

The Original Crimson
    Years
    • WV
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    I think pikachu was at the top of his game when he helped take down Drake's dragonite. Since that battle its been up and down. I don't know about the writers sometimes, but having it lose to meowth was just plain ridiculous.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah, like ^ said. xD

Pikachu resets at the start of region, so that it can grow with the rest of his new team/learn new moves, etc. So really.. Sinnoh!Pikachu may as well have never battled at all in Kanto/Johto/Hoenn.

>_> So messed. Way to go writing staff.

It's almost as screwed up as how the Professors will suddenly discover a bunch of new Pokemon all at once and send every 10-year-old in the Region off to a foreign country.

Last edited:

Noibat

Years
    I think leveling up does take a longer amount of time than they let on in the anime. Besides, would it be fun/exciting to have Pikachu win every single battle every ep? What's the thrill of that?

Years
    I agree with Galactic Gal, it would be no fun just to see Pikachu be sent out and win with just one hit ... also maybe the other Pokemon trainer's Pokemon are stronger throughout time to ?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think leveling up does take a longer amount of time than they let on in the anime. Besides, would it be fun/exciting to have Pikachu win every single battle every ep? What's the thrill of that?

It may not be thrilling, but that does NOT mean it should lose easily either.

Spoiler:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I agree with one of the earlier opinions of this thread; Pikachu "resets" every region as to not be totally overpowered.

How else could it have been beaten by such lousy and weak opponents? :S

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    I think it's all about perception. We have it in our mind since we have been watching this Pikachu for upwards of 10 years that he has to be an uber Pokemon. Well, that's not true. Perhaps as Ash progresses other trainers are also progressing equally.

And you always have to remember the games =/= the series.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think it's all about perception. We have it in our mind since we have been watching this Pikachu for upwards of 10 years that he has to be an uber Pokemon. Well, that's not true. Perhaps as Ash progresses other trainers are also progressing equally.

And you always have to remember the games =/= the series.

Err... Pikachu already took down a Legendary pokemon ALL BY ITSELF with barely any effort (which is a feat few have ever pulled off), and defeated one of the most powerful and seasoned trainers, who was also said Regice's trainer. Plus, it already was a veteran of four leagues already, plus the Battle Frontier (Yes, Orange League counts). I mean, even WITH the whole "Anime =/= Games" mindset, that's still highly illogical. It may not be invincible, but that doesn't mean it has to lose against rookies
    Spoiler:

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Err... Pikachu already took down a Legendary pokemon ALL BY ITSELF with barely any effort (which is a feat few have ever pulled off), and defeated one of the most powerful and seasoned trainers, who was also said Regice's trainer. Plus, it already was a veteran of four leagues already, plus the Battle Frontier (Yes, Orange League counts). I mean, even WITH the whole "Anime =/= Games" mindset, that's still highly illogical. It may not be invincible, but that doesn't mean it has to lose against rookies
    Spoiler:

So what, it won some tough fights. Every pokemon can be lucky.

But luck at who pikachu has lost to--a pelliper (ok it might have been a tie...but it pikachu had 4x advantage over it), a meowth (who pikachu sees every day), an elekid (has pikachu EVER beaten one of the elekid evolution lines?), the list goes on. Ash and some fans way overrate pikachu....he has never been all that great from the start.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    It always seems that once Pikachu uses it's thunderbolt and it doesn't work, dispute the speed it has, it always gets hit on the next attack and takes a lot of damage. Thats one thing that always got me, Pikachu is generally not a strong pokemon and that has been displayed. But it is stronger then people think and that has been shown as well. Pikachu is suppose to win some upsets and is suppose to be upset by others and lose in battle. it isn't just Pikachu, it can happen in any battle. What I think is Ash should have Pikachu use thunderbolt to it's full power more often for more damage, sure it is more energy draining but gives Ash a better shot at winning. Anyone else notice at times he won't just say Pikachu thunderbolt, he will say "Thunderbolt with everything you've got" and it usually works and puts on a lot more damage.

Years
    What people seem to forget is that Ash isnt the only traveling trainer, so most of the trainers that Ash goes up against have also travelled alot and that their Pokemon are going to be strong as well so Pikachu might be weaker than these other Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2009
    If you think about it maybe the other trainers have pokemon at similiar levels to pikachu?!?! maybe but all these years and training maybe he is only level 35 -37

How could pikachu be only level 35-37 he has battled through kanto, johto, orange islands, hoenn, battle frontier and currently sinnoh??

brit13444

brit13444
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2009
    PIKACHU STINKS! IT THINKS IT IS ALL THAT BUT IT REEKS OF THE STENCH OF WEAK POKE'MON!

Back