• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do YOU set up your party?

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    What the title says. What qualification standards does a Pokémon need to have in order to fit into your party? As in, what type it has/is? Species? Looks? What?

I try and get various types into my party to avoid type disadvantages. I also noticed the substantial amount of Pokémon with high Speed in my party. I like fast Pokémon. *shrugs*

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2007
    High Sp. Def..
    Why?
    Well, I only play against noobs. They always use the 3 Startes and 3 legends, all with Sp. Att., so Blissey is love.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
    Years
    For me, I always have the Pokemon that needs training first and the strongest Pokemon last. So I can get a strong balanced team, instead of just strenghtening up my strongest Pokemon every battle and leave the others as simply HM slaves or something or other.

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
    I use my starter, which is either Water or Grass, depending on the generation, a Psychic, the first Flying type I catch, a water type, and Electric type, and then a random like Fire, Grass, Ice, or Steel.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    When it comes to my party, I don't care about levels or type advantages, the only thing I care about is that the Pokemon I use are the ones that I like. I only have one all time favourite and will always use it. For now I have a team of four Pokemon that I always use in every party in every game. It doesn't matter if they're weak or aren't as good as they can be by evolving or learning certain moves, as long as I like them, that's all I need.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    For my party I'll always just use Pokemon I like. Throughout the course of the game I'll catch Pokemon I deem "cool" or "cute" or "interesting" or whatever, and I'll continue to train them. I'll also catch the legendaries, but rarely do I use them in my team. Why? If they happen to be non-useable in a battle, I'll have to get a "replacement" Pokemon, which I probably won't have at a high level. I'm lazy when it comes to training Pokemon. ._.;

Yoshi318

PokePhotographer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2008
    Meh!

to tell the truth i dont have any special secret way that i gather my crew, i just get pokemon that look cool...but one thing that i always do is get a box for what i call 'HM slaves' which are (as you probably can guess)are pokemon that i use soley for the purpose of teaching them HM moves...lol... i dont have the most advanced style , but it gets me through the game...

Yoshi318

PokePhotographer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2008
    Meh!

to tell the truth i dont have any special secret way that i gather my crew, i just get pokemon that look cool...but one thing that i always do is get a box for what i call 'HM slaves' which are (as you probably can guess)are pokemon that i use soley for the purpose of teaching them HM moves...lol... i dont have the most advanced style , but it gets me through the game...

let me rephrase some of that i dont always get ones that look kool, most of the time ATK,DEF,SPD and Level play major roles... i am also a very lazy pokemon trainer...and i also dont condone and or endorse anyone owning slaves...LOL

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    At first it's usually whatever I can catch, and then just anything to fill up my types. I like to have one of each main element, and maybe an HM slave on the side.

My polished teams are always different though. There's always a Raichu and there's always a Vaporeon. And more recently, there's been a Houndoom (I ♥ Houndour) and now there'll always be a Cherrim. I go by the Pokémon I love, which sadly is usually the Pokémon I find cute. XD; I tend to keep my starters in every game, too.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
    Mine are decided by types and looks. I never have two of the same type of pokemon in my group, but there also will not be an ugly pokemon in there anywhere haha xD

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I use the Pokémon I like that can still do well in battle and try to get balanced team with good types and at least two sweepers, (one physical, one special) two walls (physical and special again) and two filler Pokémon. As a competitive battler I just can't use a team that isn't well balanced.

Years
    I'll go for a combination of Multi types.

I'll always have the highest evo of the flying pokemon you find around the starting town.
    My starter.
    Usually a pokemon with a high def / sp. def
    A sweeper/ grass type (as it is in diamond, cause my starter is a sweeper)
    Any pokemon I think looks cool and is strong x2

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Ehh...I just train whatever tickles my fancy at the moment, replacing current party memebers as necessary. By the time I've reached the league I usually have some eight to ten reasonably well-trained ones at which point I select the best combination thereof, train them up to scratch, and go with that. Now I can't tolerate shoddy strategy, but since it's ingame I can't be bothered to assemble a team of flawless synergy either. The AI doesn't really call for it so I just take something that works well enough. ^-^ When I find opponents worth the bother, I won't hesitate to train up a proper team (Complete with the right natures, egg moves, EVs etc.) from scratch, though.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I take my Pokemon posters and throw darts at them. Whichever Pokemon gets a needle through its picture wins!

Not really. I just flip through my strategy guides and go by looks. So my team is made up of critters that I think are the most adorable things ever. Then I fine-tune my team when I'm not being such a fangirl.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    For the regular game scenario, I just use any Pokemon that looks good. NPCs are getting smart, but they are still nowhere near a human player.

As for matches against other human players, I have around a box full of EV trained Pokemon, so I mix and match depending on guesses and such.

However, I also have a Poison-type party for fun battles, so go figure.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Crobat (Gengar in R/B/Y) and my starter are always on my in-game team with the other four being one sweeper, two tanks, and one "other" ,usually the first cool ghost/bug/dark type I can acquire.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I always have my Metagross on my team, and usually a second Psychic-Type. The others tend to be of various types, to deal with any Pokemon Type out there. I never stick to the same team(other than Metagross), so that nobody can predict what's coming out next. =D

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    I always keep my (evolved) starter Pokemon with me. Most of the time it's a fire Pokemon, since it's a very rare and strong type.
    (And they're all very pretty. =D)
    Then I pick a bird pokemon (mostly one that lives close to my hometown. It's also the one I teach Fly.)
    Then I train the Pokemon I catch next. I train them 'till I find better Pokemon, that have better stats and attacks (and more different types)

I have most of the time 4 or 5 pokemon that are standard:
    Fire starter, Flying pokemon, Electric Pokemon, a pokemon that nows surf (a water pokemon, but once it was Nidoking)
    The two others are optional.
    I choose Pokemon by there looks, type and strength.

Back