• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] I think it is pretty much confirmed that series is set in a different universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    As much I wished the contrary I think we can all accept that the Sun and Moon anime is not the same universe as the past series. First the sound director tweets that it's not the same Ash snd his change in design and then
    Spoiler:

I know that Ash mentioned his Tauros still I think this is a soft reboot.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Not news. Ash forgets about the Joys and Jennys every generation, at least to some degree he has a reaction to them.
    Not really the only region where he wondered about existing other Joys and Jennys was in Kanto.

Any other region it was just normal for him.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    So far there's been little to show us that Ash in SM is the same character from XY. He was matured, confident, and strong in XY, and SM he's childish and doesn't have the same strength and ability. He lost to Team Rocket and should've at least a couple other times if not for Bewear, was about to lose to a middle-aged butler, and needs the Z-moves to really be effective. Pikachu is his only Pok?mon with real experience at this point, but still he's definitely not the same. The only things that tell us differently are him mentioning his Tauros and the few times becoming a Pok?mon Master has been mentioned.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Not really the only region where he wondered about existing other Joys and Jennys was in Kanto.

Any other region it was just normal for him.

No. The gag exists in every generation to some degree. Probably has less to do with it being a reboot and more of a gag that they revisit. Remember that Ash isn't gonna remember everything, never does.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Isn't it more the new characters of the series (Max and May in AG, Dawn in DP, etc) that ask about the Jennys and Joys rather than Ash?

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    So far there's been little to show us that Ash in SM is the same character from XY. He was matured, confident, and strong in XY, and SM he's childish and doesn't have the same strength and ability. He lost to Team Rocket and should've at least a couple other times if not for Bewear, was about to lose to a middle-aged butler, and needs the Z-moves to really be effective. Pikachu is his only Pok?mon with real experience at this point, but still he's definitely not the same. The only things that tell us differently are him mentioning his Tauros and the few times becoming a Pok?mon Master has been mentioned.
    True, there is nothing that truely suggest that this Ash is the as from the past series.

No. The gag exists in every generation to some degree. Probably has less to do with it being a reboot and more of a gag that they revisit. Remember that Ash isn't gonna remember everything, never does.
    No it were Ash's travelling partners like May that wondered about Nurse Joy being in two different cities working as a nurse.

Isn't it more the new characters of the series (Max and May in AG, Dawn in DP, etc) that ask about the Jennys and Joys rather than Ash?
    Exactly it were always Ash's new travelling companions that wondered about rather thsn Ash.

Ash never forgot that there are alot of Joys and Jennys in the world.

Years
  • I am definitely on the idea that Sun & Moon is set in an alternate universe, since that seems to be what this generation has been promoting. With the upcoming Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon being an apparent "alternate story" I think it's fair to say 7th Gen is a reboot, and taking part in a universe completely different to the previous games.

This may explain why Ash hit the reset button even more than he has in the past, in that he not only behaves like an absolute wimp but he also now feels extremely weak, such as when Team Rocket creamed him in SM012 and Hobbes the butler even gave him trouble, to the point he can never seem to win a battle without a Z-Move. The fact he even forgot that Nurse Joys were related adds even more weight to the reset.

As some would know, I have a thing against reboots and alternate stories because it screws up the continuity.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • One reason I disagree is that Ash always resets to some extent eventually when it becomes easier for the writers. It doesn't need to affect continuity or even be a different Universe.

Sorry, but since we know Ash mentioned his Tauros, that this happened between Johto and Hoenn. That's why he's so stupid. Ash didn't begin to display maturity until deep into the Advance Generation or early in the Diamond and Pearl arcs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    One reason I disagree is that Ash always resets to some extent eventually when it becomes easier for the writers. It doesn't need to affect continuity or even be a different Universe.

Sorry, but since we know Ash mentioned his Tauros, that this happened between Johto and Hoenn. That's why he's so stupid. Ash didn't begin to display maturity until deep into the Advance Generation or early in the Diamond and Pearl arcs.

Actually, Ash getting Tauros occurred in Kanto (even if you ignore the banned Dratini episode where he caught them, the Kanto episode Showdown at Poke-Corral had Ash's Tauros making a pretty big appearance, even knocking Team Rocket away, and the ending has Ash [and by proxy Misty and Brock due to Professor Oak pretty much telling them to] having to fix the fence they damaged).

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Actually, Ash getting Tauros occurred in Kanto (even if you ignore the banned Dratini episode where he caught them, the Kanto episode Showdown at Poke-Corral had Ash's Tauros making a pretty big appearance, even knocking Team Rocket away, and the ending has Ash [and by proxy Misty and Brock due to Professor Oak pretty much telling them to] having to fix the fence they damaged).

Problem is, banned episodes are not ignored. I will never ignore censored episodes, and Poke Corral is sidequest episode mostly, I don't recall Ash ever using a Pokeball to *Capture* it. They're just like "Heeeyyy Here's a Tauros!" So unless he actually did Pokeball capture, then it's an unofficial capture.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Problem is, banned episodes are not ignored. I will never ignore censored episodes, and Poke Corral is sidequest episode mostly, I don't recall Ash ever using a Pokeball to *Capture* it. They're just like "Heeeyyy Here's a Tauros!" So unless he actually did Pokeball capture, then it's an unofficial capture.

He did capture them via Pokeball. He caught the entire Tauros herd by accident at the Safari Zone (and he used Safari Balls, just so you're aware). Well, okay, technically, Brock used one of Ash's balls to capture a Tauros, but beyond that, all of them were definitely captured by Ash. And that's why I mentioned the Dratini episode, since THAT'S the episode where he captured them.

Years
  • As mentioned, Ash did catch 30 Tauros. It's just that dub-only viewers don't know when it happened due to it being in an episode that never aired outside of Japan.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    I remember somebody joking that Melemele and Akala island Joys are twins, so Ash was thrown off.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    The line about his Tauros in the first episode of SM was likely just thrown in as a reference for older viewers like us, like Team Rocket using Ekans and Koffing lures was a callback to their original Pokemon. I don't think there should be much stock put into it and using it to decide that the series is in continuity with the rest or not.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • If we get a cameo of an XY character and said character remembers Ash then we'll know that this saga is the sequel to Kalos (Or at least connected in some way)

If not... there's a possibility that this is a new continuity... The new movie might retcon the entire series. We have to see it to be sure tho...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If they were to bring back a character from XY, it might not be the character you think it would be(aka Serena, Clemont&Bonnie etc.). My hunch is that if they were to bring back an old XY character, it would be Grace or Serena's mother. She could be invited to teach a class on Rider Pokemon, specifically Ryhorn when it comes to racing. If Ash isn't some neutered prebuscent imp, Ash should remember what he learned from Serena and actually ace a lesson for a change. Might also throw a bone to all those Amourshippers as Grace could give everyone an update on Serena's progress.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I just remembered in the first episode of SM they do show Ash giving his Pok?mon from XY (sans Pikachu and Greninja) to Professor Oak in the montage that shows how they got to Alola. It's shown really quickly and there's no dialogue, but it does provide a link between the series in some way.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I just remembered in the first episode of SM they do show Ash giving his Pok?mon from XY (sans Pikachu and Greninja) to Professor Oak in the montage that shows how they got to Alola. It's shown really quickly and there's no dialogue, but it does provide a link between the series in some way.
    I noticed that too. Although, I'm pretty sure Ash gives Oak five pokeballs (I could be wrong though) when he should've only given him three since he left Kalos with only Talonflame, Hawlucha and Noivern in his party.

Years
  • I noticed that too. Although, I'm pretty sure Ash gives Oak five pokeballs (I could be wrong though) when he should've only given him three since he left Kalos with only Talonflame, Hawlucha and Noivern in his party.

I was surprised at that error, since Goodra and Greninja are not officially under Ash's ownership anymore. Though, SM did have a new writing team once again and they probably forgot it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back