• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How Does ORAS Measure Up With the Originals?

Years
    It's all just me learning and getting more used to the mechanics through time, and we'll just have to get used to it.

Game Freak isn't making the games easier, it's just us getting smarter.

Not only that, but the newer games give you so much more than the likes of the older games, including an infinite bag, infinite TM usage, tons of Pokémon to use (especially with B2W2 and XY), tons of different held items, and now we have Pokémon-Amie and Super Training. I could go on but some people will likely understand this.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    They should change the way they approach challenge mode then. I think a lot of people would love a harder region. I don't see why it can't be done without breaking rules. I feel like the remakes should be harder as Pokemon has a lot of loyal fans who have grown up with it. I imagine most people who buy remakes played the older version when they were younger. It would be nice to see a more challenging remake for those who played so long ago.

Its not just Game Freak. Pretty much every game company in existence has this problem. The only way to really do it is to artificially increase the enemies' AI, stats, and movepools.

Saying "I want more challenge" is easy. Actually sitting down, and making said challenge is really hard. Pretty much no company has gotten it "right" because more challenge often means making the game grueling.

For the sake of argument, lets say you decide on increasing all enemy trainers' levels by 10. Well the player can just as easily decided to overlevel themselves. So instead, you then decide on giving enemy trainers increased stats. This is frequently argued against because then players complain about this enemy being too hard to beat. A more competitive movepool and mons? Sure... except you're still limited by the relatively meh ones you found in the early game.

And here's another issue with that: what if a 6 year old who played X one time turns on "Challenge mode" because they think they can handle it? Then you have to deal with the wrath of overzealous parents who are angry that their precious snookums got his butt kicked. It might seem silly, but no one wants to deal with a lawsuit (even a frivolous one) because it damages the brand.

And then you have to actually think of the practical nature of that. If there's two story modes with different teams, you have to have the time to actually make it. And when your publisher (Nintendo) is breathing down your neck to get it out already, you have to ask if it would actually benefit the game.

Lastly, this was attempted once. Gen V had an unlockable hard mode. It was also criticized for many of the things I mentioned before: player facing OP mons with higher levels while forced into mediocre ones that were available at that moment, level disparity, AI being a cheating b... While some liked it, I really didn't see many people using that mode and those who did were "meh" at best about it.

This is seriously a no-win scenario. As I stated before, this game is not targetted to you or me. The part of the game thats meant to challenge older players is the post game and competitive PVP. Thats the hard work for adults. The storyline and fantasy? Thats for the kids who got this game for Christmas, and that's their target audience.

We're a periphery demographic and their way of appealing to us is stuff like giving the old Gen I starters Mega Evos or adding subtle adult storytelling in places like New Mauville, or adding ways to make the competitive post game much easier to break into. Doing more to appease older fans and aligning the series to appeal to them? Sure. Making what is essentially a second version of the game in the game for them to be challenged? Probably not worth the time and effort, especially when you look at many of the other features that would like have been cut to do so (Delta Episode? PokeDex+? Contests?)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    It was... refreshing. I kind of put it down after I beat the game though, whereas I had everything in the world to do after HGSS, it seems.

Maybe I'm still salty about no frontier, but they're really going to have to rock Z or what have you to keep me coming back. I'm still* playing Soul Silver.

Don't get me wrong, Hoenn was vibrant and lovely all over again. And it was cool to mega-evolve Manectric this time around. Wish you could have Wailord as an overworld sprite though, alongside Wailmer. ;_; That was easily my greatest disappointment.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I plowed through OR in roughly 16 hours, with an additional 4 for the Delta Episode, which is about the same as my original Ruby runtime

I enjoyed ruthlessly crushing Wally's hopes and dreams with my superior team

I took on Steven's level 59 Mega Metagross with a level 43 Mightyena without realizing Steel had lost its resistance to Dark type moves, and I didn't have Intimidate as my ability, which really annoyed me and still trounced hum on my first try

Also found out my Manectric didn't have Static, but the hilariously useless Lightning Rod (I don't play competitive pokemon, so I don't use complicated strategies)

Spoiler:

Wally's...er..."battle" theme felt horribly out-of-place, and I wish Zinnia stuck around for rematches

I didn't like what they did to Courtney though; poor girl

Back