• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Could Brock Have Been Handled Better?

Years
    First of all, I'd like to say that Brock is a complete idiot for leaving Ash's crew. Seriously, Brock's life is probably 80% less interesting now.

With Ash Brock saw every legendary Pokemon from Kanto to Sinnoh, went to an undersea temple, separate dimension, the distortion world, back in time, and has even helped Ash save the planet a couple times. Man, hanging out with Ash sure makes your life exciting!

Anyways, many fans agree that sometime during his journeys with Ash Brock developed into a very boring character. Pair that up with his extremely old gag and you've got a big problem. What could the writers have done to make Brock more interesting during his run?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I wouldn't say Brock is a complete idiot for pursuing his dream to become a pokemon doctor. If he has done so much already as you said, then he probably has a fullfilled life in terms of all the journeys he has taken. I think he would be more excited to hang out with Nurse Joy at the Doctors office then hanging out with Ash... And I didn't watch much of DP but from what I heard his character was dull and almost none existent at times. Maybe they brought in so many side characters for other people like Ash/May/Dawn and focused on them so much instead of the team as a whole that Brock just got dull and boring. They probably made a majority of the episodes Ash and May/Dawn centric and barely left much episodes for Brock to get any spot light.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    First of all, I'd like to say that Brock is a complete idiot for leaving Ash's crew. Seriously, Brock's life is probably 80% less interesting now.

With Ash Brock saw every legendary Pokemon from Kanto to Sinnoh, went to an undersea temple, separate dimension, the distortion world, back in time, and has even helped Ash save the planet a couple times. Man, hanging out with Ash sure makes your life exciting!

Anyways, many fans agree that sometime during his journeys with Ash Brock developed into a very boring character. Pair that up with his extremely old gag and you've got a big problem. What could the writers have done to make Brock more interesting during his run?
    Brock's character was well handled during Kanto and Johto since those sagas is were Brock was full of life and wasn't dull or boring like he is nowdays,i mean Brock becoming a pokemon doctor at the end of the DP series was really poorly done and overrused.

Brock became boring and bland during the AG and DP sagas,he was just dull doring these two series.

Years
    I thought Brock was a great character in Kanto and Johto, and maybe even Hoenn, but in Sinnoh he was like a robot.

It really felt like the writers just didn't want to bother with Brock in D. I think they should've made more Brock-centered episodes. They really should've given Brock more Pokemon too.

I always thought Brock could've been an incredible trainer, since he obviously has a vast knowledge of Pokemon and the moves they use.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I think he was made boring (or at least we took him as boring) in AG and DP because with the start of AG we started to have 2 main characters. Ash and coordinating girl so writers had to focus on girl character more then on Brock.
    In Kanto and Johto Misty and Brock were on about same level so Brock was made more interesting =)
    That's my opinion =)

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Maybe because of the fact he didn't do much I mean I know he has been around since the first series. I always liked how he would go off to try to go on a date with Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy but that got so trying after a while. He did that in every season and if I could remember correctly, he mainly just cooked. To be honest I always thought of him being there just to cook for Ash and his friends or be the Pokey nerd once he started traveling with Ash until the Sinnoh region. I actually did liked him better back in the old series. I don't remember much but I think I saw more of his personality back then and always gave good laughs. I guess it died once he kept traveling with Ash for a long time that I started hopping we would get brain new travelers. Maybe seeing more talents from him like Cilan might be something I would have wanted or something different besides him doing the same thing over and over.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'm going to have to say that I disagree with most of you. Although I loved him as a character, and didn't want him to leave at first, but I do think it was the right choice. I mean, he can't of followed Ash all this time for the rest of his journeys, he wanted to do something different and become a doctor, which is perfectly understandable.

I don't at all think Brock became boring at all in my opinion, but it's perfectly arguable. He was given a lot of attention, having him get Bonsly in kanto and then having it evolve in DP, and then winning that contest and winning that happiny egg, and even his love antics carried on including the gag, changing Misty and Max's ear pulling to Croagunk using poison jab.

I wouldn't say that at all just yet, just look at the special he recived, Nurse Joy and that Latias.

Years
    I wouldn't say that at all just yet, just look at the special he recived, Nurse Joy and that Latias.

That was not Brock's special, it was Forrest's. .-.

Really, I was a bit disappointed when Brock lost his only battle in that special. When was the last time he even battled anyone who wasn't Team Rocket? I thought they would at least let him win during his send-off. Then again, maybe that wasn't a send-off.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

Really, I was a bit disappointed when Brock lost his only battle in that special. When was the last time he even battled anyone who wasn't Team Rocket? I thought they would at least let him win during his send-off. Then again, maybe that wasn't a send-off.
    Those were Ash's movies and episodes, not Brock's. ._.

I'm sure they'll give him another special or whatever if you ask me, including other characters, just give it time. I wouldn't be suprised if TPCI took all the specials that will air in japan in a few years and put them into something like chronicles.

Years

Those were Ash's movies and episodes, not Brock's. ._.

I'm sure they'll give him another special or whatever if you ask me, including other characters, just give it time. I wouldn't be suprised if TPCI took all the specials that will air in japan in a few years and put them into something like chronicles.

I could argue that movies 6 and 9 belonged to Max and May...

I wasn't really talking about Brock's exciting adventures, I was really just ranting about how "his" special was handled. I mean, he's been around so long that you'd think the writers would give him something more memorable. Maybe Brock could've been the one to defeat Latias and save the gym? Not even all of Brock's Pokemon appeared, which really disappointed me. Dawn's was handled even worse.

But you're probably right, we might see more specials in the future.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    let's see here...

In the first season, I liked brock's character better. For one, his girl crazyness didn't go beyond a simple " She's hot" and a blush or 2. no Misty/Max dragging him away by the ear or Croagunk jabbing him.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    ...Maybe he's just a boring person.

I think if Pokemon tells a story of how Brock accidentally super-glued his eyes together as a child, it could be good.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Brock was great character when used properly and it was truly a pity that writers neglected him at times so much never using him to full potential.His obsession over girls,undrainable source of information and calm and collected attitude made his character providing stability to main cast.

I suppose main reason why writers didn't did more with him was because they probably didn't felt need to increase his screen time being already content with his role of Mr.Exposition and older caretaker for group.And they were right,Brock fulfilled that role nicely but their mistake was in not focusing enough on his own as character and story being often left behind.

I suppose way in which his role could have been increased is:
    -give him more focus about his goal of being breeder
    -contribute more to plot in general by being little more engaged in battling sometimes
    -have him meet more of breeders out there to who he could demonstrate his skills becoming recognized and learn new things from them(like he did from Suzie per say).

Interesting that you mentioned it because i feel same way.Brock got robbed of from proper departure in my opinion withmany things being left unanswered there.Aside from brief moment of showing Brock studying in room,special was anything but about him with writers blowing their opportunity by turning it in something which was mostly about his brother Forrest and how to save gym from PIA inspector.

For instance we don't know if Brock will open day care center or set on a journey becoming traveling doctor as well not being cleared up what else he might need to do beside studying to achieve his newly found goal.
    Whats even worse is fact of losing easily his battle against inspector Joy making him look as weak in end.For someone who didn't battle much writers should at least send him away with bang.

I felt same way about Misty or Max when they left.With Misty she was just randomly called back to gym with no foreshadowing being present staying there mainly out of necessity because of her sisters running away from responsibilities.While her goal of becoming master of water types,ambitions and things going for her in story were left unfinished and uncleared ending up as wasted potential.

While with Max he was just cemented at his father gym not being able to receive closure or continuation of story because of characters not aging in this show creating handicap of never being able to get his first pokemon and start journey as trainer.
    So much about that promised battle between him and Ash i guess.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Well I'd say they could have had more episodes about Brock dealing with his goal, given him a rival that maybe do it. Or just give him more episodes at all, do some thing other than flirt with girls 24/7. In D/P that joke got so old and boring, I some times wished he'd left before the end of the D/P series.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Create a separate show with Brock as the protagonist, bring back all the girls (Misty, May, Dawn) and lift the show to 18+ and we got a party. ;)

PL50

I hate legendaries
    Years
    I do miss him...but they replaced him with...CILAN D:<

AT LEAST MAKE CILAN A COMPLETE FLIRT WITH THE NURSE JOYS AND OFFICER JENNYS 8D

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I think they just kind of dropped him as a character even before he was off of the show. He could have been a very good trainer, but he just didn't seem to care much about that. And he should have kept his theme, rock pokemon with crowbat.

Back