• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't get why two of my maps keep crashing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Two of my maps keep causing my game to crash whenever I use them and I don't quite understand why. None of the other maps crash when I am wandering around on them, but if I wander around on these two, they inevitably crash and the debug says something about a few lines of code in Pokemon Field, specifically stuff talking about the Soot Sack and Soot Grass.

However, I've done nothing related to Soot Sack or Soot Grass (... although I'd LOVE to; is there a tutorial/example for that?), and I haven't touched this section of Pokemon Field.

I tried re-making one of the maps, but the new version crashes too. (Although at least it doesn't flip out over the leftovers anymore....)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could take a look at the images/maps attached to this post and help me figure out how to fix this. :<

Thank you!

Last edited:
    Years
    Have you accidentally changed any of the terrain tags? That's the only thing I can think of.
    To add soot stuff, it's already in essentials. You just need to add a tile for it to you tileset, change it's terrain tag to 14 and put it overtop of another (grass tileset). It explains it in more detail in the wiki

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I don't think I've changed any of the terrain tags that would affect these tiles.... (I did accidentally delete some building tiles that I had to add back, but all the affected tiles were far below the nature tiles when this happened.) I don't think there's any tiles that ONLY these two maps share that might be guilty of causing the crash if that's the case; I think all of the tiles on these two maps are used elsewhere with no ill effects. :/ When I checked the tileset editor, none of these tiles were tagged as "14." I wonder if Petal Road's issue maybe has something to do with the placement of my berry plants or the placement of my ledge beneath the berry plants. The crashing started around the same time I was experimenting with the berry plants before. I also wonder if ledge layering problems are causing the Labyrinth to crash, since it always seem to crash whenever I jump over that first ledge after I added bushes..... Hmm.... TO SCIENCE!

Thanks though (especially regarding soot. I remember looking at the wiki for it a while back but didn't quite absorb how to do it for some reason, your description is very clear though).

EDIT:
    Apparently Berry trees do not like being near the top edge of a map; they were crashing too when I went to pick them (and my sprite was standing on top of the tree's top rather than below it), but I moved them down one row and now they work properly.

The map itself is still broken and still gives me the same crash message as before. I tried giving myself a soot sack, but that didn't help.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    we need also map info to look an this maps
    but you could try to copy the ma and past it in the same game than you can delete the old maps and finish
    Ah, ok. Adding the map info file now, as well as slightly updated (though still broken) versions of 93 and 78.

I did make a new version of one of the maps; it still did not work and gives me the same error.

These maps are completely surrounded on at least three sides (Petal Road is completely surrounded on three sides, and the Labyrinth is completely surrounded on all four); could that be the problem? Do maps not like having high connectivity to other maps?

EDIT: High connectivity doesn't seem to be the issue. :/ I removed the Labyrinth from the main cluster of maps and it still crashed when I was on Petal Road, though not as quickly. I'm including a picture of what it looked like before I took the Labyrinth off to illustrate what I'm talking about. The two maps that are having the issue are the ones directly under the city that's on the top-right of the image.
    View attachment 71423

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If you look at the error, you'll see that it's not caused by the SootGrass terrain tag or the Soot Sack. It's caused by the game trying to use the first array entry of a variable that is in fact set to nil (which means it isn't an array and doesn't have a first entry). Said variable is thistile.

Line 1425 sets thistile to nil, which means the event in question (whatever that is - I can't tell from the supplied information) is outside the bounds of the current map, but there is no connected map that would be in its location.

Answer: Make sure you've got all the map connections done properly.

Back