• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Friends know all!

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
  • I've told my closest online friends some personal stuff myself.
    But that's only because I needed someone to talk to, and I know it's very unlikely they'll be able to track me down in real life.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • It depends. Only very few people irl know about me in depth such as my close friend, my brother and people whom I can really trust. Online, it is definitely easier and less intimidating to reveal more info to online friends due to the fact that both parties are separated by 'screens of safety', also known as the screens of mobile devices. People can't judge you by your facial expressions, gestures and vocal intonation as all they are able to see are words with slight expressions in the form of smilies. c: People like to feel safe and secure, and in these environments, they tend to let their guard down a lot more.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I seem to tell my online friends more about myself than my RL friends. I'm more open online than in real life. The only place I was more open at then the Internet was when I would go to youth group as teen and with my dad.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • So, benign online disinhibition. I've been more on the receiving end of it more than I am the one doing it. And sometimes one person's extra personal information just happens to be the first conversation starter. Ah, me. Well, I'm a trustworthy, non judgmental fellow so I tend to just listen, and I don't really mind.

TBH I don't think there's anything anyone online knows more about me than offline. I find it harder to relate to people online, which is weird given that ideally we should have more in common. I don't think I have any internet friends, at best I have many acquaintances. On the other hand, I tend to talk to a lot of my RL friends on Skype if I happen to be off campus. Does that count?

I guess to answer the question, offline folk know more about me than online folk do, and it's not even a preference thing. I'd be willing to share the same information either way, but I think too many people are distracted online to give anyone undivided attention, so it's just how it goes. It's not like I have any dark secrets or deep emotional scars. I'm pretty clean cut. Haha, that might be boring to some people, though. The only thing I keep to myself, though, are projects and ideas for projects*. My own family doesn't even know about those, and I trust them above all. Heck, I wouldn't tell my dog, if I had a dog to tell.

*Doubly true if said idea/project can make me money. $$$!

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    I tell more to online friends, of course ^.^ I'm more comfortable with it, rather than confiding in my real life friends...

Back