• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

?id= URL's are no,no's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Kwesi Nkromah

"Pokéfan Kwesi"
    Years
    I've never heard this argument before. can someone sum up the points for me? most importantly the reasonings against using the "id" url attribute?

I don't know the whole deal here but i think using variables in urls to maintain state is fine. However, I don't believe people are using this technique merely to maintain state; instead they are using the variable to offer content. Which, if the above statements are true:
    Google will only index 2 of your pages with the index?id= style..
    you will have yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com/index.php

Instead of having 50+ pages listed in google you now have 2.
    is outragous. Having 2 of 50 pages indexed by search engines just short changes yourself. Instead (and im not sure if you all are doing this already), have your content stored in a database and retrieve your information using quieries. create pages on your server which follows a basic document tree. browse MSN.com. paying close attention to the urls, for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Master Kwesi Nkromah said:
    I've never heard this argument before. can someone sum up the points for me? most importantly the reasonings against using the "id" url attribute?

Even if they do index url's with a "?" in them,robots can't fully index the pages,and can sometimes be caught in a loop,causing robots to avoid the indexing of pages.

You should've read my post first.;)

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    The indexing thing isn't always true. You'll still get the same amount of results. Happens all the time with forums.

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Google indexes everything. Example. ex

That wouldn't be there if it didnt.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Wether or not they index your pages,you can't just say:

"I don't care,google index my pages"

That's a sorry excuse,even if they do index your pages,why not make your URL's look better?

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    I think my URLs already look great. :D

It makes me look smart, being able to have ?id=blah

...I totally used to go "Oooh... they're smart ^__^" when I saw pages like that...

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I think ?id= looks awesome. As an experienced forum user, I'm used to them and /id/ just looks plain odd.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Ah,so you're all using it to impress users. Just so you all know,I'm not impressed, as 50% of people use those url's already. :D

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    1. Wouldn't that keep you from making sub folders with the page name? mod_rewrite is useful for forums but not web sites.
    2. I'd prefer making different pages with header and footer includes than to make a GET variable and then use mod_rewrite.
    3. And my URLs (old 1s) used to have '/'s all over them because I have GD buttons that need paths as GETs.
    4. I better let people know I have a automated web site than to let them think I have dumb sub folders.
    5. GET vars tell people your skills and '/' all over the place seperating your URLs will make my freinds think I am a dumb person to make subfolders for such small catagories.
    That should tell you why mod_rewrite is a no no.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    mod_rewrite is usefull for both forums and websites. And if you read the first post, it says that I have a code that rewrites every URL the perfect way, like this:

First:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/([^/]+)?$ index.php?id=$1/$2

Second One
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)?$ index.php?id=$1

First one is for people who use directories, and the second is for people who don't. And please, don't make random facts without knowing what you're talking about. It makes you and mod_rewrite look bad at the same time.

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
    I use the ?id= cause it's easier to maintain pages. I don't have to go through and copy and paste the hompage coding, and edit it. I just do something like this:

PHP:
    $id = $_GET['id'];
          if(isset($id))
          {
            include('pages/'.$id.'.php');
          }
          else
          {
            include('pages/news.php');
          }

and then make the pages I need, and not have to worry about getting all the 'homepage' content on every single page.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Sorry guys, but the last reply in this thread dates back more than 30 days.

Please don't revive old threads.

~closed~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back