• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How is Gen 7 looking so far in terms of competitive battling?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Would you say it has potential in terms of producing a healthy metagame? Or is it still plagued by broken Pokemon that need ridiculous clauses in order to keep them in control? I think it's safe to say that generations 5 and 6 brought some nasty changes to the game that, ultimately, made the job of making a "healthy" metagame even harder. How do you think Pokemon Sun and Moon fare so far in terms of competitive battling? Will different playstyles finally see almost an equal amount of play, or will stall still be as difficult to build as it did before?

I'll post my thoughts later when I've explored most of what Pokemon Sun and Moon brought with it. In the mean time, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks SuMo has in store for competitive.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Would you say it has potential in terms of producing a healthy metagame? Or is it still plagued by broken Pokemon that need ridiculous clauses in order to keep them in control? I think it's safe to say that generations 5 and 6 brought some nasty changes to the game that, ultimately, made the job of making a "healthy" metagame even harder. How do you think Pokemon Sun and Moon fare so far in terms of competitive battling? Will different playstyles finally see almost an equal amount of play, or will stall still be as difficult to build as it did before?

I'll post my thoughts later when I've explored most of what Pokemon Sun and Moon brought with it. In the mean time, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks SuMo has in store for competitive.

I really think its going to be tricky and I would expect Metagross and Garchomp to reemerge and top players. I know this year its Alohan only. next year opens up to everything. I know this cripples me and have to rebuild. Just dk who to do that with

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    It's interesting to see that 101 speed is now what is considered "average." I guess the massive power creep introduced in gen 5/6 is what caused this, but this doesn't overshadow the fact that gen 7 metagames will probably still be heavily favoured towards hyper offense / offense in general. I'm not saying that stall / defensive-teams will be forgotten since a lot of defensive 'mons were also introduced alongside what we currently have, but people generally prefer going the offensive route. Z-Moves seem uninteresting competitively speaking, since it forces you to waste an item slot.

Anyway, these are just initial thoughts based from what I've read. My opinions might change once I've gotten a couple of battles under my belt though.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • From what I have experienced in VGC 2017 so far, there isn't anything broken. All of the Tapu's have checks and counters, and the ultra beasts have weaknesses that can be exploited. Alolan Marowak is extremely common, but Pelipper really counters it. Oranguru is surprisingly frail, so trick room isn't that bad despite all of the slow Alola pokemon.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    From what I have experienced in VGC 2017 so far, there isn't anything broken. All of the Tapu's have checks and counters, and the ultra beasts have weaknesses that can be exploited. Alolan Marowak is extremely common, but Pelipper really counters it. Oranguru is surprisingly frail, so trick room isn't that bad despite all of the slow Alola pokemon.
    A couple of questions: which Pokemon would you consider a staple for VGC 2017? Do you think Z-Moves will have an impact at all?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • A couple of questions: which Pokemon would you consider a staple for VGC 2017? Do you think Z-Moves will have an impact at all?

I just started playing like 3 days ago and also did some googling for most commonly used pokemon and some youtubing on what some of the top players are using.

So far I haven't seen a single Z-move. Ive used electric Z on my Tapu Koko, but i switched that out for the Life Orb after a couple matches. The problem is that it uses an item slot and it can only be used once. If you want a Z move for damage, its probably better to use Life Orb, Choice Specs/Band, plates, etc. Whatever else is viable.

Im actually trying out Darkinium Z Silvally right now (only been 2 games- one of which i used Silvally), but I haven't had the opportunity to use Parting Shot yet. I have a tanky team, so a Parting Shot would really do in my opponents after them being whittled down. And then having to deal with a full health tanky mon while having reduced offensive stats... its hard to come back from that.

Ill tell you how that works out, and if its good, ill tell you the EV's and move set. Until i try it out for real, its a waste of time to even talk about it.

Years
  • I don't think Z-moves should be completely discounted but I agree they won't have that big an impact on the meta. It's going to be the status Z-moves that hit the hardest. Z-Splash, Z-Belly Drum and Z-Conversion come to mind as particularly potent Z-moves.

Overall I don't think the meta is actually going to change much at all quite frankly. Gen 7 hasn't really introduced anything particularly game changing in practice.

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
  • I haven't started with the Smogon battles yet since I have yet to build my tier teams. But for VGC this year, it's more balanced out imo. The stalls, however, is still dreadfully long.

Sirfetch’d

I feel like Z-moves as a whole fare a lot better in doubles where strategies come more into play as opposed to Smogon singles. You switch a LOT less in VGC so your potential Z status sweep won't be for naught.

As for the gen 7 meta as a whole, I think it will be OK. Right now thinks are wonky because Genesect and Pheromosa are running free. That will change in a few weeks and we will have a fun established meta. Weather teams are definitely going to be making a comeback with Pelipper and Alolan Ninetales being pretty solid setters.

Back