• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you make BW style sprites?

Years
  • What program are people using to make bw style sprites? I've tried on paint and i can't even come close to these sprites. All help is appreciated. :)

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • It's not about the program you use that makes the sprites, you just need to practice over time to be able to do it with your choice of software unfortunately.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • well if you take a sprite and place it it in photoshop, you can just recolorize it to black and white. it wouldn't be the same as a pure black and white sprite, but you get the idea.

Years
  • There are programs that will cost you some dough like Aesprite or Pickle. I definitely prefer GraphicsGale over them considering it's available for free and compatible with many files. Personally, I switch between GraphicsGale and Photoshop whatever I'm feeling.

The best way you can learn is to look at the BW sprites, and from there you can practice and try to imitate its style because there is definitely a certain style to it compared to previous generation sprites.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    BW? Like, sprites from the Black & White versions?
    Like Carmaniac said, practice practice practise. You can stick to Paint, just
    try to draw many as possible, and also take a close look at the original ones.
    Don't forget how weak shadows look like in pixelic form, and details like
    the outlines, adding darker color of the color the outlines are around to the
    edges of the outlines etc.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I use paint for all my sprite work. It really keeps it basic, and has all you need to make great sprites. A good way to start learning editing sprites is to modify existing ones in paint, and play around with those. I also recommend looking up tutorials.

Back