• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Idea for XY & XYZ Revised English Dub

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    Hello, I've recently been trying to catch up on Pokemon X and Y because I heard very good things about it, as well as the possibility of Ash winning a league in this one which I want to see. I have skipped all the filler.

I have also watched all of the episodes in Japanese with English subtitles. I have been forced to watch it this way because of the English dubs removal of one of the best soundtracks from an anime show and replacing it with shit. I've talked to people about dub vs sub and one crucial point that the people on the dub side said was the names of characters, cities, and Pokemon are all different in Japanese, which can be very confusing for westerners. I can really see their point. It is really frustrating, I don't think people should have to choose between having a great soundtrack and having an English dub. So I have thought of a solution.

Separate the dialogue and music from both versions, and then insert the Japanese music into the English dub. It sounds very hard, and I as of yet don't know entirely how to do it, but it has been done by many editors, and I strongly believe that the greatest series of Pokemon deserves an English dub which does it justice.

I would also be removing a lot of the filler episodes from this new version of Pokemon X and Y. Making for a more exciting show, and ridding it of the sheer boredom which is the reason why many people hate the show, even though this series does have much less than it's predecessors.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    The main reason the original soundtrack was replaced in the dub is because there's a payment for using more than a few of them from the Japanese company. I wouldn't say subs are better either, because they're unofficial and purposely make flashy subtitles and keep certain words and phrases in Japanese to further confuse westerners (there was an 8-part series on youtube explaining this issue a long time ago). Fillers are important because it prevents the anime producers from accidentally getting too close to the original source material's current chapters (or in this case, the Pokémon gen's 3-4 year life cycle). The only revision the dub needs is the dialogue, because it sounds like a literal translation of the Japanese version, which uses oversimplified words rather than more complex jargon words seen in other anime dubs like Attack on Titan and Naruto.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    This is one of the biggest problems with Pokemon, why can't we have a season hiatus! I would much rather have a hiatus and some good content than no hiatus and all of this filler pilled on. It makes me not want to watch the show, I get bored of these episodes which are basically the same and contribute nothing. It's a shame because the non filler stuff in XY is amazing, and if the show was purely that I guarantee more old fans would come back.

Maybe that's true, but I still feel like I'm being forced to choose between the names that are familiar to me and the fantastic score, and I don't want that, so I was thinking of doing some sort of fan edit.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    This is one of the biggest problems with Pokemon, why can't we have a season hiatus! I would much rather have a hiatus and some good content than no hiatus and all of this filler pilled on. It makes me not want to watch the show, I get bored of these episodes which are basically the same and contribute nothing. It's a shame because the non filler stuff in XY is amazing, and if the show was purely that I guarantee more old fans would come back.

You know they can't do that in Japan. If a show goes on hiatus for too long, then it gets cancelled. Japan's cable TV services have really strict rules for that. The only way for them to continue the story of the same anime is airing it under a different name.

Maybe that's true, but I still feel like I'm being forced to choose between the names that are familiar to me and the fantastic score, and I don't want that, so I was thinking of doing some sort of fan edit.

And yet I'm also feeling forced to reading two different subtitles (one on top and one on bottom) on the same screen, forcing me to miss out any good scenes.

Last edited:
    Years
    The main reason the original soundtrack was replaced in the dub is because there's a payment for using more than a few of them from the Japanese company. I wouldn't say subs are better either, because they're unofficial and purposely make flashy subtitles and keep certain words and phrases in Japanese to further confuse westerners (there was an 8-part series on youtube explaining this issue a long time ago). Fillers are important because it prevents the anime producers from accidentally getting too close to the original source material's current chapters (or in this case, the Pokémon gen's 3-4 year life cycle). The only revision the dub needs is the dialogue, because it sounds like a literal translation of the Japanese version, which uses oversimplified words rather than more complex jargon words seen in other anime dubs like Attack on Titan and Naruto.

You have to keep in mind the dub's target audience is children under 10. How many advanced words were you able to understand at 10, let alone 9, 8, 7, 6, or 5?

This is one of the biggest problems with Pokemon, why can't we have a season hiatus! I would much rather have a hiatus and some good content than no hiatus and all of this filler pilled on. It makes me not want to watch the show, I get bored of these episodes which are basically the same and contribute nothing.

The Pokemon Company wants the consistent exposure that having a continuously running weekly anime gives because it acts as a commercial for the games and merchandise for TV-watching children.

As for the creation of a fan edit, you'll be running afoul of copyright laws very quickly into the project.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    And this is the problem with the Pokemon anime. They have great animators, great writers, and great composers, but their creativity is being seriously hindered by the big executives who just want this show to be an advert.

Loads of people have done fan edits. I wanted to make this for people like myself who are frustrated with the English dubs re scoring.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    You know they can't do that in Japan. If a show goes on hiatus for too long, then it gets cancelled. Japan's cable TV services have really strict rules for that. The only way for them to continue the story of the same anime is airing it under a different name.

And yet I'm also feeling forced to reading two different subtitles (one on top and one on bottom) on the same screen, forcing me to miss out any good scenes.

Don't be ridiculous, you can still see what's going on, you're not going to MISS A SCENE because of subtitles.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    You have to keep in mind the dub's target audience is children under 10. How many advanced words were you able to understand at 10, let alone 9, 8, 7, 6, or 5?

I've seen plenty of childrens shows that used complex words more often than Pokémon. Examples being the Avatar series and the various Marvel and DC cartoons.

Don't be ridiculous, you can still see what's going on, your not going to MISS A SCENE because of subtitles.

That's not how the human eye works. You're only able to focus direct eye contact on one spot, and everything around it is blurred out for you. That means you'll be able to clearly see the subtitles whereas the rest of the scene is blurred out, thus missing a scene.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    I've seen plenty of childrens shows that used complex words more often than Pokémon. Examples being the Avatar series and the various Marvel and DC cartoons.

That's not how the human eye works. You're only able to focus direct eye contact on one spot, and everything around it is blurred out for you. That means you'll be able to clearly see the subtitles whereas the rest of the scene is blurred out, thus missing a scene.

Well you must be different, but I have never run into that problem.

Years
    And this is the problem with the Pokemon anime. They have great animators, great writers, and great composers, but their creativity is being seriously hindered by the big executives who just want this show to be an advert.

Loads of people have done fan edits. I wanted to make this for people like myself who are frustrated with the English dubs re scoring.

That still opens you up to a DMCA mailing or a civil lawsuit potentially.

Don't be ridiculous, you can still see what's going on, you're not going to MISS A SCENE because of subtitles.

You definitely miss visual details when you have to read subs, and this can lead to missing scenes. I'm speaking from plenty of personal experience watching subbed anime.

Those are generally targeted toward a slightly older audience than Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    But this isn't even about subs, this is about the using of the original Japanese music in an edit.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    You can separate the voices/sound effects from the USA dub with a method called "Phase Inversion" in programs such as Audacity. You can also use a plugin called "knock0ut", which works well with Sony Vegas. But you'll need clean files of the USA soundtrack, and I don't even know if that's available. Read some tutorials and try it. Good luck!

Back