• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen I has a sad for Kyogre/Primal Kyogre.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Playing Omega Ruby at the moment. It's terrific; not as good as X/Y in terms of storyline in my opinion because it seems to be progressing much faster but overall it might be the better game. Most things about it are just a slight improvement, from the graphics to the features like DexNav (seriously, if Sun & Moon doesn't have that...)

But I think one of the coolest things is Primal Reversion. Hoooooo man is it cool. But here's my main point.

Why did Kyogre get such a raw deal in ORAS?! I cannot make sense of how inferior Kyogre is to Groudon. Groudon gets an extra typing, which you wouldn't love so much if it didn't have Desolate Land as an ability, cos of the 4x water weakness. But you throw in Desolate Land... fucking hell. Even up against a powerful ground type it's going to survive a hit thanks to its bulk.

Meanwhile, Kyogre doesn't get a second type. But the key thing is, Desolate Land provides Groudon with a MASSIVE advantage by cutting out one of its main weakness. Primordial Sea might render fire-type moves useless, but that doesn't help Kyogre, since fire-type moves wouldn't have been very effective anyway.

POOR KYOGRE! GROUDON 4EVA!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ironically it used to be for the longest time that Kyogre shit on Groudon instead of the other way around like it is now.

As for the question of why.....it's Game Freak, I have long since stopped expecting them to make sense and balance things well

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Groudon fans have been getting the short end of the stick for more than a decade. It was about time the tables flipped and the superior legendary stood on top.

I recall getting bummed once I saw Primal Groudon's typing. It's like they thought Groudon didn't job to Kyogre enough...then I saw those abilities.
    I has a sad for Kyogre/Primal Kyogre.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    hahaha love the gif.

Care to explain to someone who is too young why Kyogre was better than Groudon back in the day.....?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Don't worry, the storyline is great. Well, until the "battle resort" anyways.
    Kyogre isn't bad, it's just that, yeah, it used to be better, and they wanted Groudon to get some attention.

Years
  • They might have been trying to hem in Kyogre, because of its type advantage out of those two. In addition, they couldn't let Groudon get too powerful comparatively due to cutting out Kyogre's Water-type moves, and hence seem to have tried to counter this somewhat.

Given that both had to be pushed significantly, as it were, for their new forms, they probably didn't want to keep Kyogre's type advantage too clear over Groudon's new form. They might have adjusted slightly strangely, though.

Avablitz

Guardian of the Ruins
    Years
  • But even with the extra type, Groudon is murdered by Kyogre, primal or not. Origin Pulse is a pretty powerful move and I swept the Elite Four with it. Plus what extra type would you have given to a legendary of the ocean? Ice type would be the closest but nothing would have fit.

Also Team Magma how did you get on these forums?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    But even with the extra type, Groudon is murdered by Kyogre, primal or not. Origin Pulse is a pretty powerful move and I swept the Elite Four with it. Plus what extra type would you have given to a legendary of the ocean? Ice type would be the closest but nothing would have fit.

Primal Groudon effectively counters Primal Kyogre. With Desolate Land in effect, Kyogre's primary STAB Water moves and Thunder are no use. ALL it has is Ice Beam, which does neutral damage, and isn't particularly good against Primal Groudon since it only does chip damage.

The only situation where Kyogre has the upper hand against Groudon is if it switches in on it and activates Primordial Sea, but...that's risky, because Precipice Blade hits Kyogre really hard. (Guaranteed 2HKO on a healthy Kyogre.) So yeah, Kyogre loses this matchup handedly now, when it was the opposite before.

Primal Groudon is pretty much the king of Uber and VGC.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    But even with the extra type, Groudon is murdered by Kyogre, primal or not. Origin Pulse is a pretty powerful move and I swept the Elite Four with it. Plus what extra type would you have given to a legendary of the ocean? Ice type would be the closest but nothing would have fit.

But it can't use Origin Pulse unless it switches it in to overtake with Primordial Sea, and if it does that it risks being knocked out without using it by Precipice Blades. So you're wrong

Years
  • It is interesting how Kyogre was once the superior one, but now in the era of the Primals it's Groudon who had the upper hand due to a removal of a weakness and only left with just a Ground weakness. Kyogre can't even learn many moves that can get past Primal Groudon.

The only way Primal Kyogre would win is if it came into battle after Groudon did since the ability activates for the second one to enter the battle. So if Groudon was sent out second, Desolate Land would activate while Kyogre would activate Primordial Sea if it was sent out after Groudon.

Years
  • From a looks perspective, I much prefer Kyogre, and its Primal form as well, compared to Groudon.
    Groudon's not bad, although his Primal is meh at best in my eyes. While Primal Kyogre... pretty!!
    Makes me kinda regret getting OR instead of AS, because all the sapphire and all the blue from AS is waaaay prettier (looking at you, title screen-that-I-have-to-see-every-time-I-start-up-the-game-so-I-might-as-well-have-something-prettier-to-look-at.)

I much prefer Kyogre, and I much prefer Latias. It's a wonder I even picked OR at all.
    But I had FR and HG due to originally having Red and Gold, and I have Ruby, so I had to get the remake version of it. I do also own Sapphire, but it's in Japanese and not my "main" one. Instead, I have a digital copy of AS that I set to Japanese.

Also, Primal Kyogre has a really pretty shiny form.

I feel like you as well, Ruby was the original game I played but I grew to love Kyogre much better and blue is a much prettier colour than red, so it was clear that AS was the remake I ended up playing.

Back