• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you battle Pok?mon?

How do you battle Pok?mon?

• Head On

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Carefully

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Status Effecting

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Stat Effecting

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Combination of the Above

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007

Well, this came to me awhile back and I was wondering how do you fight in a battle against a Pok?mon whether wild or a trainers?

To me there are 4 types of ways you can fight:
    Head On (Simply straight out attacking them)
    Carefully (Using defense moves like Harden)
    Status Effecting (Effecting Status like using Poison Powder)
    Stat Effecting (Effecting Stats like using Growl)

Me personally I tend to do it Head On with a touch of Status Effecting when necessary and I shy away from the Careful and Stat Effecting approaches. Therefore I chose the choice Combination of the Above.

I made it so you can choose multiple choices so feel free to choose 2 or more if you like.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm usually a head-on person. I just want it over with. XD
    It usually works for me.

I only use Careful and Status Effecting when I think I'm at a disadvantage, like higher levels and gym leader battles.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Head on for in the wild.
    Strategically AS POSSIBLE vs gyms/stronger trainers earlier in the game.
    Head on vs trainers later on in the game.
    And just straight out skill and defensive switching vs my lil bro or on NB.

flarizardmew

Iruka fangirl, watch out! ^.^
    Years
    i always go head on because i have 8 level 100 pokemon so i don't worry about type disadvantages becasue even a move that's not effective, it faints the pokemon in one hit any. HEAD ON BABY!!!!

Jack_Skellington

Don't Mess With Me Fool!!
    Years
    I would personally say my Pokemon Battling style would be a combination of all of them. I usualy have 3 DEF Pokemon, meaning that they have mostly status causing effects, such as my Crobat havign Supersonic, Confuse Ray, etc. And the other three having full on kill kill KILL attacks, such as my Dargonite haveing Hyper Beam, Take Down, etc. So, yeah, there it is......>_>...

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    I guess I'm more of a combination guy, myself. Unless the pok?mon in question is a Choice Bander I always keep a status-inflicting, stat-raising, counter-attacking, or HP-recovery move there for a rainy day, I mean, it's not like I usually need more than 3 damaging moves, anyway. But is healing/counter attacking considered careful battling or what? Anyways, my average strategy is to sitt about and buff up a bit and then sweep my opponents away, level advantages are fickle and not to be relied upon, Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp are more my thing, although of course, if I have a significant level/type advantage I'm not shy about using it. ^-^ On Netbattle I play more or less the same way, although my pok?mon builds tend to be more specialized, I think more carefully about what I do, and I use a lot more switching.

Shiny Meganium

Meganium trainer
    Years
    I usually go head on with force. I like moves like Earthquake and Flamethrower. Sometimes I put the opponent to sleep or poison the opponent if my Pokemon has week attacks or stats. For me it depends on the Pokemon.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    *~Silver~* said:
    I'm the careful type, unless I know the pokemon pretty well I go against going head-on. That can be a gamble.
    Well, your the first so far to go the careful route.

Me personally I feel careful moves are a bit of a waste so anytime a Pok?mon learns a new move that has to replace another to be learned I always replace careful moves as well as stat effecting moves.

I feel if you do a move to raise your attack then next move attack why not rather just attack 2 times and do more damage course I'm a head on battler especially when trying to level up my Pok?mon.

Years
    When I battle my friends or any given challenger I always keep my battling style a secret but when Im posting I let it all hang out.

I have three different team which combine many different battling styles. When I use my all Rock/Fighitng/Steel team it turns out to be a all out assualt.

With my Exeggutor/Crobat combination it turn out ot be a slow but deadly battle.

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    I usually go head-on, unless I'm battling a gym leader or the elite four. Then I'm much more careful, and I use a ton of status & stat-affecting moves. When it seems like I'm at a disadvantage, I rely on strategy.

[Paper Wings]

Cosmic Castaway
    Years
    I'm the head-on type. Always. The best defense is the good offense, I say. But in the time it takes to Harden or Howl, you could've drained half your opponent's HP, so what's the point?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    phunboy said:
    Well, your the first so far to go the careful route.

Me personally I feel careful moves are a bit of a waste so anytime a Pok?mon learns a new move that has to replace another to be learned I always replace careful moves as well as stat effecting moves.

I feel if you do a move to raise your attack then next move attack why not rather just attack 2 times and do more damage course I'm a head on battler especially when trying to level up my Pok?mon.

Erm...maybe because once you've buffed up with, say...3 Swords Dances and have a suitable arsenal of physical moves you can sweep away not only the current opponent but also more or less everything else your opponent has got to throw at you? In my experience, head-on attacking is the staple of careless opponents who are easy to stump with a little strategy. -.- And at any rate, buffing moves should always be accompanied by healing moves in my opinion. That way you can max out your chosen stat(s), remove the damage your opponent caused in the mean time and then just massacre them.

[Paper Wings] said:
    I'm the head-on type. Always. The best defense is the good offense, I say. But in the time it takes to Harden or Howl, you could've drained half your opponent's HP, so what's the point?

Ever heard of Counter or Mirror Coat? Or perhaps more importantly, ever felt them? The difference between a one-hit KO and a two-hit KO becomes quite glaringly obvious in that instance. The best way to defeat an opponent is to either whittle their HP away with status/weather effects or to hit them once and hit them hard, even if that hit requires a bit of preparation. Although I do agree that moves like Howl and Harden are a waste. Swords Dance and Iron Defense are more like it. However, that comparison is kind of faulty because it is just about as valid as me asking...why should anyone go head-on with 'Rapid Spin or Bubble?', picking the lowest-class stat-affecting moves and railing against them is kind of an awkward way to prove your point. :\

Last edited:

Chronos

Not named from YGO-GX.
    Years
    I go with head on. Elemental advantage I sometimes go for depending on the level, but I never go for status inducing moves unless I'm trying to catch something. I see no point in putting something to sleep with Hypnosis then using Dream Eater with a Gengar when you could just as easily kill the Pokemon with Psychic.

Back