• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In your opinion, is it worth buying manga?

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    If I like the manga i'll buy it. If no one buys the manga and just reads it online then the companies will just assume it's not a profitable business and drop it. And besides, it's way better reading it in a book with actual pages.

Before I start a series though I usually read the first couple of chapters online and then decide if I like it or not and if I do, i'll buy it, if I don't, I don't buy it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Me, I only buy manga that I love. It's pricy, and I only want to drop 10 bucks a book if I know I'll get a lot of reread value (Like my favorite, Fullmetal Alchemist!).

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I group manga and non-newspaper comics into the same barrel, and with both I say that I will only purchase one if I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll usually rent books/comics from the library before buying a title. This is why I have a grand total of about 3 comics/manga in my entire collection, one of which was from a... er, quite embarrassing time in my life (i.e. weeaboo moment).

I absolutely loathe reading manga online because the sites often don't shrink the pages to fit on smaller resolutions so I can't read the whole page at once >:(

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    I buy manga because sometimes the scans on the internet are just from the magazine and not from the volumes released, which means the chapters have other pages added in. Also, there are some manga that get licensed and you can't read on the internet. So if I see it on the bookstore shelves and I enjoyed it, of course I buy it. Besides, as others have said, it is nice to be able to crack open a manga volume in your hands since you won't always have your computer nearby.

Years
  • I don't believe manga is really worth buying anymore. It is worth near to nothing when trying to be sold back and at least for me it lives on a shelf its entire life.
    When I took a large amount of books to a bookstore I got about 25 cents each for all my manga. It was...saddening.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • It's more for collecting than for reading, IMO; I'd only consider the manga that I think are excellent in quality in regards to their size to be worth buying / keeping.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have only bought Dragonball (about 37 or so of the 42 books) and some One Piece mangas. It was a while ago when I actually cared about manga... until I found out that there was pokémon manga 8D

I've never really been a big fan of manga or anime at all, so if i watch anime, I do it online and if I read manga, I do it online too. I've thought about buying Pokémon Special just for emotional value... maybe I'll do it some day. when I'm brave enough to keep them on my bookshelf and tell people that I like pokémon

Back