• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I show the Pokémon I'm surfing on?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    Hello,
    Can somebody make a Script where I have the graphic from the Pokemon I choose? For example when I have a Sharpedo then the Graphic from Sharpedo is showing. When I don't make a Picture the Script use the normal Graphic from Pokemon Essentials.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I'm pretty sure it does already. Maybe not in Debug Mode, but I'm sure it does... I've seen it while testing Strength and things.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    Really? I don't think that there is a script that Shows weich pokemon you have by surfing.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Actually I think I just realized what you want... You aren't talking about the little animation that shows when a Pokémon uses Surf, are you? You're on about the Pokémon you "control" while surfing?

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
    Years
  • Yes he's talking about the sprite used by the player when surfing.

I tried to find out where it's done, but I didn't get results.

Years
  • It gets the graphic using a filename defined in your metadata.txt .

Here's where it changes the graphics

Code:
    def Kernel.pbUpdateVehicle
      meta=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataPlayerA+$PokemonGlobal.playerID)
      if meta
        if $PokemonGlobal.diving
          $game_player.character_name=pbGetPlayerCharset(meta,5) # Diving graphic
        elsif $PokemonGlobal.surfing
          $game_player.character_name=pbGetPlayerCharset(meta,3) # Surfing graphic
        elsif $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
          $game_player.character_name=pbGetPlayerCharset(meta,2) # Bicycle graphic
        else
          $game_player.character_name=pbGetPlayerCharset(meta,1) # Regular graphic
        end
      end
    end

I (could be wrong) believe this is the only place where it changes you to the surfing graphic, so should just be a little bit of editing.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    That's it Mej, but it will require more than "just a little bit of editing".

First you'll need to find which Pokémon is using Surf, then find the location of said Pokémons charset, then change the character to it... Without using Metadata because it will only change it to one charset unless you define 70+ or whatever lol.

It would be easier to make a new script entirely but I've always learnt, "I wants don't get"... Until he proves he tried to do such a script, he shouldn't be handed them... I don't mind helping anyone, but I've come across so many takers not many givers... I will only help those who help themselves, I learnt that off Maruno a long time ago.
    Teachers teach...
    Takers take...
    Leaners learn...
    You see a pattern here?!
    Rangman, I suggest learning some sort of coding before asking for everything you've been asking for, to be done for you... Harsh but true.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    Sorry...You are right but I already try it and I already learn ruby at the moment. But I learn it really slow and I think I ask it and then I have more time to learn ruby. But I try to don't ask so stupid question.

Years
  • That's it Mej, but it will require more than "just a little bit of editing".

First you'll need to find which Pokémon is using Surf, then find the location of said Pokémons charset, then change the character to it... Without using Metadata because it will only change it to one charset unless you define 70+ or whatever lol.

The function that checks for the HM returns the index of the pokemon, you could use that to let Kernel.pbUpdateVehicle to allow a variable in (surfingpoke=nil), and set the variable to that pokemon's species or species name, then just have it check for the graphic. If the graphic isn't there or the variable is nil, it uses the default. Or you could just make a new function that does what I said by itself and returns the correct graphic, for updating on map transfers.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    Well said Nickalooose. These words should be put at the top of the essentials sub-forum for all newcomers to see.

And don't take it personally Rangman, we're all like this when we first get essentials. We see what it can do, and we assume it's simple to add more. It's easy to forget just how much essentials can already do. You just have to focus on getting the basics like mapping and story done first, because stuff like this won't make or a break a players experience :)

Yep - I went through the stages of:
    "Oh, this looks easy - Events, characters, all pre-made! Anyone have some ideas I can copypaste?"
    "*entering database* Wow... this is more complicated than I thought..."
    "*entering scripting* Crap, this is a new language. Mad respect for the people who made this."
    "Well, I already have this kickass story I want to make, and I'm already knee-deep in this scripting stuff, so I may as well go on..."
    "Alright, I'm getting the hang of this! *googling tutorials and picking them apart to learn*"
    "Wow! I can look at a script and most of it is no longer gibberish!"
    *Determined and inspired*

And now that I've gotten the hang of things, I feel comfortable making things beyond just the mapping and storybuilding - altering sprites, creating my own events, changing the way the game is played, adding new sprites or walkcycles.

Go ahead and sprint before you can walk, but be prepared to fall on your face, say 'well that was fun, lets try again' and try again a few times until you can get your feet under you - not moving unless someone else holds your hand won't help you become stronger.

mustafa505

Aeon Developer
    Years
  • That's it Mej, but it will require more than "just a little bit of editing".

It would be easier to make a new script entirely but I've always learnt, "I wants don't get"... Until he proves he tried to do such a script, he shouldn't be handed them... I don't mind helping anyone, but I've come across so many takers not many givers... I will only help those who help themselves, I learnt that off Maruno a long time ago.
    Teachers teach...
    Takers take...
    Leaners learn...
    You see a pattern here?!
    Rangman, I suggest learning some sort of coding before asking for everything you've been asking for, to be done for you... Harsh but true.
    Doesn't mean if he doesn't know he shouldn't ask , everyone goes through this phase when they new to it, doesn't mean you tell them that they should do it themself, just saying, but i agree on your other point, there shouldn't be too much spoonfeeding but just some reference help or examples and showing where to get started is enough, what i mean to say is when saying them to learn the stuf, directing them where to get started would be a nice answer.
    @rangman135 I suggest looking on the scripts which mej and nickaloose pointed out, but first you check on pokemon essentials wiki and understand how they work and what they do, this includes getting knowledge of rgss ruby too, this will take time but can be done fast if you have interest, after solving all that you will get the idea of what to change in whichever script it has to be.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Doesn't mean if he doesn't know he shouldn't ask , everyone goes through this phase when they new to it, doesn't mean you tell them that they should do it themself, just saying, but i agree on your other point, there shouldn't be too much spoonfeeding but just some reference help or examples and showing where to get started is enough, what i mean to say is when saying them to learn the stuf, directing them where to get started would be a nice answer.
    @rangman135 I suggest looking on the scripts which mej and nickaloose pointed out, but first you check on pokemon essentials wiki and understand how they work and what they do, this includes getting knowledge of rgss ruby too, this will take time but can be done fast if you have interest, after solving all that you will get the idea of what to change in whichever script it has to be.

I disagree with you but totally agree with Daitoshi... If anyone doesn't try themselves, they will expect everything given to them.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but the person who is working on Essentials told me the exact same thing I said, just worded different and I took his (and my) advice and I can now script anything I choose to add.

Pointing in the right direction is fine, but doing it for them is laziness... But I posted that after I noticed so many "I want" threads by him, nothing more.

Back