• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen I don't think I properly get the DexNav…

Years
  • So I've heard things about how the DexNav makes it easy to get things with good IVs and even Egg moves and hidden abilities, but my success with it has not been too great. I mean, I've been able to use it and get it to work, but is there some trick I need to get accustomed to before I can really start hunting down good stuff? I've transferred a lot of extras I have in X that have 5 perfects, but want to be able to breed here…

Anyone else as dumbfounded by how it works as I am? Discuss.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Far as I can tell, there's no tricks. Just a matter of constantly using it (or otherwise encountering certain pokemon) in order to boost the search level for each poke. And searching again immediately after KO'ing the last one you found, but I think that kinda goes without saying. :P
    The higher the level, the more likely it seems you are to get another hit when you search again, and to get perfect IVs, better egg moves, hidden abilities, etc.

Sucks leveling it up when you start out, though. I really wanted to find a Roselia with Leaf Storm because breeding for it is ridiculous, but my search level for Roselia is like 30 and I still rarely get a hit when I search. :c

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Far as I can tell, there's no tricks. Just a matter of constantly using it (or otherwise encountering certain pokemon) in order to boost the search level for each poke. And searching again immediately after KO'ing the last one you found, but I think that kinda goes without saying. :P
    The higher the level, the more likely it seems you are to get another hit when you search again, and to get perfect IVs, better egg moves, hidden abilities, etc.

Sucks leveling it up when you start out, though. I really wanted to find a Roselia with Leaf Storm because breeding for it is ridiculous, but my search level for Roselia is like 30 and I still rarely get a hit when I search. :c

But leaf storm is a level up move of Victreebell, Exeggcute, Bellossom, Sunflora, (whatever the last form of Nuzleaf is), Tropius, the entire Turtwig line, and the entire Snivy line, all of which can be direct parents for Roselia

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    But leaf storm is a level up move of Victreebell, Exeggcute, Bellossom, Sunflora, (whatever the last form of Nuzleaf is), Tropius, the entire Turtwig line, and the entire Snivy line, all of which can be direct parents for Roselia

Yeah but I don't use any of those pokes, nor have them as far as I know, so it would mean actually acquiring them and leveling them up quite a bit. {XD}
    It's something they learn at fairly high levels, yes? 50-67-ish?

Years
  • Yeah, there's no real trick to using the DexNav other than to just keep using it..and possibly staying away from any areas with moving Trainers, because they're almost always going to scare off the Pokemon you're after and the only way I know of to do anything about this is to beat them in battle, assuming battling them is even an option in the first place.

Yeah but I don't use any of those pokes, nor have them as far as I know, so it would mean actually acquiring them and leveling them up quite a bit. {XD}
    It's something they learn at fairly high levels, yes? 50-67-ish?

Looking around, most apparently don't get it until their in the upper 40s or higher at the earliest, so yeah, it would still be a bit of a grind. You may be able to breed it onto some of them, but that would probably just be more work.

Dustmop

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Looking around, most apparently don't get it until their in the upper 40s or higher at the earliest, so yeah, it would still be a bit of a grind. You may be able to breed it onto some of them, but that would probably just be more work.

M'hmm, even at "only" 43 for Snivy, if I can just find it on a Roselia and avoid grinding for hours until the father has it, plus evolving a Budew (happiness is the most mundane requirement), I'd be so much happier, haha.

It was like Poison Fang on my Mightyena. Sure, finding a Seviper with it isn't a problem, I have access to a Seviper safari, but Seviper and Mightyena hated each other and didn't want to breed. I'd rather just find it wild now that I have the option, lol.

Years
  • So does getting in more successful finds with it raise my chances of finding something with more potential and/or an Egg move? Am I more likely to find something like that if the search level is higher? Does that increase over time with finds? I would hope there's more to it than just using it and hoping for the best.

Years
  • So does getting in more successful finds with it raise my chances of finding something with more potential and/or an Egg move? Am I more likely to find something like that if the search level is higher? Does that increase over time with finds? I would hope there's more to it than just using it and hoping for the best.
    Search level increases as you continue to meet a pokemon of that species. Let's say your search level for zizagoon will increase if you keep meeting zizagoons. I read somewhere that you need to KO them or something, but if I'm not wrong, I do remember my search level increased from running away from them as well, so KOing them might only be required for chaining.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    The only thing I don't get is what I can do to make the one I'm searching for appear. I know if I KO or catch it, it will be there right afterwards. But sometimes I mess up and need to find one all over again, and that can take forever.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • This is what I've gathered so far in my experience:

Search Level: The higher the search level, the more information the dexnav provides you. It will indicate notable rare moves, held items, IV potentials, hidden abilities, overpowered levels, and national dex Pokemon such as Zorua. You can grind/increase the search level by encountering the species in single battles or horde battles. It is speculated that a higher search level increases your odds at finding a shiny. However, you ought to chain for a shiny Pokemon.

Chaining: This will increase your chances of finding a rare or good IV Pokemon. Use repel and then Search for any caught species using the dexnav.
    • When chaining, you must either KO or capture the Pokemon. Do not flee.
    • Click Search again immediately after the battle ends and remain still until dexnav Finds something. Then, Sneak to that next Pokemon.
    • If you'd like to walk around cautiously, then... you may Sneak to other triggered shaking spots. If you simply encounter a wild Pokemon (i.e. you're not using your repels), the encounter can break the chain.
    • When dexnav cannot Find any more Pokemon, you may either Search for a different species or walk around a bit until a shaking spot naturally triggers. Sneak up to that new shaking spot and continue the chain, regardless of its species.
    • You may Search for a different species and not break the chain. You can begin the chain with one species and then transition to some other species as long as it is a Sneak.
    • Do not leave the route.
    • If you want to take a break, put your 3DS in sleep mode while in a battle rather than standing around.
    • Do not use the itemfinder nor the bicycle in the area. If you activate these items near a shaking spot, the Pokemon may run away.
    • Avoid running. If you run around and a shaking spot naturally triggers, you risk scaring away the Pokemon and breaking the chain. Run several tiles away from grassy areas if you need to "recharge" the dexnav if it won't Find anything.
    • Roaming trainers that literally run into the shaking spot will scare away the Pokemon and break your chain.
    • Trading does not break your chain. I tested this myself.
    • Basically, search level is unique to the particular species (i.e. Swablu), but the chain increases for every successful Dexnav Sneak (I rotated between some 3 Pokemon on a route and my chain continued).
    You will find that your chain is successfully continuing as the wild Pokemon's level rises. Every 5th consecutive battle has a Pokemon with a very high level compared to the route. After every set of 5, the other Pokemon's base levels rise by 1 level. For example, I encountered these on route 114 with the Swablu and Seviper/Zangoose:
    1st to 4th battles: Level 19
    5th battle: Level 29
    6th to 9th battles: Level 20
    10th battle: Level 30
    11th to 14th battles: Level 21
    15th battle: Level 31
    16th to 19th battles: Level 22
    20th battle: Level 32
    21st to 24th battles: Level 23
    25th battle: Level 33
    and so on.

Obviously, the level may climb as well as into the 60s. At some point, the dexnav resets the level of the wild Pokemon to prevent this. Your chain still continues. More information here.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The only thing I don't get is what I can do to make the one I'm searching for appear. I know if I KO or catch it, it will be there right afterwards. But sometimes I mess up and need to find one all over again, and that can take forever.
    You go to the DexNav, stand near a patch of grass, press the Pokémon you wanna search for and press search. Of course, it only works for Pokémon you've caught before.

Back