• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you train?

Mock Z

Can't Think of a Title
Years
  • Hey Pokecommunity! I wanted to start a forum to really get an idea as to what kinds of different options there are out there when it comes to in-game Pokemon training, and what methods you guys use?

So, how do you guys train your Pokemon in game? And what Pokemon are you training right now? Preferably Generation V.

If you don't want to hear about my long, drawling, boring strategy, skip everything below and type out your own response! Otherwise, continue as planned.

Here's how I train my Pokemon:
    I do multiple Elite Four sweeps, and here's how!
    My team will generally consist of three of my Pokemon that are beast at destroying the Elite Four, and three Pokemon that I want to train.
    My team:

Volcarona @ Amulet Coin (For all sorts of good cash)
    lvl 100
    -Psychic
    -Flamethrower
    -Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz

The main sweeper in my team, he could take out the entire Elite Four if he wanted to (on the condition of Full Restores after each battle), except for that pesky Sawk with Sturdy who likes to use Stone Edge. I chose this moveset to take care of the Psychic and Dark types with Bug Buzz, the Fight Types with Psychic, and all the rest with a Quiver Dance-empowered Flamethrower.

Emboar
    lvl 100
    -Wild Charge
    -Blast Burn
    -Brick Break
    -Flamethrower

My backup sweep, Emboar is the substitute when Volcarona can't quite finish the job, and, considering Volcarona's incredible speed, he's gonna get at least one or two hits in before he goes down. Because there aren't any water types besides Sharpedo in the Elite Four, who easily goes down with a first turn Bug Buzz, Emboar still fairs pretty well. Again, he's more of a tank to take damage while I revive Volcarona, or take his place when that pesky Sawk is put in so I can switch out and go head-to-head using my Emboar. Mostly just coverage and insurance in case Volcarona goes down.

Swoobat
    lvl 90
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Fly
    -Air Slash

Swoobat is one of my favorite Pokemon, so he's obviously one of my highest leveled. his moveset really isn't a big issue even though he has a lot more potential than this, considering Swoobat is a backup during the Fight and Ghost battles with his Psyichic and Shadow Ball. Plus, Swoobat is my main flyer in the game, so I always have him in my party, no matter what.

If you guys want to see how I beat the entire Elite Four, I will post my strategy if you ask nicely enough. :D If not, I'll assume you guys pretty much understand how I take care of them.

My training strategy, however, is to put three Pokemon I want to train in my party with the aforementioned Pokemon. I give two of them Exp. Share, and I'll usually give the other one the Macho Brace (or if it's a Pokemon that levels with Happiness, Soothe Bell). I'll put the Macho Brace Pokemon at the front of my party, and then switch to Volcarona at the beginning of each battle. Switch back and forth between Volcarona and the Macho Brace Pokemon at the beginning of each new Pokemon to ensure total XP gain.

And then I just do the Elite Four over and over, while battling Morrimoto, Cheren and Cynthia every day.

Oh, and right now I'm traning my Magic Bounce Espeon as the finishing touch to my competitive team.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Up until I could rematch the Elite Four I used the Stadium and Audino in the Giant Chasm. After I got my Volcarona to high enough levels I just use it to sweep the E4 and have an exp. share on the Pokemon I'm training. It has high IVs and it's EV trained so it can defeat the entire E4 on its own.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Well, in newer games like Black & White I mainly just rely on Audino grinding/trainer battles. I unfortunately stopped playing after beating the main story (for some odd reason... I think I got hooked on another game after beating White version) so I don't remember all my preferred methods. I really need to go back and start playing White again...

However, back in platinum I used to re-battle PI Carlos once his three Goldeens become high level Seakings.
    I would get all my Pokemon's EV training done, trade them back and forth from my Diamond version for boosted experience, then keep grinding on his Seakings for amazing experience.
    Seriously, it would take just a couple of hours to get a pokemon up to level 100.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I used the Marvelous Bridge near the White Forest to fish for EV feathers while battling the occasional Swanna, my Emboar and Hydreigon were easily my strongest Pokemon at the time. At some point though I migrated my guys from Platinum and I simply steamrolled through the E4 and Alder with my Infernape and Garchomp.

Now I prefer to train at the Sports Domes in Nimbasa City when I'm not at the Giant Chasm or the Daycare Center at the time.

That's on my White game though.

On Heart Gold I simply stay within Saffron when not looking for the occasional Pokemon to add to my collection where I tweak with the in-game clock to where I can rematch any Gym Leader I want excluding Blue and I use their teams for easy experience.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]I went to the battle subway and bossed a few win streaks to afford power bracer and things that up specific stats..
    I gave my (79) one for its Defense
    Haxorus (83) on attack
    Lantern (90) on hp
    Serperiour (93) got an exp share
    Darmanitan (98) got an exp share
    Dragonite got a lucky egg until it got to lv 100

Now I level grind at the stadiums.. Occasionally battle cheren and Bianca and if I'm really bored try out the E4[/SIZE]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I train my Pokemon by making my starter a few levels ahead of the NPC Pokemon (wild or trainer-owned), and have the rest of the team be a few levels behind.

And as for the actual training after I beat the game, I choose a Pokemon to train, give it the appropriate vitamins, then do the actual EV training in the appropriate EV training spot, using the PP of its moves to keep track of the EVs it gains. When I'm done, I hop through routes in Unova with Pokemon that have the same level as the Pokemon I just trained, and grind it there. When my Pokemon reaches the 40s, I train it in the Nimbasa Sports domes. Notable Pokemon I've trained this way include Scrafty, Cloyster and Salamence.

Years
  • I just train all my pokemon to a certain level, and once they are all on that level, I set another level goal to train them all up to. And repeat.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I go to the elite 4 with the pokemon I'm trying to train usually holding a lucky egg, then battle like a crazy ducky until my pokemon levels up to a hundred or until I get bored

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    As soon as I can, I ev train pokemon that I want to use post game. And sometimes I train through different regions for ribbons, contests, etc.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In-game, lots of level grinding, keeping everyone about equal in level. I like to be 5-10 levels ahead of a boss trainer battle.

Post-game is when I worry about EV training. Once all the in-game trainers are defeated and all loose ends are tied up, I'll feed my Pokemon EV-reducing berries and then commence EV training. Once the EV's are set the way I want them, then I'll begin the final push to level 100.

I also do breeding, and have specialty Pokemon for contests in Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I raise the most-desired EVs each to 100 with vitamins (the maximum by this means) then battle nonspecific AI trainers and wild monsters thereafter, with Exp. Share until it can fight for itself, then Lucky Egg. The payout from the trainers usually pays for the aforementioned vitamins, such that the process may be cycled quite efficiently with different monsters to train.

BRS

iDon't Know
    Years
    • Age 25
    • LA
    • Seen Jun 2, 2012
    I level up mainly my starter at the start and then i start to train the other pokemon i have. After i beat the game, i can start EV trainnig a bit ^^

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • As soon as I can, I get power items, and then give those to the Pokemon I wish to train, and then play the game normally with random encounters, and trying to catch new Pokemon... Or if I don't feel like hunting for new Pokemon, I bike on Route 10 and look for Audino, and train that way. Nothing too special.

CloudNine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2014
    I EV train all the time now, I go down the Tiers of competitive use. Then EV train each Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    Warning: this is an extremely noob question, when somebody refers to a EV'd pokemon does it mean Evolved? I knoiw IV means individual values but what is EV'd? thanks to anyone that can answer this for me. please PM me the answer cause I seem to lose where my posts go. thanks again from a noob.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Used to beat the Elite Four a few thousand times before i discovered EV training.

Last edited:

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
  • I'll use an example.

For my Volcarona, I EV'd it in Speed/Special Attack/HP first.

For Speed, I gave it 10 Carbos. That's 100 EVs.
    Then I gave it Pokerus, a Power Anklet, and battled Basculin.
    That's (2EVs+4 from Anklet)*2 due to Pokerus, so each Basculin gave 12 EVs in Speed.
    I'd switch Volcarona out and put in a stronger Pokemon to defeat it.

I'd do the same for Special Attack and HP.

Then to grind levels, I gave it Lucky Egg and placed it 1st in my party and switched it out when it was in battle. I'd use Black City and the Stadiums in Nimbasa City, and battled Cherin, Gamefreak Morimoto, Cynthia, the blonde rival (who's name I forgot), and the Elite Four.

Back