• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] I think it is pretty much confirmed that series is set in a different universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    As mentioned before, Rica Matsumoto seems to be claiming that SM Ash only went to Kanto prior to Alola. She's claiming that the journeys in Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos never happened, which I guess pretty much means SM is a reboot and alternate continuity altogether.

Though again, she's just saying that's her interpretation.

Interesting that she'd interpret it that way, but nothing completely concrete. But Rica is probably the closest we'll get to any official word on the subject.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I guess it does make some sense to have it be Ash is going from Kanto (and maybe Orange Islands-Johto) to Alola and the other regions are being ignored in the timeline of the current series at the time. This way they can continue to be ambiguous about how much time has passed since Ash began and they don't have to age him.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Rica Matsumoto is someone not to be believe. Can't take her word on it since it has no evidence to back up that statement of hers.

The only thing we know is an alternate universe is I Choose You movie. The rest is just speculation that came out of nowhere.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Ash is the same character that has been seen in the last 6 Generations and SM is canon to the anime. Another thing is Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos all took place in the anime, they are all canon to the show's timeline. I don't think Pokemon I choose you movie will be set in the same timeline like the SM anime is.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Ash is the same character that has been seen in the last 6 Generations and SM is canon to the anime. Another thing is Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos all took place in the anime, they are all canon to the show's timeline. I don't think Pokemon I choose you movie will be set in the same timeline like the SM anime is.
    This. The new movie has a different ash to the anime including being different to SM Ash.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Rica Matsumoto is someone not to be believe. Can't take her word on it since it has no evidence to back up that statement of hers.

The only thing we know is an alternate universe is I Choose You movie. The rest is just speculation that came out of nowhere.

To be fair, actors have given inputs about their characters that have been confirmed to be canon, like for example, Malcolm McDowell mentioned that his character of Mr. Lindermann from Heroes was the character he was because he had a bad childhood, and one of the later seasons revealed that not only was that true, but it was an understatement (namely, Mrs. Petrelli revealed that the founders of the Company, Lindermann included, were rounded up during the Cold War to an internment camp in all but name, and Lindermann's recognition of the camps actual role there implies that he's already been through something similar before then, namely the concentration camps in Nazi Germany.). So I wouldn't necessarily dismiss her claims completely, whether about this specific topic or any other topics. And besides, the sound director if she is to be believed also said something similar (at least, that's what Crystal in that second post indicated when she translated it.).

And in any case, the fact that there's a manga tying in S&M to the events of the movie certainly points to both being in an AU (not much point in creating a manga specifically intended to tie in both the anime and the film, if it wasn't going to be canon anyways).

This new movie will be set in a entirely different timeline. It won't be canon to the SM anime.

Not canon to the whole anime series, sure. I can't say the same about it not being canon to the SM anime, though. There's already a tie-in one-shot manga that actually points to it being in the same universe (and I see no reason to even bother creating that manga if it's not even going to be canon anyways): https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pocket_Monsters_the_Movie:_I_Choose_You!_(one-shot)

Why are they credited but not present in the story? This is soooo weird, I really don't get what the movie crew is doing with this one.

I don't get it either. Then again, they lost me a LONG time ago when they decided to just do an Emperor's New School type plot for this.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    And in any case, the fact that there's a manga tying in S&M to the events of the movie certainly points to both being in an AU (not much point in creating a manga specifically intended to tie in both the anime and the film, if it wasn't going to be canon anyways).

No actually it doesn't. I disagree entirely. It does not point to SM anime being alternate universe. Only the movie. SM is a continuation from after Kalos. That is all there is to it.

Agree to disagree.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    No actually it doesn't. I disagree entirely. It does not point to SM anime being alternate universe. Only the movie. SM is a continuation from after Kalos. That is all there is to it.

Agree to disagree.

Are you seriously telling me that the movie is not connected to the SM anime despite the fact that the tie-in manga has SM Ash challenging the third trial and WINNING that? That pretty blatantly spells out that it was meant to tie in the two mediums, and there's zero point making that manga if it was not meant to be canon. Had I been the manga person who wrote it, I'd avoid writing it if it wasn't going to be canon, or at most deliberately go out of my way to make sure it's divorced from both sources simply because it's not going to be canon anyways. And either way, that as well as Rica and that Sound Director's comments point to SM being an AU, so the point is moot (and I don't even WANT an AU since I hate the concept of it and mass retcons for that matter, so I'm not saying it because I want it to be that, I'm saying it because it IS that whether I want it or not).

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    The manga actually showed the last trial. And if I had to bet the actual anime won't show a flashback because the movie will be old news by then, but the point is moot since it is hard to see why the manga would create a false impression.

And I'll take Rica's interpretation over what fans on the Internet think. Sorry.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Alexander18, I also want that this series is canon to the past series, but the design (from DP to BW was an upgrade, not a change in design), Ash's personality, Ash not knowing that there are multiple Joys working in Pokémon Center and the way the XYZ anime ended are hints that this series are set in an alternative timeline.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Alexander18, I also want that this series is canon to the past series, but the design (from DP to BW was an upgrade, not a change in design), Ash's personality, Ash not knowing that there are multiple Joys working in Pokémon Center and the way the XYZ anime ended are hints that this series are set in an alternative timeline.

To me nothing points to an alternate universe/timelime. Therevis no evidence. Sorry but i can not buy that rumor.

Are you seriously telling me that the movie is not connected to the SM anime despite the fact that the tie-in manga has SM Ash challenging the third trial and WINNING that? That pretty blatantly spells out that it was meant to tie in the two mediums, and there's zero point making that manga if it was not meant to be canon. Had I been the manga person who wrote it, I'd avoid writing it if it wasn't going to be canon, or at most deliberately go out of my way to make sure it's divorced from both sources simply because it's not going to be canon anyways. And either way, that as well as Rica and that Sound Director's comments point to SM being an AU, so the point is moot (and I don't even WANT an AU since I hate the concept of it and mass retcons for that matter, so I'm not saying it because I want it to be that, I'm saying it because it IS that whether I want it or not).
    The movie not canon. Rica and sound director are just spreading rumors that will not be true. My points are valid no matter what others say. We are not getting an alternate universe/timeline in the pokemon series. SM is canon to the past series.

Agree to disagree.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    To me nothing points to an alternate universe/timelime. Therevis no evidence. Sorry but i can not buy that rumor.

The movie not canon. Rica and sound director are just spreading rumors that will not be true. My points are valid no matter what others say. We are not getting an alternate universe/timeline in the pokemon series. SM is canon to the past series.

Agree to disagree.
    It has 50/50 chance of being an alternative universe.

You just want it to be canon to the past series and so you refuse everything that could indicate otherwise that's why nothing points to you to an alternate universe, you even call liars to Rica and the sound director.

Ignoring evidence just so you can feel well with your reasons.

I'm pre sure if the director or a writer said it's an alternative universe you wouldn't believe it too

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    It has 50/50 chance of being an alternative chance.
    You just want it to be canon to the past series and so you refuse everything that could indicate otherwise that's why nothing points to you to an alternate universe, you even call liars to Rica and the sound director.

Ignoring evidence just so you can feel well with your reasons.
    Actually no. There is no chance of being alternate universe. SM anime is canon to past seasons whether some agree or not. Never called anyone liars. There is no evidence of alternate timeline and there is nothing to ignore.

Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Actually no. There is no chance of being alternate universe. SM anime is canon to past seasons whether some agree or not. Never called anyone liars. There is no evidence of alternate timeline and there is nothing to ignore.

Agree to disagree.

Of course there is a chance. Just what happens in the series that refutes the theory of it being an alternative universe?

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Of course there is a chance. Just what happens in the series that refutes the theory of it being an alternative universe?
    No there is not. The anime never gave any clues of alternate universe. This is just people being spiteful to kalos loss and would make sny excuse to not connect ash in alola with the one in the past 6 regions.

Until it is proven to be alternate, the series remains canon.

Agree to disagree.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    No there is not. The anime never gave any clues of alternate universe. This is just people being spiteful to kalos loss and would make sny excuse to not connect ash in alola with the one in the past 6 regions.

Until it is proven to be alternate, the series remains canon.

Agree to disagree.

I don't mind Ash losing in the Kalos League and I see hints of this being an alternative universe. I even said that I prefer this to be canon to the past series.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Agree to disagree.

Unless you are the writer or director of the series, or heck, the head of the production team for the series, your views mean absolutely nothing here, since the only views that truly matter are those directly involved in the series, and if they say it's an AU, it's an AU, since their word is law here. Do I like the idea of an AU with Pokémon, no I do not, but it literally doesn't matter what I think or what I like, what matters is what the writers view it to be as they are essentially God regarding this.

And as far as the movie not being canon, please explain why they even bothered to make a tie-in manga showing Ash and Pikachu doing the final trial and having a flashback if it wasn't even canon? If it wasn't canon, no point in making the manga in the first place.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back