• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How do you guys keep count of EVs?

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I'm not sure that little counter works, so do you guys just like write it out or memorize it?

What tips and secrets do you have for knowing how many EV points your pokemon has accumulated already?

homsar

Competitive Gamer
    Years
    It does but its not hard to finish the EV's for a particular stat before turning it off. If you cant just write down where you left off.

Golden Shaymin

Taking a short break
    Years
    you can tap the button in the middle to make it go up

to reset it you must change the function on the Poketch

so your probably wiser to right it down or type it up in notepad or word (whatever resources you have) so that you don't lose all the info if you change it accidently

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I keep them written down on a sheet of paper. When training a particular stat, I make two columns- one column shows how many EVs were gained from each battle, and the second shows the total amount of EVs so far.

Or, that's how I used to do it. That takes way too much effort now. Now, I just compare it against my Pokemon's remaining PP for a certain move. For example, let's say I'm training on Golbats on Victory Road for Speed. I'll send in the Pokemon I want to train, then switch to a stronger Poke (like Porygon-Z). If I kill 21 Golbats (12 EVs per Golbat), I'll reach the desired amount of EVs (252). So, I just kill Golbats until I've used 21 Thunderbolts (when I have three Thunderbolts left). At that point, I'm done, and I move on.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I prefer keeping track of them on paper. For me, its easier than using the Counter to remember where I'm at with them. I'm rather forgetful, and usually forget to press he Counter to the amount I obtained.. ^^;; I use a tally type format.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I battle low level Pokemon that I can easily OHKO, and I know that each number of PP I use is one point of EVs that I gain. I remember Metagross, with Earthquake. I battled numerous Whismur for EV Points, and once all the PP for Earthquake goes out, I know that I've got 10 EV Points. Then, I write it down.

dr00

「ちこく」君
    Years
    i'm weird and usually just keep track in my head based on how many of a certain move i'm using.

i don't recommend it. sometimes i lose my place though <_<

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
    Most of the time, I do what Raikazu does, I just look at the amount of PP I have wasted. =) Simple, yes, but very Effective.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    I always use the Counter and check how many I should have by how many moves I've used. If I have to turn off in the middle of training I try to do it at easy to remember numbers like 100.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Battling a pokemon that gives one 1 ev point + 4 from a battle item = 5 evs for each pokemon
    (if you wanted to max out a stat) 252/5 = 50.4, the 1.4 left is you take off the battle item to get the 252, and your done. With pokerus it would be 25.2. Just keep track of it in your counter, but i suggest battling a pokemon with 2 ev points so its 6 evs for each pokemon.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Notebook paper & pencil. Simple and effective from my experiences as well. I keep all my notes for EV training organized, it may be very time draining for others, but works for me. =D

Mikefox124

Silver Legend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2008
    Simple math skills.

Just calculate how many battles you have to do.

i.e:

252 Speed
    Give pokemon 100 speed vitamins.

With the Speed item (+4) go to Magikarp person (+1 speed EV)
    He has 6 magikarps. 30 each battle.
    You need 152 left.

You need to do: 5 Speed item battles & 2 regular battles. Use filler pokemon for last 4 magikarps.

the_gurpster

legendary pokemon trainer
    Years
    peace paper is the best in my experience but the thing is that i lose the paper :( so i kinda hav to remember that i ev trained it. i recommened it but if u want u can do the counter thing

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 28, 2013
    I write mine down on paper, so basically I have loads of numbers written that start at 100 (from vitamins) and go all the way up to 252! I find this more useful than the Counter app because it means that I can keep track of two different stats at once (e.g. training speed and attack in the same location). And when I'm done I go to the woman in Sunyshore City market just to make sure I've done it correctly.

I tried memorizing instead once, and... failed.

Jabunks

Currently Inactive
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    I write it down on a file on my computer

heres a example...
    --------------------------------------------
    Moveset EVs
    ~ Earthquake / Waterfall
    ~ Avalanche / Body Slam
    ~ Rest
    ~ Sleep Talk