• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How Well Do You Know The English Names?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    With today's European release, and the American release just two days away, I have to wonder - how well do you know the English names (if you were around for the Japanese release?) Clearly, to actually play through the games without being blind, you need to know them. Do you know them all? Most of them? Only a few? None?

How easy was it to learn them? Do you still call them by their Japanese names? At this point is it worth learning the English ones after you've known the Japanese ones since the start?

Personally, I've learned about three fourths of the names. It's just the end of the Pokedex and a few odd ones here and there that I've yet to learn. I just went to a list with the Official Art for them and their names below them, and just quizzed myself. It's actually worked pretty well so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Adding a few more questions into your thread to differentiate it between the English names discussion thread.

By the way guys, this is about whether you can remember the names and how you learnt them rather than your opinions of the names, that goes in the discussion thread.

Anyways, for me, it didn't take that long to learn all the English names. Maybe that was because I tried to avoid using the Japanese names as much as I could to make it easier to learn the English ones. As for how I learnt them, I didn't look at images + memorise or anything, I really think I learnt most just by posting around here and discussing them. I find it muuuch easier to remember the English ones, though.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
    Well, the English names now come as odd to me...
    This was the first time in my life that I really had unlimited internet access when a new Generation of Pokemon was released, so of course I was all over it. I came to recognize all the new Pokemon by their original names. I still even say the Japanese names over the English names most of the time.. I've bonded to the original names, I will most likely nickname all my Pokemon their Japanese names. ;;

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
    I call them by their japanese names.
    the english ones are hard to remember once you memorize the japanese names.
    i still call Darminitan Hihidaruma, volcarona Ulagamoth, and so on.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I only know about ten English names. But that's soon going to be fixed, as I always end up knowing them all. I can recite any Pokemon's name up to the 4th generation by looking at its graphics, and I can imagine its graphics by listening to its name. That's soon going to be true for the 5th generation too.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I know a few English names (Foongus, Amoongus, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy, Serperior, Dewott, Samurott, Pignite, Emboar, Swoonbat, Woobat, Cincino...) and a few Japanese names (Burungel, Daikenki, Tsutarja, Mijumaru, Pokabu, Chillarmy, Burungeru...) I'm sure I'll know all of the English names when I actually get the game. :P

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I know about half of them off by heart, but yeah I know all the Jap names. I guess I will get used to them all when I get the game.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I know a few English names but I'll do the same I've done since Red... I'll play the game and the names will naturally come to me over a short period of time.

Ian Watkins

^Is a total tart. X3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    really don't know a lot of them to be honest, but I'm sure they'll come to me. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    How easy was it to learn them?: It took me a few hours to learn the new names, and then a few days to get used to them.
    Do you still call them by their Japanese names?: Not anymore.
    At this point is it worth learning the English ones after you've known the Japanese ones since the start?:
    Yes, definitely.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Still call a majority of them by their Japanese name, and even more by no name at all as I don't have all of them memorized haha. Until this gen, I never had memorized Japanese names, so now that I have to get to know their English names as well, it's all a bit awkward and tedious. Still, I've managed to memorize a few like Tepig, Snivy, and Chandelure... aka my favorites.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    It'll take a while to memorize the English names (I didn't pay attention to the Japanese ones anyway so I wouldn't be confused). I'll probably look thorough my Unova Dex to see the names of Pokemon.

MiSoRamen

Flying with Skyla
    Years
    I know most of the Pokemon as their Japanese names, but I will refer to them in their English names.
    I find myself going on google every time I am talking about a pokemon using it's English name!

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I only know a few English names, but unless the English name is absolutely horrible (Tepig? Really?) I try using the English names with increasing regularity. I've been listening to "Can't Stop (Catchin' Them All)" to help memorize them :3

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I know the starters names and a few others. But I still do not know a lot of them. It will prob change when I start playing the games.

Also people who don't like the names. Remember it is their species not a name.

Back