• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how do you choose your favorite Pokémon?

Years
  • I don't really have any favorite Pokemon. I just have a lot of Pokemon that I like. Usually how they look and how they preform.

Emburn

<3
    Years
  • I normally go based off types. Dragon types are my favorite and I believe look the coolest. They also are very strong which allows me to keep using them :3

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
  • I usually go by design. There are certain pokemon i enjoy using over others... That's a given. My Top 5 would have to be

5. Raichu
    4. Umbreon (shiny or normal)
    3. Dragonair (don't care for dragonite too much.)
    2. Charizard (shiny/normal)
    1. Eevee (shiny/normal)

All of these look like a fierce competitor, well... besides eevee, and all can hold their own in battles for the most part.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • 30% design
    10% battle potential
    60% personal compatibility

By battle potential, I don't necessarily mean whether or not it's the best or higher tier, but whether you can actually do something with it.

By personal compatibility, I mean whether or not I can relate with the pokemon. I'll admit some of my favorite pokemon don't have the best designs, yet there's something about them that click with me. Take Shroomish. We already had a mushroom pokemon, nothing very exceptional about it. Yet there's something about its colors, lack of arms, stubby feet, and that face that makes me like it so very much! ^_^

A majority of my favorite pokemon are the unevolved, smaller stages. Lots of them happen to be green.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I take into account the following criteria in no particular order:

1) Design
    2) Offensive or defensive?
    3) Battle potential
    4) Sentimental value
    5) Movepool
    6) Has previously worked well for me in-game

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    Mostly based on design. Sometimes if the pokedex entry is interesting enough or if its based on an animal I really like( Feraligatr and Krookodile for example)

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • This is an interesting question!

I think everyone would agree that there is no one way of choosing your favorite pokemon. If you check out some of the youtube videos about so-and-so's favorite pokemon list, most of the time the reasons go all over the place- memory, design, power, convenience to battle with, even type.

My favorite pokemon are gardevoir and flygon, and I can't give any one reason for my choices. I love desert and mysticism, and Flygon has those two motifs rocking pretty well- being the ever-elusive spirit of desert and all (not to mention the fact that it's a freaking dragon). My reasons for liking Gardevoir are altogether different. One of my favorite pokemon generations is gen 3. I always picked ralts early in the game, and due to high special attack and more or less good movepool, it was very convenient in in-game battles. Plus I'm personally very fond of the psychic type.

Back