• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How feasible is it to hack mystery dungeon RRT (gba) today?

.hack

skunkape
Years
  • I had an idea for a game/ROM Hack that I thought would be interesting and possibly worth pursuing. Unfortunately I've never seen a hack similar to this take shape in anyway, which has me questioning whether actually hacking this game would currently be possible or if there'd be a much easier route to pursue to create my game idea.

This game would potentially be a hack of: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team (GBA)

I was a very amateur hacker in this community many years ago, I'm sure much has changed but it's the idea of this game that has me considering returning to the field.

When I was learning how to ROM hack here; most of the main series games had fully or mostly functioning hacking tools to edit the necessary parts of the ROMS. Looking around the forums I see a lot of these same tools are still in use however I'm not sure if similar tools that exist for this game have reached the same standard.

In my amateur hacking days I excelled at spriting and mapping and writing dialogue/story. I struggled with scripting & hex editing but it made sense to me for those other skills to grow quicker and more naturally as I was already very much into art & graphic design. Without the use of such tools I think making a game like this could be too large a feat to take on alone.

Given the nature of the game I'm trying to make, I can see myself working around my shortcomings in ROM hacking if I can find a way to implement my finished graphics and text into the game.

Hoping to edit
    Pokemon editing - ALL Pokemon sprites, Pokemon moves and learnsets, starters & partner Pokemon (not essential but could be useful).
    Text editor - For all dialogue between characters and other text in the game, so the story can be implemented in place of the original.
    Basic Map editing - The way I see it there's only one set of key maps I need to edit and that's the home town maps, further editing could prove useful after finishing the main story, speech & sprite changes (but I don't see editing dungeon, friend areas, interiors or world maps as essential to the game currently).
    I mean these maps:
    Spoiler:

I'm still in the early days of researching if making this game is possible, but I have looked around the ROM hacking forums here to little avail, I will continue to search the web and other rom hacking communities for answers but wanted to start here as it is where I started all those years ago. I was hoping this thread could act as a hub for information on hacking the GBA version of the spin-off game and it's current possibilities and limitations.

Would love to attract a few people also interested in this area of ROM Hacking so if you potentially have any of the knowledge this thread is seeking please comment with what you know and/or what you've found and I could eventually update this top post with everything found & understood. If there is already such a place on these forums, I apologise as I was not aware, please point me in that direction.

Sorry for the long first post and if this isn't in the best section (was unsure where to post) but felt this was too big a query for a basic ROM hacking Q&A thread.

Years
  • I would be interested as well actually. A few things would be needed but hopefully we could get started with just a few tables and the sort. I know there is already a randomizer, it's only a matter of time before we can find other tables containing more important information.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2018
    I would be interested in this as well. From looking over the datacrystal page posted above, it seems that editing the pokemon data as well as the list of starter and partner pokemon would be relatively simple, as the locations of everything are already on that site. The dungeon data is also well documented. Editing text also shouldn't be too hard.

Editing the maps you wanted would probably be a little trickier, because it doesn't look like that is anywhere on that datacrystal page. The only thing I see related to the main town is the location of all the Pokemon square scripts.

I'm going to start playing around with things and see what I can do.

Back