• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have never bought a card before any advice for a newbie?

Years
  • Hello everyone

I am a really new to all the pokemon thing as i bought my first pokemon game ever (white version) which have made me addicted to it. Now i would like to get the b/w TCG's but i dont have any idea on how this TCG thing work's. I'm not planning on playing with anyone because im already 24 years old, and i have no clue who plays pokemon hahahah. So i was just guessing on collecting and creating decks and stuff.

Is there any guide of starters, how am i suppose to create a deck? any other things i may need to know of?

Is anyone of you actually play with friends? or only collects them?

LAF

:D
    Years
  • Well I play with my brother occassionally, but other than that no.

Your best bet is to buy a B/W Theme deck when they hit the shelves in May (? That's the release over here) and then you'll have a working deck if you want to play a game.

Find out if there are any leagues or clubs near you and go along to those, although when I went I was disappointed that everyone older than 15 there was irritating, childish, or socially retarded :(

There will also probably be a half deck starter set released for B/W, but if you have nobody to play against a theme deck is better. It will contain a rulebook and the game is fairly simple.

Hope this helps :)
    LAF

Years
  • Not all leagues are like LAF described, though. The leagues I've been to for the over 15 crowd had quite amiable and mature people.

Like LAF said, though, buy one of the B/W theme decks. They come with instructions on how to play.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm lucky enough to be at a college where there a people playing the Pokemon TCG, and they actually got me back into it. If you're wishing to make decks, the best options (as mentioned above) is to get a theme deck. Try to get one with the types that you want for a deck. That way you can easily obtain the energies for one. Then go ahead and start buying packs for more Pokemon/Trainers and so on.

Then you may never know; you might find someone one day who actually plays it as well.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • yeah you should get a theme deck then build on it from there.you might make a great deck.

Years
  • Yeh id get a theme deck aswell, if you have the cash buy a couple of boosters aswell as sometimes theme decks are a bit dissapointing but they do come with everything you need to play, i know you said you aren't going to battle but if you decide to you pretty much have to have a theme deck as it comes with rules, game mat, coin, energies etc etc

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Get the tins with 4 boosters and a special legendary card if you are more of a collector like me. If you want to play the TGC, the theme deck is essential like many have said.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • Tins are pretty pricy though....put if you can pull it together you should get it!!

Victory!

Psychic Pokemon Fan!
    Years
  • You can also try playing on pokemontcg.com it;s free and teaches you how to play. Lot's of leagues have 20+ age members in them anyway. Also troll and toad has singles for very cheap! It's good for completing collections and decks.

Years
  • 2.Don't Buy Fake Cards (buy from your local big shop(target,kmart

Just because they're big, doesn't mean a major retailer like Wal-Mart or Target won't have a few fakes for sale from time to time, since they sell a few re-packaged packs sold by companies not named Nintendo, which may contain a few fakes since those companies usually buy those packs and promo cards off of places like eBay and at flea markets, and sometimes will buy off an overstock of the cards from Nintendo.

Hobby shops that sell the card game only deal in packs of Pokemon cards and only get them via official booster boxes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2011
    As someone already suggested, a Themed deck is a great place to start. If you're going to be playing, you're going to need lots of energy cards and trainers. The theme decks come pre-assembled to get you started on the game.

I would suggest you get the blue assault theme so that you'll get some electric energy cards. Reason being, you'll eventually want to try out a zekrom donk, and this deck gives you some electric energy cards which are needed for zekrom's attack.

Years
  • Why will she eventually want to try a Zekrom deck?

Zekrom Donk looks like it has a quick setup, assuming you get Shaymin UL, Pachirisu CoL, and Zekrom or enough cards to fetch those three all in the first turn.

Though I probably won't try Zekrom donk so much. I do think I might have the basic cards needed for Zekrom donk, though.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    As someone already suggested, a Themed deck is a great place to start. If you're going to be playing, you're going to need lots of energy cards and trainers. The theme decks come pre-assembled to get you started on the game.

I would suggest you get the blue assault theme so that you'll get some electric energy cards. Reason being, you'll eventually want to try out a zekrom donk, and this deck gives you some electric energy cards which are needed for zekrom's attack.

Zekrom Donk really is overhyped, and I just can't advice someone with no experience in the Pokémon TCG playing a DONK deck. It takes all the fun away.

Back