• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'll outspeed you in the Rain! OU Rain dance!

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    Hey everyone and welcome to my 3rd RMT. This time a decided to go for a Rain dance team cuz i luv Starmies ^^.

At a glance:

What this team focus on is Speed and to set up Rain dance early and use Thunder/Swift swim/Surf/Waterfall as much as possible. For you who dont know what Swift swim is it is a trait that doubles the pokemons Speed in rain. Kingdra & Floatzel are carrying this ability. I dont have any choice item cuz i dont wanna waste my turn on switching pokemons as it is enough waste of turns to set up a Rain dance. Instead i have 3 Life orbs and 3 Leftovers.

The team:

Zapdos
    Damp rock
    Timid nature
    EV: 252 Spa 252 Spe

Thunder
    Rain dance
    U-Turn
    Roost

Comment: This is to set up Rain dance early game and Thunder mostly whatever that comes in. Roost when i predict my opponent will switch. U-turn was most cuz off coverage and dealing damage while switching. Leftovers together with roost gives a good recover and make this guy stay in longer. Ev:s are selfexplentory as i am focusing on Speed in this team i maxed it out. With 100 Base speed and maxed EV this guy out speeds most leads. Another good thing with this bird is that is resits EQ which usually is Electric types biggest problem.

Starmie
    Life orb
    Timid nature
    EV: 252 Spa Spe 252

Rain dance
    Surf
    Thunder
    Rapid spin

Comment:
    My RaindanceusingspecialsweeperwithRapidspin . o_o long word. I dont think there is much i have to explain but i'll do it anyways ^^. Surf gets like 160 Power in rain with STAB and that can take down most of the things i am aiming at. This star luckily learns Thunder with gives good coverage. Rapid spin is to get out of the Rocks/Spikes which has alot of usage in the meta. Again the EVs are selfexplentory and just straight to the strategy. Timid nature to just get even higher Speed.

Floatzel
    Life orb
    Adamant nature
    EV: 252 HP 252 Atk

Crunch
    Waterfall
    Rain dance
    Aqua jet/Ice punch. Help me decide on this one plz.

Comment:
    This seafox is so adorable. Sure hes defensive stats sux but so doesn't the offensives. This guy also has Rain dance but i rlly dont use it that much except for when the rain ends while this guy is in. With 105 Base atk, STAB, Rain up, Waterfall will just 1HKO like everything ^^. Crunch just for coverage, altough no STAB on that one =/. Aqua jet for priority however i might switch this one out for Ice punch. You might wonder, why no EV Speed? Cuz with Swift swim in rain it outspeed every single pokemon in the game! Which means there is no need for EVs in Speed.

Kingdra
    Leftovers
    Jolly nature
    EV: 180 HP 252 Atk 76 Spe

Waterfall
    Rain dance
    Dragon dance
    Outrage

Comment: This guy likes to dance ^^. Waterfall for the same reason as above ^. Outrage for coverage and the dances is selfexplentory. No maxed out Speed on this one neither? Same reason, this guy also carries Swift swim so no need for maxed Evs in that. However it's not really as fast as Floatzel so i took 76 Spe just in case rain isn't up or something like thay. I can't think of anything more to say ATM about this guy.

Porygon-z
    Leftovers
    Timid nature
    EV: 252 Spa 252 Spe

Thunder
    Rain dance
    Ice beam
    Tri attack

Comment: This is my main Special sweeper. Instead of Bolt&Beam I ofc usef Thunder&Beam. This guy was close to not place in my team cuz of it's low Speed but with Nature+Spe and EV this guy is pretty fast. Tri attack for STAB mostly and for coverage as it can hit everthing except for Ghost. Rain dance just incase rain would stop while this guy is out. This guys big problem is Lucarios as i dont really have anything good to use against it. However i got my Starmie & Floatzel that i can switch to.

Scizor
    Life orb
    Adamant nature
    EV: 252 Atk 252 Spe

Bullet punch
    Sword dance
    Brick break
    Bug bite

Comment:
    This is the only pokemon in the whole team without a Rain dance. This has nothing to do with Rain dance and is just here for..... Beatdown. I dont think i have anything to epxlain with this guy.

That's all for this time, CYA.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    Is it neccisary to have all pokemon (excluding Scizor) running Rain dance? I suggest using Damp Rock > Leftovers on Zapdos, and maybe another on Starmie, other than that you should be running more attacks. I'll come back for something beter later, i'm lazy.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    aaaaa you don't need 5 Rain Dancers on one team >.<

Like the above poster said, give Zapdos a Damp Rock so your rain lasts for 8 turns. Then you really only need another support pokemon with Rain Dance, if you put it on everyone you're just wasting moveslots.

I would scarf Porygon-Z so you have some insurance against some of the faster sweepers. I know you don't like choice items, but you're gonna be wishing you had something to outspeed DD Mence or Gyara after they get a boost in, especially if your rain doesn't last the whole game. =(

Some support for your sweepers would also be nice. Everything on this team is pure offense, so you're gonna have to use almost perfect prediction to ensure that your team doesn't take bit hits. And even then, stuff like CB Salamence and Tyranitar hit right through you without even trying. Something like Bronzong would be a good check against those big hitters, and it can keep your rain going or even set up some screens for your fragile sweepers. I'd put it >> Floatzel, which is kinda dead weight right now since you already have 2 sweepers that can take advantage of the rain.

Good luck with the team \o/

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok, so P-Z is totally random and not adding anything. Ludicolo >> it. You can run Surf/Ice Beam/Energy Ball/Rain Dance or Focus Punch.

If specs Jolteon gets in you lose, try a Rotom wash > zapdos. Rain Dance/H-Pump/Thunder/Pain Split works well. Max hp and speed.

Kabutops does a better job than Floatzel and is ALOT harder to wall. That is an understatement. SD/X-Scissor/Stone Edge/Waterfall, OHKO'S 95% of OU in the rain if not more.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    U-Turn is somewhat gimmick on SD Scizor , use Bug Bite since it gains STAB and Technician Boost and hits so hard , you might as well use Bulky SD Scizor .

Kabutops > Floatzel because like what DA said , and it is not Weak to SDLuke's ExtremeSpeed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    Along with what everyone else has said, may I recomend a support Starmie?

Starmie @ Lefties,
    Bold, Natural Cure
    252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
    ~Surf
    ~Reflect/Thunder Bolt/Rapid Spin
    ~Rain Dance
    ~Recover

He should help your team out with Rain once it clears up and possibly Reflect support, which could be helpful when setting up with Kingdra/Scizor.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    Thx for all help guys. By reading your posts no one of you seem to like the Floatzel in there. However i cant decide if i should use Ludicolo, Kabutops or Bronzong. You also dont seem to like 5 Rain dancers so what to replace with? I guess i can replace U-Turn with BB.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Team very weak to Elettric STAB, for me you should cover better this weakness.

Back