• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Initiating battles through events keeps causing crashes

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2022
    I've read through the docs and I've followed a few tutorials, but I keep getting these problems.

When the battle initiates, the game crashes. The crash window is too long to fit on my screen. Here is the log from the txt:

Spoiler:

Here are the pages for the event that crashed and the event that works. Both have another blank page triggered by self-switch A like all the sample battles have.

I do not understand why this one battle works but the others do not. The event structure is the same as far as I can tell since I literally just copy/pasted it and changed the trainer name and class.

"TESTMAN, Jim" is most definitely a trainer in trainers.txt and the class TESTMAN is in trainertypes.txt, so I don't think that could be causing any problems.

Please help, I am losing my mind. I clearly do not understand how trainer battles work in this and I would really appreciate some help clearing it up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2024
    Your pbtrainerbattle just says (:testman)

It should say
    PBTrainerBattle(:TESTMAN,"Jim")

You have to define a trainer's name. Thats why your rival battle works but not your test.

Years
    • Seen today
    You just have to think for a moment. There are many trainers that use the same class. There's a ton of different CAMPER's or COOLTRAINER's. How is the game supposed to know which particular trainer among those in that class you're trying to initiate a battle with? You need their name.

Back