• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to show second region map?

Hyrine008

Aspiring Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2017
    If I'm in a region how can I show a second region on an event on something such as a wall map?

Hyrine008

Aspiring Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2017

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
    When it comes to showing maps, the default call for the region you're currently in would be pbShowMap(-1), if you've set it up the same way as the wiki, provided methods haven't changed in updates, it should be pbShowMap(0) for your next region.

Hyrine008

Aspiring Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2017
    When it comes to showing maps, the default call for the region you're currently in would be pbShowMap(-1), if you've set it up the same way as the wiki, provided methods haven't changed in updates, it should be pbShowMap(0) for your next region.
    No matter what number i use it always shows the region labeled as [0] in the townmap pbs file.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    You are sure that you put in the townmap.txt something like:
    Code:
    [1]
    Name=Tiall Region
    Filename=mapRegion1.png
    Point=13,16,"Here",,,,,
    Check also mapRegion1.png image on Pictures folder.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Hey guys!
    New member of the community here! I have been reading you guys for quite some time now, but this is my first active... action :D

I was unsure to revive this old thread… I was about to open a new one, but at the last moment I found this one with the exact same issue I'm facing. If it's better to open a new one, just tell me please. As I said, I'm a new member of the community, and I wanna do it right :P

So, as I said, I have the exact same problem Hyrine008 had. I follow everything the wikia used to say (it's closed now…), but it doesn't work. I have mapRegion0.png, mapRegion1.png and mapRegion2.png. I wrote those file names on the townmap.txt file from the PBS folder, and I gave some events the scripts pbShowMap, pbShowMap(0), pbShowMap(1) and pbShowMap(2). I understand pbShowMap and pbShowMap(0) should show the same one (cause I'm in the 0 one), but I made all these events and maps just for the test now (only the first one is mine, the other two are the ones that come with Essentials).

The thing is all of them show me just the first map, with the point names and everything from the first map in the townmap.txt file.

I just don't get what I'm doing wrong… Maybe I need to change something in the Script Editor? Maybe it's a matter of unlocking other regions somehow…? I have no idea.

I'm attatching proof of my PNGs, the events, and a simplified version of the townmap.txt.

PBS file:
    Spoiler:

Events:
    Spoiler:

PNGs:
    Spoiler:

Please help me with this. I'd hugely appreciate it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    No matter what number i use it always shows the region labeled as [0] in the townmap pbs file.
    theres a sample of the event script in essentials at the pokemon centers. Also it does say how to do it on the wiki, I just did it myself last week because I was trying to do the same thing

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    But... in the Pokémon Centers you only get the current one, pbShowMap, right? You're saying you've used different maps with different numbers, like pbShowMap(1) for example, and that it worked for you? Or just the regular default one?

Damn, I just don't get what's wrong with mine... Have you seen the pictures and stuff I attatched?

This is a pretty important part of my game, and it would really suck if I didn't manage to do it... :(

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    But... in the Pokémon Centers you only get the current one, pbShowMap, right? You're saying you've used different maps with different numbers, like pbShowMap(1) for example, and that it worked for you? Or just the regular default one?

Damn, I just don't get what's wrong with mine... Have you seen the pictures and stuff I attatched?

This is a pretty important part of my game, and it would really suck if I didn't manage to do it... :(

That's because they do it as if you "unlock" the new areas, meaning what's available at first is the original region, then later in the game you unlock more of the region, which unlocks more of the map. So the one in the Pokémon center will show the starting map, then after certain conditions are met, which it should show in the wall map event, then it'll change to a bigger region map.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Hm.

First of all, thank you for trying to help me.

But I'm not sure I understood what you meant. You're saying that, as you go to the second region for example, the map on the Pokémon Center wall will show you the Region Map of that region, right? This I know, cause that event has the pbShowMap which shows the current map. But you also mention the wall map event should show the conditions to show each map. The only thing the Poké Center wall map that comes in my Essentials has is the pbShowMap script... But I guess that IS enough to show the current map of each region.

But let me explain my intentions, so maybe you understand better what I want (if it's better to make a new thread, again, please tell me):
    My game takes place in the real world. This means, I mapped my real-life town, and have the intention of mapping the ones surrounding it. So I want two kinds of maps:

- The first one is for each town. At the end I decided it'd be better to treat each town as a new region so I could have a Region Map for each, and I could just call pbShowMap in each town. As I said, they're real-life towns, not the classic four house towns. So they're fairly big, so much in comparison that I think it's okay to consider them regions. And I wanted a map for each for the people who don't know all the towns and need to go to a certain place for example. I'd like them in the PokéGear but I'd be fine if I could only have them in wall maps.
    - The second type shows the whole area, with the towns and routes. The classic-looking one. This is the one I do want in the PokéGear. It's the one I'd want the flying points to be in cause I'm only interested in town to town flying (inter-region flying, let's say), no "in-town" flying.

Do you think this is possible? I think it would mean having a map-within-a-map, and that might be tricky... I'd preffer it this way, but if this isn't possible, I guess I could also maybe use some script to just show some PNGs, even if the game itself doesn't treat it as a map. I could use these ones for town maps, and then I'd only need the normal map. Besides, having it like that would mean I wouldn't need to treat each town as a new region, so I wouldn't need the "inter-region" flying, which I'm not even sure is possible... I would have to sacrifice having position names like say "The Mall" or whatever, but anyway, I guess I'd make it clear in the PNGs somehow.

Sorry for the long post... Please tell me what you think of this all :P And also what you think of the idea if you want :)

I should say that even if I've been at it for months (on and off), I managed to get this far with no knowledge of Ruby. But I recently decided to start learning it, cause... yeah, I need it :P

Again, thank you SO MUCH for reading and trying to help.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    Hm.

First of all, thank you for trying to help me.

But I'm not sure I understood what you meant. You're saying that, as you go to the second region for example, the map on the Pokémon Center wall will show you the Region Map of that region, right? This I know, cause that event has the pbShowMap which shows the current map. But you also mention the wall map event should show the conditions to show each map. The only thing the Poké Center wall map that comes in my Essentials has is the pbShowMap script... But I guess that IS enough to show the current map of each region.

But let me explain my intentions, so maybe you understand better what I want (if it's better to make a new thread, again, please tell me):
    My game takes place in the real world. This means, I mapped my real-life town, and have the intention of mapping the ones surrounding it. So I want two kinds of maps:

- The first one is for each town. At the end I decided it'd be better to treat each town as a new region so I could have a Region Map for each, and I could just call pbShowMap in each town. As I said, they're real-life towns, not the classic four house towns. So they're fairly big, so much in comparison that I think it's okay to consider them regions. And I wanted a map for each for the people who don't know all the towns and need to go to a certain place for example. I'd like them in the PokéGear but I'd be fine if I could only have them in wall maps.
    - The second type shows the whole area, with the towns and routes. The classic-looking one. This is the one I do want in the PokéGear. It's the one I'd want the flying points to be in cause I'm only interested in town to town flying (inter-region flying, let's say), no "in-town" flying.

Do you think this is possible? I think it would mean having a map-within-a-map, and that might be tricky... I'd preffer it this way, but if this isn't possible, I guess I could also maybe use some script to just show some PNGs, even if the game itself doesn't treat it as a map. I could use these ones for town maps, and then I'd only need the normal map. Besides, having it like that would mean I wouldn't need to treat each town as a new region, so I wouldn't need the "inter-region" flying, which I'm not even sure is possible... I would have to sacrifice having position names like say "The Mall" or whatever, but anyway, I guess I'd make it clear in the PNGs somehow.

Sorry for the long post... Please tell me what you think of this all :P And also what you think of the idea if you want :)

I should say that even if I've been at it for months (on and off), I managed to get this far with no knowledge of Ruby. But I recently decided to start learning it, cause... yeah, I need it :P

Again, thank you SO MUCH for reading and trying to help.

Honestly, everything you're saying you want to do is exactly what is described in the wiki. just go to the page on multiple regions.
    all you have to do is edit the PBS and add the points on the map that you want to define. o in your case you would make your first town be the first region on the pbs as number 0, then the next town be number 1 and so on and itll display each region as each part of the map.
    but again the wiki for pokemon essentials specifically mentions how this is done with every detail. Just look that up and youll be just fine. it's very straightforward. I took a look at it just now just to double check and it covers everything you mentioned.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Jesus Christ... I sure must sound pretty stupid to you right now :D
    The problem was in the metadata.txt. I didn't have any actual maps linked to the second region yet, so I guess it doesn't recognize it or something.
    I've been looking for the answer to this for days. It's not like asking was my first option... Actually it's the last resource. As I've said, I've been working on this for months on and off, and this has been my first question here. But in all this time I never found the "Multiple Regions" page, just the "Region Map" one.
    Anyway, this worked, so thanks a lot, and I'm really sorry I asked for something that was on the wiki.

But actually, I would still have the problem of the general map, right? I mean, doing it this way gives me a Region Map for each town, but I wouldn't be able to have a map covering all towns and routes (the classic looking one with the towns holding just 1-2 squares).
    In metadata.txt, MapPosition only gives you one space to choose a region, so as one "game map" can't be in two Region Maps at the same time (making the Map-within-a-Map thing), showing the Player at the Hospital in the Town 1 map, and in Town 1 in the "general map", would not be possible I guess (maybe if I touch something in the Script Editor, which I can't do on my own yet).

So, sadly, I guess I'm gonna have to settle with having just one real map, the general one, which shows you in which town you are and how to go to the rest of them (and this is the one that will also be shown when you wanna fly, which is what I want), and if it is possible, showing the town maps as simple PNGs. Or do you (or anyone else) know how to make the "map-within-a-map" thing? If you tell me it's in the wiki I'm gonna kill myself :D But before I do it, please tell me what page of the wiki so I can die in piece :D

If this isn't possible, do you at least know of a way of just showing a PNG?

Thanks a lot man. Really.

Last edited:
    Back