• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you Train Your Pokémon?

What's your Strategies?

• Total voters

Shadowed Team

Kanto/Johto Pokémon Master
Years
  • What Pokémon do you like in your team of six? What strategies do you use? What moves do you aim for? I would love to know and let all you fans share your ideas.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This question could be asked of any game and not just about HGSS tbh, so I'll change the title and move this to Pokemon Gaming Central.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I set myself a target level and then train until I get there. I normally just train against whatever Pokemon I find in the wild. The moves are usually anything that damages, for in-game. The Pokemon I usually use are fast and strong. ;-; I hate using stall when playing against the AI.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I oretty much train until I am exhausted. I set a boundary level, train my main pokemon to that, and the others up to that level minus 1 or two, depending on the next mission.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Usually holding Exp. Shares if I have them! I also train against all the trainers available, and after I've done that against random wild Pokémon [specific ones if I want to EV train]

Oh and I usually pick spots that are either near Pokémon centres or a rest-stop :D That's always useful. I usually train one Pokémon until its almost at fainting point and then switch ^__^

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Mindless grinding until I go insane. I try to set a target level, but I end up getting impatient or too carried away.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I just go to the league and use the best Pokemon for the job. Eventually they get really beefed up like that. But if I haven't gotten to the league I battle gym leaders. Or facing the rival. Basically the strongest available option.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • If it's available, I'll spam the Vs. Seeker. c:

Otherwise I'll resort to grinding on wild pokes. :x

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • Before defeating the Elite Four, I carry the pokemon that are found in the beginning areas of the game, depending on the version. I find it easier to catch pokemon for my team at the beginning of the game and start training them from there then wait for a specific pokemon later in the game. I also almost always have a "Team Leader". The team leader is always at a higher level than the other pokemon, making them the most used and trained of my team. I do this because I'm just so eager to fight the Elite Four and the fastest way to do that for me is to have a team leader.

After the Elite Four, I normally carry one high leveled pokemon following the pokemon I need to train (Not a team leader because I never battle with the pokemon unless I have to.) This provides extra safety when I'm training. What kind of pokemon do I carry? Just about any pokemon, however, I almost never go anywhere without the company of my Vaporeon. Primeape has also grown on me as well.

I bring my pokemon's true potential out by selecting the pokemon it goes against before-hand by determining the EVs it gives. Once we set out, I make sure I have plenty of medicine with me as things may get rough. I try to avoid the fainting of my pokemon at all costs.

Once I'm done with the EV training, I'll start training them for exp. The Lucky Egg serves good use for this, as well as the Elite Four and Audino (B&W)

I suppose I'm one who trains their pokemon individually, rather than a team. I'm not sure if it's a positive or negative thing but that's my style.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • as I go to get the badges and stuff, I place my lower pokemon first. It was a slow process but I raised a heck of a good team.

Shadowed Team

Years
  • Sometimes, I put all my weak Pokemon and then immediately switch to my stronger ones; the weak ones get experience too. Then when I think that they can battle on their own, I train them like that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2012
    I usually try to weaken the pokemon im fighting as much as i can and then the weaker pokemon that i have in my team i will swap in and have finish off the pokemon so they share the XP. i like to keep my pokemon pretty close in level if possible:)

Shadowed Team

Years
  • That's what I also do Seanman37, but I never use that strategy for battling strong opponents like the gym leaders or the elite four, because they use healing items.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • At various points of the game, I keep my starter at a certain level (like a few levels ahead of most in-game opponents) and the rest of my Pokemon 2 levels or so below it.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • Ever tried the Exp. Share technique as you go through the game? It helps me avoid switching to my weaker pokemon whenever I want to switch to fight the next pokemon.

iDason

Elite Botanist Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    In pokemon black and white, usually right before and/or after I beat Lenora, I train all my pokemon to level twenty on Audinos! They are amazing for training!

Back