• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If pokemon were real would they...

Which is better

• The Pokemon crys *like the games*

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • They repeat their names *like the show*

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • I dont care

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
Years
  • A nice series of grunts, groans, and roars will do it for me. I have a hard enough time understanding what my dog does. If he went "Rosco, Ros Ros Co Coros!" I'd be doing this : o_O;

Wolf_Goddess

The pen is mightier...
    Years
  • The cried like in the games. I mean, if a mysterious legendary pokemon just goes around saying, "Ar, Articuno!" is anything BUT mysterious. I mean, in the game it has an eerie sound, one that seems more fitting. Of course, in real life the sound would sound less...digital.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    But in the show & movies the legendaries DON'T really say their names...For example, Articuno doesn't say its name over and over again, but actually makes a noise you'd expect from a bird (somewhat like a "caw"). It's the same with ALL of them (except Mewtwo, of course, who we never heard "speak", per se...), and that's the way that I'd prefer it--they usually use their names, but DON'T HAVE TO.

Missie

Pokemon Groomer
    Years
  • Yea I much rather they grunt/sqeak/pur/hiss ect if they where real. It just seems better. It would drive you insane if you heard Poli...poli...politoed toed toed.. during the night. @_x No sleep with that. Atleast the brid calls would be more musical.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • It all depends on whether you classify them more as animals or sentient beings. If you consider them more of the former, the cries from the game are more appropriate because as has been demonstrated in this topic, they speak rather than make noises. If you consider them the latter, speaking their own name is more correct because that is a trait that only humans have (and as can be demonstrated by pokemon such as Meowth, Gastly, Slowking, and a few telepathic legendaries for their ability to gain human speech), and the words that they speak are an actual language and not mindless noises like animals produce. For instance, in Pikachu's tongue, it has been confirmed that "Pi Pi Pi" means Togepi, and "Pi-Pikachu" means Team Rocket.

Besides, I've never seen pokemon as animals, but as a sixth kingdom along with florae, faunae, fungi, protista, and monera.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2006
    Pokemon names or animal cries?

Charizard_Fire_God said:
    It's not all that bad ya know. Tch, for example Charizards repeat their name too, but their thick voice still makes more of a sound rather than bein' just an an annoyin' name repetition. ^^;;
    Ichapokemr said:
    But in the show & movies the legendaries DON'T really say their names...For example, Articuno doesn't say its name over and over again, but actually makes a noise you'd expect from a bird (somewhat like a "caw"). It's the same with ALL of them (except Mewtwo, of course, who we never heard "speak", per se...), and that's the way that I'd prefer it--they usually use their names, but DON'T HAVE TO.
    I agree with these two. I find that the more annoying, obvious cases of Pokemon repeating their name is when it's been dubbed. A lot of the Japanese pokemon say their names in a more animal-like manner. For example: Charizard (notice how it actually only roars "Zard" from Lizardon) and Onix (Iwaaaku!). And some of the pokemon only make animal cries (Psyduck originally only quacked).

It helps that the Japanese language lends itself to being more onomatopoeic, so even if the pokemon is just repeating its name, it's like the sound effects being read out, which can be amusing. For example, when Pikachu goes "Pika-pika" to accompany the lightning it makes. Or when the name of the pokemon encorporates the animal sound, it's like a mouse going "Squeeeak!" (Chuu!) or a cat going "Meow" (Nya-su). I suppose dogs actually saying "Woof woof bark bark" could be funny or lame, depending on your humour...

Also, some of the pokemon names lend themselves to puns. I think this has been exploited for jokes in the anime, such as when Bulbasaur/Fushigidane says "da ne, da ne?", in Japanese it's saying "isn't it so? isn't it so?". The more famous example would be the omnipresent Wobbuffet, or Soonansu. "Soooo nan'su!" = "It is so!".

It's a pity these things don't translate so well...

EDIT: Pikachu is actually pretty eloquent for only repeating its name. "Pi-pika chu!" corrosponds to "Roketto-Dan", and "Pikapi" is "Satoshi" (Ash). I really tear up in the 1st pokemon movie when Pikachu goes over when Satoshi has turned to stone, and cries "Pikapi? Pikapi?". You can also kind of work out what it's trying to say a lot of the times in the anime as well. Ikue Ootani is a skilled voice actress...

Greta

♡C u t e n e s s♡
    Years
  • I also would liek them to repeat their names, i think its cute when they do that and i cant imagine them talking in a different way..

AJUST

/Kusagaki. The Grass Kid./
    Years
  • I thinks it's like this.

In real life when an animal makes a certain noize, its sometimes named after that specific noise. Therefore, since Pokemon is marketed for kids, they make 'em say they names.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I like it better when they say their names because the cries kind of annoy me and if they say their names you would not for get them.

Eig

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2008
    I think that they should say/repeat their names AND have the cries AND hissing/growling/roaring.

Ziggy

Gaming 24/7 < (very true)
    Years
  • they only make that annoying noise because in the original the gameboy couldn't handle the names and god just think about what it would be like if pokemon were real it would be a dream come true!!! :D

halfling2

Breakfast Squid
    Years
  • Cyndaquil said:
    and hav you ever seen a monkey saying "mon-mon-monkeeey"? Or a horse sayin "hor-hoooorse"?
    Actually I have! ROFL. But really, some of the cries are awesome, especially Salamence and Metagross. And a Pokemon sayin their name and then somone asking somone what it is (like Ash) is stupid.

Back