• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How do you feel about less emphasis being placed on HMs?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
  • 1) Do you like the idea of less HMs than in other recent games?
    2) Along with that, do you think it's a good thing that you only need one HM to complete the story?

1) Oddly, I don't like it when we don't have to use as many HMs. Don't ask me why, because I really don't know.

2) Actually, I didn't even notice this. I didn't realize you only needed to use Cut near the Dreamyard for the entire freaking storyline. It does make sense, but I just used other HMs like Strength and Surf anyway. I loved being able to Dive underwater again, though i've only done it once.

Also, I loved how the new Strength boulders looked. They actually looked like boulders that might block your path instead of little pebbles that you shouldn't have to use a specific move on to move them. I haven't seen any Rock Smash rocks...at all. Where the freak are they?

Volcom22

Weepingbell Collector.. ^.^
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    It really doesn't bother me now not having a HM slave in my party when I travel around.

Years
  • I love this feature! Having to give an HM to a pokemon just to continue the story was really annoying! I may not want them to use the attack and when the want to learn a really good move later on i cnt get rid of the hm untill much later so bye bye good move :(
    It was especialy annoying when they started bringing out new HMs like rock smash and rockslide, just made it ten times worse!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2011
    I don't like most of the HMs because they are usually really weak. I thought the concept of a HM slave just reduces the potential of your team significantly. But considering how most people only carry 3 pokemon, having one out of 6 slots go to waste isn't much of a problem i guess.

I like how once you move a rock with strength you don't need to move it again though.

A Charizard should automatically be able to Fly/Cut or burn down trees etc... Maybe it would make sense to make the badges act like "licences" whereby they are a sign that the trainer is ready and allowed to use unsafe manoeuvres like riding on a Pokemon's back outside of battle. That would retain the exploration aspect of the HMs, while not taking up valuable moveset slots - and it would make the game far more believable, given that Pokemon are able to do what they should naturally be able to do - like swim, fly, push boulders - without needing to be taught.

It could even be linked to their stats. A Pokemon with a high enough Speed stat could be used as a Bicycle. A Pokemon with a high enough Attack could push boulders around, etc. But all these abilities would be out-of-battle abilities only, so there's no need to waste a move slot on something terrible like Defog.

This is actually a very good idea though. :D

Last edited:

Mahtale

Lives are overrated.
    Years
  • While I realize the purpose of HMs, I've always hated them. I am glad that they've experimented with reducing their importance in this game, and I hope that they will continue this trend. I think it takes away from some of the "creativity" in forming a team when you have to drag around one or two "HM Slave Pokemon" in order to navigate through the routes to the next city. I know that you can store your HM Slaves in the PC until you need them, but it's often when you're already deep into a route that you realize you need them.

Ciz

La la la ♪
    Years
  • I find Fly and Surf only the most useful in all HMs, cause i make them a part of my movesets (Fly for my Flying type, and Surf for one type available).

This has an advantage for people wont have to worry too much about HM Slaves. In the previous generations, you need to surf to get to the required island with a gym, or cut through a hedge to get to a city, and even scale walls and waterfalls to get certain items for evolving and battling.

Maybe GameFreak already realized that. :))))))

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    i missed dive, form emerald, but in the game its not very usefull like in old ones

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I hate HMs so I was thrilled when I realized I only needed one or two to comfortably play the main story. n_n; Now if only they were made into regular moves that could be overwritten, I'd be happy.

It was kind of annoying when I hit the endgame and realized I'd need to drop one of my party Pokémon in order to get around comfortably (waterfall, surf). Could have been worse though. :[

Years
  • Do you like the idea of less HMs than in other recent games?
    Totally. I hate HM's.

Along with that, do you think it's a good thing that you only need one HM to complete the story?
    Yes, it makes everything easier.(Except I do think that you need both Fly and Surf...)

Back