• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have a confession.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Today, I would like to confess that for the longest time, I've always HATED Charizard. Yep, all the way since Gen 1. Charmander was my first Pokemon ever. Most people get super attached to their first Starter, but not me. I hated it. When it evolved into charizard, I hated it being dual fire/flying. Pretty lame when a Raichu can own your very first Pokemon. I replaced my Charizard with an Arcanine, and I have been in love with it since.

Arcanine has been my favorite Pokemon since Gen 1, and I won countless battles with it. But now in this generation, I was a little iffy about Charizard. Two mega evolutions, and two new abilities that promised Charizard to be promising in battle. BUT my Arcanine still beat those Charizards. Wild charge made quick work of Mega Charizard Y, and outrage put Mega Charizard X in it's place. So for a while, I still hated Charizard.

One day, I got a Charmeleon in Wonder Trade. His stats were not great, it had 2 max IV stats (HP/Speed). But for some reason, I wanted to give Charizard a second chance. Not to mention that I have a Charizardite Y. So I trained my Charmeleon to see what it can do. My Charizard OWNS!!!! Unlike my own team, not many people are training Arcanines. Most people have Charizards or Blaziken (LOL, another joke Pokemon I've always hated). My Charizard and it's Drought ability just rules. Flame thrower puts so many pokemon in their place. Solar beam charges in same turn, so I own swamperts and other water Pokemon. Air Slash takes care of Blazikens and other fighting types. Focus blast may be risky, but I just owned an Umbreon in ONE HIT!!! So many great moves, and Mega Charizard Y is super fast! If only I can find a way to deal with Stealth Rock.

So I want to take this opportunity to apologize for doubting my Charizard. He is a valuable member of my team, and goes well with my Arcanine and Talonflame. May they win many battles in the future.

(P.S. Should I give Blaziken a chance? I do not have a Blazikenite.)

Canen

Sometimes, I like to party.
    Years
  • Today, I would like to confess that for the longest time, I've always HATED Charizard. Yep, all the way since Gen 1. Charmander was my first Pokemon ever. Most people get super attached to their first Starter, but not me. I hated it. When it evolved into charizard, I hated it being dual fire/flying. Pretty lame when a Raichu can own your very first Pokemon. I replaced my Charizard with an Arcanine, and I have been in love with it since.

Arcanine has been my favorite Pokemon since Gen 1, and I won countless battles with it. But now in this generation, I was a little iffy about Charizard. Two mega evolutions, and two new abilities that promised Charizard to be promising in battle. BUT my Arcanine still beat those Charizards. Wild charge made quick work of Mega Charizard Y, and outrage put Mega Charizard X in it's place. So for a while, I still hated Charizard.

One day, I got a Charmeleon in Wonder Trade. His stats were not great, it had 2 max IV stats (HP/Speed). But for some reason, I wanted to give Charizard a second chance. Not to mention that I have a Charizardite Y. So I trained my Charmeleon to see what it can do. My Charizard OWNS!!!! Unlike my own team, not many people are training Arcanines. Most people have Charizards or Blaziken (LOL, another joke Pokemon I've always hated). My Charizard and it's Drought ability just rules. Flame thrower puts so many pokemon in their place. Solar beam charges in same turn, so I own swamperts and other water Pokemon. Air Slash takes care of Blazikens and other fighting types. Focus blast may be risky, but I just owned an Umbreon in ONE HIT!!! So many great moves, and Mega Charizard Y is super fast! If only I can find a way to deal with Stealth Rock.

So I want to take this opportunity to apologize for doubting my Charizard. He is a valuable member of my team, and goes well with my Arcanine and Talonflame. May they win many battles in the future.

(P.S. Should I give Blaziken a chance? I do not have a Blazikenite.)

Glad to see you have seen the light.

I was almost on the verge of reporting the post to a moderator after reading this as this highlighted statement seemed so ridiculous that one could only assume your account had been hacked by a jealous friend ^_^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I've had quite a distaste for the overgrown lizard myself due to all of the undeserved attention it gets as a Pokemon. Come Gen VI and it now actually has the power that justifies it as a fan favourite, although giving it two mega evolutions was just blatant fan service.

I acknowledge that the Mega Charizard can be a force to be reckoned with these days, and I've grown somewhat fond of it despite my various issues with it, but Charmeleon will always be more of a favourite to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There's nothing wrong with disliking a popular Pokemon (nothing wrong either with changing your opinion about something either). It's not much fun if we all liked/disliked the same stuff.

Also, I'm moving this on over to Pokemon Gaming Central, since this isn't exactly about just X/Y.
    Moves.

Heir

/EYES SUSPICIOUSLY
    Years
  • I was never that partial to Charizard either, he kind of seemed bland. I always loved Blastoise as a Gen 1 starter. Blaziken is pretty cool though! He might be a weird kung-fu chicken but he sure is powerful!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally don't dislike Charizard, but there are a lot of other Pokémon that I do. One of them would have to be Infernape; to me, its design just seem to be that great, and when battling competitively, it's not able to perform that well, either. It could set up a Stealth Rock and perhaps strike some Close Combat, but aside from that, it can't exactly seem to do anything else. It's pretty easy to take down, too; just one Earthquake, and you're all set. Only way you could make this Pokémon survive is if you make it hold a set of Focus Sash, but other than that, there is none. If it gets a mega-evolution one day, my opinion might change on it, but for now, this is how it is.

Years
  • I used to love Charizard - that is, until I realized his impracticality against Rock-types. I mean, damn, these guys drowned me in Ancient Power. Charizard X I flat-out dislike because I'm not very fond of Dragon-types. (Don't kill me!) Charizard Y, fast and versatile, and revenge-kills with Solar Beam make Aisu a happy camper.

Years
  • Charmander was my first starter, so orginally I was pretty fond of Charizard, but now I prefer Venasaur. Not to say I hate Charizard, just not my pick in Kanto anymore. I think the fact that it got two Megas is a bit excessive, and that they should've just made Mega Charizard X the Mega for both versions.

Canen

Sometimes, I like to party.
    Years
  • Charmander was my first starter, so orginally I was pretty fond of Charizard, but now I prefer Venasaur. Not to say I hate Charizard, just not my pick in Kanto anymore. I think the fact that it got two Megas is a bit excessive, and that they should've just made Mega Charizard X the Mega for both versions.

There are quite a few pokemon who should have had both X and Y evolutions in my opinion to allow for a lot more mix up rather than just giving them to Charizard and Mewtwo. I also believe legendaries should have been left out of mega evolution entirely, although that's more of a personal preference, as they are naturally strong anyway and don't need any further adjustment.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • There are quite a few pokemon who should have had both X and Y evolutions in my opinion to allow for a lot more mix up rather than just giving them to Charizard and Mewtwo. I also believe legendaries should have been left out of mega evolution entirely, although that's more of a personal preference, as they are naturally strong anyway and don't need any further adjustment.

I concur - wholeheartedly. Especially with big time legends like Mewtwo, because those can't even be used competitively. Don't get me wrong, I recognize and love that the rest of the game outside of competitive play, but adding something so big as a mega evolution (which are dished in only such limited quantities as well) to a pokemon that's exclusively for story mode / first playthroughs, seems like a waste. You can't even use legends like mewtwo in some solo areas of the games, such as battle subway / maison, and so on. Latios and Latias getting megas is also kinda 'meh' to me, because not only do you only get 1 latias / latios, but it's not even guaranteed they're going to be a usable one. That's been made less severe with X/Y forcing good stats on legends, but legends have such limited customization anyways. You can't breed for a specific nature, egg moves it doesn't learn from level up that aren't TM's, or anything. So giving one a mega is like... having a TV that only plays one station, and adding more seasons to the one show on that station plays, instead of getting different channels.

Okay that's a kinda dumb analogy... but I'd still like to be able to play around with megas, not just have legends get them :p

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I don't hate Charizard, but I think it's unfair how much attention he gets as a Pokemon, especially now with him receiving 2 Mega Evolutions instead of one, like his fellow Kanto starters. I always hated that. Personally, I prefer to use Venusaur over Charizard, but I understand why people like him. I don't exactly like Charizard, but I don't hate him either.

Back