• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some advice on starting my fanfic

RhoAlpha

I lack sanity.
Years
  • Uhm, well, I have a fanfiction I've been planning for a while, and my problem is that I have no idea how to start it. Its a pokemon mystery dungeon fanfiction, based right after the first ending of pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of time/space/sky.
    My main character is a riolu that fights with a katana, and I'm not sure if he should be skilled from the beginning. Hes a former human, and he used the katana as a human, but Im not sure if him being skilled right from the start would be a good idea. Also, he and a zorua make a nomadic band (the musical kind) before joining a Guild, but the problem is, im not sure how i would write them playing music. Maybe write lyrics? And at the very beginning of my fanfic, I'm not sure how to write him forgetting the two years before he showed up in the pokemon world. Any advice on this? Oh, and does the idea of the zorua using illusions to play music sound dumb? Anyway, thanks.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • What I want to know is how he got the katana as a Riolu. Are weapons a thing in this version of the PMD world? Did it come with him when he turned into a Pokémon? If that's the case, what about its size? A katana designed for a human would be way too big for a Riolu to hold.

As for his experience with it, I'd say that it'd take a little getting used to with his new body, but after some practice he'd be as good as a Pokémon as he was as a human. Of course, you could say he was a novice as a human and becomes a lot more experienced with it as the fic goes on.

Also:
    Oh, and does the idea of the zorua using illusions to play music sound dumb?
    Yes. A Zorua/Zoroark's illusions are mainly visual AFAIK, so it doesn't really work with sound.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    With the band side of your story, it depends on how their band works. Are they going to be more like a bard, and sing ballads? Or will they share some sort of song with lyrics that moves the story on? Or will they just play instruments/sing? (And what instruments will they use?) If they're just playing instruments, you could just say that they played a song for the crowd and then describe the reactions of the characters.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    This story sounds like it could be interesting. I agree with IggyKoopa that the Riolu would need to get used to his body to wield the katana. That would show the restrictions he has to deal with having changed form. As for where the weapons come from, you can really use your imagination here. In my fanfic, because Pokemon wear items like scarfs, I thought it would make sense that they had things like needle and thread. Your character could stumble across iron thorns - a PMD item - and modify them to make his own katana, or there's a weapon smith that fashions them? With Pokemon like Honedge existing, the shape of a sword wouldn't exactly be alien in this world either.

The band is a cute idea. This story I stumbled across a while ago might help you come up with ideas. It's an audio picture book on a Japanese website (so it's all in Japanese) about a Pokemon band with a Munchlax that plays a little drum. I've just had another flick through myself, and the pictures might really inspire you here :) this is the story - Strange Drum It links to the Pokemon Daisuki Club website. Just click the button with the arrow on it to activate the picture book. Bare in mind it has an audio voice over!

As for his memories, there could be a reason he forgot them that could help drive your plot. Maybe they were taken away by a Pokemon that eats dreams like Musharna or Gengar? Can he get them back again?

Hopefully these little things will help get you started. Remember to use a good, catchy opening sentence. Not only does it encourage people to keep reading, it will provide a good lead to keep you going =D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I think these are cool ideas. Like IggyKoopa said, a human-sized katana might be too big for a riolu, but I think if he modified his fighting style he could use it like an ōdachi. Plus, pokémon (especially fighting-types) are generally depicted as being stronger than humans, so you could take some liberties with what the riolu is capable of when using such a large blade.

High-five with the musical character thing, also! I've got a couple of music-focused characters myself. I'll tell you straight up that it's pretty hard to write about music though, haha. You can use lyrics (though that can be a bit dry without actually being able to hear it), describe the reactions of the audience, or use metaphor to try and explain how the music sounds (she plucked the harp strings like rain, dousing the fiery bravado of the drums).

RhoAlpha

I lack sanity.
    Years
  • I think these are cool ideas. Like IggyKoopa said, a human-sized katana might be too big for a riolu, but I think if he modified his fighting style he could use it like an (cant quote the link, lol). Plus, pokémon (especially fighting-types) are generally depicted as being stronger than humans, so you could take some liberties with what the riolu is capable of when using such a large blade.

High-five with the musical character thing, also! I've got a couple of music-focused characters myself. I'll tell you straight up that it's pretty hard to write about music though, haha. You can use lyrics (though that can be a bit dry without actually being able to hear it), describe the reactions of the audience, or use metaphor to try and explain how the music sounds (she plucked the harp strings like rain, dousing the fiery bravado of the drums).

Hive five back, dude, and thanks for the tips, and that goes to everyone, too. I'll take a look at links in a sec, and I'll go start the first chapter soon!

This story sounds like it could be interesting. I agree with IggyKoopa that the Riolu would need to get used to his body to wield the katana. That would show the restrictions he has to deal with having changed form. As for where the weapons come from, you can really use your imagination here. In my fanfic, because Pokemon wear items like scarfs, I thought it would make sense that they had things like needle and thread. Your character could stumble across iron thorns - a PMD item - and modify them to make his own katana, or there's a weapon smith that fashions them? With Pokemon like Honedge existing, the shape of a sword wouldn't exactly be alien in this world either.

The band is a cute idea. This story I stumbled across a while ago might help you come up with ideas. It's an audio picture book on a Japanese website (so it's all in Japanese) about a Pokemon band with a Munchlax that plays a little drum. I've just had another flick through myself, and the pictures might really inspire you here :) this is the story - Strange Drum It links to the Pokemon Daisuki Club website. Just click the button with the arrow on it to activate the picture book. Bare in mind it has an audio voice over!

As for his memories, there could be a reason he forgot them that could help drive your plot. Maybe they were taken away by a Pokemon that eats dreams like Musharna or Gengar? Can he get them back again?

Hopefully these little things will help get you started. Remember to use a good, catchy opening sentence. Not only does it encourage people to keep reading, it will provide a good lead to keep you going =D

I'll keep those things in mind, thanks!

With the band side of your story, it depends on how their band works. Are they going to be more like a bard, and sing ballads? Or will they share some sort of song with lyrics that moves the story on? Or will they just play instruments/sing? (And what instruments will they use?) If they're just playing instruments, you could just say that they played a song for the crowd and then describe the reactions of the characters.

They would mainly be playing non-vocal songs, but I had planned to write some lyrics for a song, and the reactions are probably gonna be harder, but I think your right about not attempting to write them playing the song, that just wouldnt work xD! And thanks!

What I want to know is how he got the katana as a Riolu. Are weapons a thing in this version of the PMD world? Did it come with him when he turned into a Pokémon? If that's the case, what about its size? A katana designed for a human would be way too big for a Riolu to hold.

As for his experience with it, I'd say that it'd take a little getting used to with his new body, but after some practice he'd be as good as a Pokémon as he was as a human. Of course, you could say he was a novice as a human and becomes a lot more experienced with it as the fic goes on.

Also:

Yes. A Zorua/Zoroark's illusions are mainly visual AFAIK, so it doesn't really work with sound.

Well, it seems that others like the idea of a band, so I will have to stick with the zorua, and the zorua using illusions seems like it would work, because how else would that zoroark in Black2/White2 in Lost...whatever forest have been able to talk to the player? But the main character being an apprentice could work, and maybe I could have a gallade teach him to use the katana better, so thanks for the help! ... Oh, and weapons definently exist in the PMD world, i mean seriously, theres a mobe called sacred sword, and there are honedge, as someone else had mentioned. No offence, though, not everyone would realize that at first, after all, a riolu using a katana IS new territory in the fanfiction realm, i think xD.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back