• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Iris: "What A Kid!"

Years
    I seriously don't know why people are getting so worked up, Misty did it much more. Heck, Misty was even abusive.

Ash should seriously be the one getting annoyed, not us lot. xD

If anything I agree with Iris, he needs to grow up. I think she's even noticed he hasn't aged at all.

I'll say, remember when Misty slapped him around in the first three episodes?

As long as Iris doesn't do Yiddish expressions, I'm cool with her. Heh.

(Yeah, but the aging part is more the producers' idea, than Ash's. So, don't blame the kid too much.)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    It's annoying me, greatly, it's even more annoying than "No Need to Worry" which annoyed me as well -_-

I hope there's a future episode where Iris' does something wrong and Ash say's it. u_u

XD That would be so funny if Ash says it at one point.

I seriously don't know why people are getting so worked up, Misty did it much more. Heck, Misty was even abusive.

About that...

I find it really annoying! It was okay the first few times because Ash was acting like a noob to be fair, but now she basically just whips this phrase out for no reason most of the time.

I mean, it was alright for Misty to make fun of Ash because back then, he was a kid who was just new to "the world of pokemon"

This.

It's so irritating. I can't stand it at all. Misty may have told Ash he was a kid and abused him a fair amount of the time- but Misty gave reasons, told Ash why/how he was immature, and wasn't as much of a friggin' hypocrite.

..This.

It's extremely annoying. Misty may have been abusive, but it's always funny to see Ash get hurt.

If I were Ash, that jungle girl would be at the bottom of a lake by now.

...and this. And LOL at the "jungle girl" comment. :cer_laugh:

I find it really annoying! It was okay the first few times because Ash was acting like a noob to be fair, but now she basically just whips this phrase out for no reason most of the time.

I mean, it was alright for Misty to make fun of Ash because back then, he was a kid who was just new to "the world of pokemon" (corny I know) but Ash has been through 4 regional competitions (5 including the Orange Island one plus the battle frontier) so it doesn't seem right that she should keep saying it... I know she probably doesn't know about those but Ash should just tell her and be done with being called a kid.

But on a lighter note, I actually quite like Iris :)

Agreed, overall.

^__^ I'm sorry, but as an Iris fan, I freaking enjoy her line.

I just found my new profile video.

LOL, you weren't kidding. I actually laughed AND got annoyed by the video. I'm a fan of the amazing Iris as well, but my GOSH are the "kid" lines annoying.

After hearing it so many times in the Japanese, and then so many times in the dub, I've basically just started to tune it out. xD;

They get points for at least keeping that quote as part of her character, rather just cutting it out, like Dent's "It's tasting time!", which was totally removed for Cilan. Not that he said it every episode, but you know.. It's something that adds to their characters.

I'm still miffed that "It's tasting time!" got cut out. I thought they were going to stick to the script! The phrase "It's tasting time!" so sounds like what a chef who's doling out food puns in some cheesy American cartoon would say. It's even alliterative! ;_;

Someone should do a remix or parody or rehash or whatever it is from that video clip.

*kicks AK47 out of the thread* XP

I agree with what Iris says, but it is starting to get annoying by using the same phrase. Like someone said earlier, if they worded it differently now and then, it wouldn't be as annoying.

To the people saying that Misty did the same thing and much worse than what Iris is doing, well, back when Misty was around, we were all little, and we didn't mind it as much, and it was entertaining to me at least instead of being irritating.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]There was one part where Ash didn't know where to go next, and Iris's "kid" line was uncalled for. You can't expect him to know a region that's new to him by heart.[/S-HIGHLIGHT] That time was not cool. And the way she keeps saying it is becoming an insult to Ash. If he wasn't the kid and was really acting older, he'd tell Iris to shut up right away if she knew what's good for her. Gym leader or not.

"No need to worry" wasn't as annoying as this is. That phrase wasn't told every episode.

Stupid. Statement. Dance. Mix.
    Stupid. Statement. Dance. Mix.
    Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
    Stu-Stu-Stu-Stu-Stu-Stu-StuStuStuStu.
    WHAT A KID.

Wording the phrase differently would definitely help.

But seriously, a remix of Iris's "What A Kid" has the potential to be hippo. XD

I got annoyed about the "map" thing as well when Iris still said "What a kid." As someone nicely pointed out on YouTube, if Iris was instantly dropped in Kanto, she wouldn't know Pallet Town from Viridan City. And Ash has traveled Kanto TWICE. Iris would most likely be roaming around as well. Most likely, if an area's new to you, you're going to ask for directions at some point. Ash was just overly excited to get to the first Unova Gym, that's all.

Iris would make a bad tutorial guide, say if you were playing some RPG for the first time and you were making mistakes, she'd tag along and say those things. Would easily get me angry.

HEY! LISTEN!
    WHAT A KID.
    HEY! LISTEN!
    YOU'RE SUCH A KID.
    HEY! LISTEN!
    WHAT A KID.
    HEY! LISTEN!
    SUCH A KID.

Repeat ad nauseum. Ladies and gentleTrainers, the equivalent of RPG videogame torture. I'd get irritated just as much.

So yeah..."What a kid" was tolerable the first few times; now, it's just annoying. And it was never humorous.

And personally, I regard Ash and Iris as ~the same age (at this point, 13-15 years old), so Iris, despite having Gym Leader status, is "such a kid" as well. >_>

Does anyone know if they can compile Iris's Japanese equivalent of "What a kid." moments as well?

You know, if Iris actually said "What a n00b." or "You're such a nub.", I would be less annoyed and start ROFLing way more. XD If Sho can say n00b, Iris should definitely be able to replace "Kid" with n00b/nub. Then her catchphrase would be a little more amusing and somewhat less annoying.

Last edited:

WaterSplash

Common
    Years
    So today's episode, "The Bloom is On Axew!" should definitively end her catchphrase.

Spoiler:

Yes, I find it quite annoying, and the way Ash looks sometimes when she says it are my sentimates exactly.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    It's annoying me, greatly, it's even more annoying than "No Need to Worry" which annoyed me as well -_-

I hope there's a future episode where Iris' does something wrong and Ash say's it. u_u

I second this. Watched the Kanto Season and skipped right up to Best Wishes, and I was annoyed everytime Iris says "Such a child!" or "What a kid"...

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Every time I've heard it, she says it the exact same way... "What a kid!". You'd think that maybe they'd try to change the phrasing some more or even the tone a bit. It's obnoxious because it's always the same, if they added some flavor to it, it wouldn't be nearly as annoying as it is now.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

I mean, it was alright for Misty to make fun of Ash because back then, he was a kid who was just new to "the world of pokemon" (corny I know) but Ash has been through 4 regional competitions (5 including the Orange Island one plus the battle frontier) so it doesn't seem right that she should keep saying it... I know she probably doesn't know about those but Ash should just tell her and be done with being called a kid.

But on a lighter note, I actually quite like Iris :)

the thing about misty doing is the fact that Ash was a kid back then but iris is like what 5 years his junior?

but what i have realised is that after each season ash goes back to being 10, his pikachu back to level 1 and its like he never accomplished anything ever.

When paul was talking about all of his achievements last season i wanted ash to just get and say "i did that too and better than you"

Sorry? Ahem. Answer me this; Has Ash actually learnt much at all since going through over 4 regions?? Heck, there must be some justification as to what Iris said when he threw that pokéball straight away.

Either way I just see it as the relationship they have - she obviously doesn't mean it any more. Just think of it as Misty and Ash without any abuse.
    >I'm just trying to be a bit controversal since nearly everyone in this thread is annoyed by her...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    I was fine with it the first time, but after she said it so many times... I got a little annoyed, but not enough to rant and vent. XD I'm more interested as to why she has the need to tell Ash that he's a kid, though! I bet she was treated the same way at some time.

I'm not annoyed so long as Ash is okay with it! He seems, on the contrary, to be quite grown-up about it by no longer throwing a fit about her calling him that. ^^ WELL, I'll watch the next episode and see. XD

EDIT: Agreed with above-- I don't think she really means it anymore!

Last edited:

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    Ugh. I always found it annoying. From the first time I heard it. Ash is probably older anyway.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I do wonder how many times total it will reach by the end of Black and White.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    After 7 episodes of Black & White, we have heard this infamous line 13 times, that's right, 13 times.

YOU DON'T SOUND OUTRAGED ENOUGH WHERE IS YOUR CAPS LOCK?!

Anyway, I'm probably worst out of all the HATURRS 'cos I'm just keen to insult for my own amusement rather than semi-intelligently discuss about this. I will try, though!

My opinion will almost certainly be biased as I can think of at least twenty Pokemon human characters I would rather see as Ash's sidekick (Elesa, Cress, Chili, The Move Deleter, The Dude That Shows You How to Jump Over a Cliff Thingy (he will be useful!), Drayden, Pikaman...), but LOL, here goes...

I really like Iris' character but I think TPCi could have done a much better job with the writing in general.

I don't think any amount of good translation-writing is going to save her. She's irritating in Japanese, and irritating in English. Trust me, she'll be irritating in Ukranian, too. JESUS, JUST MAKE A MAIN FEMALE CHARACTER THAT ISN'T ANNOYING! What is it with womenz being annoying in most shounen stuff? Sakura in Naruto, Nami in One Piece... Maybe it's just me.

I agree with what Iris says, but it is starting to get annoying by using the same phrase. Like someone said earlier, if they worded it differently now and then, it wouldn't be as annoying.

Disagree. The meaning behind the phrase is annoying, not the repetition. C'mon, Pokemon fans! We should be used to repetition by now! Man up!

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    Posted this somewhere else but it's more relevant here,

It doesn't help that Ash's current VA sucks. If Veronica Taylor did Ash's voice in the style of Kanto/Johto then I'm certain his reactions to Iris's put downs would be a lot more funnier and more noticeble which in turn would make Iris "What a Kid" comment less annoying. At the moment it's all very pointless.

That said I don't really "hate" Iris. I much prefer her more aggresive, condescending and haughty personality compared to the timid Dawn who was just boring. She hasn't done enough so far to be really annoying.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    At the moment it's all very pointless.

She's mostly pointless.

I much prefer her more aggresive, condescending and haughty personality compared to the timid Dawn who was just boring.

See, why does it have to be so black and white (DON'T.)? Why did they change her so much? It's almost as though they made Iris a character-palette swap of Misty. Dudes, I freakin' love palette swaps, but cloning a crappy and annoying character is just not fair.

You see, with Dento, he has a lot of things in common with Brock, but overall, he's mostly a different person. Still somewhat of a clone, but Iris can be viewed as a carbon personality copy of Misty. Misty fanboys just love saying "AT LEAST MISTY HAD A POINT, GAIS!" but y'know, she could just not insult Ash so often altogether. An insult is an insult; a **** character is a **** character.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    I can't really see real issue with this.Iris is 10 year old child having common behaviour for kids.Not being so much familiar with Ash's past prior to coming to Unova aswell cultures between Unova and other regions like Hoenn,Johto,Sinnoh etc. being very different explains why she may question his ability as trainer .Sure her constant tendency of trying to correct him can seem annoying and it is unfair at times needing to cut him some slack but to go in her defense its not like Ash wasn't asking for it at times.Some of his rookie mistakes he did at start falling for Iris baits showed visible signs of immaturity opening material for arguing.

Though i agree with people who said how it was more justified when Misty criticized Ash back in day when he was complete newbie and naive kid.Her teasing and critics were more a way to keep him humble when his ego got out of control pointing out mistakes which helped him in his future growth as trainer.

You see, with Dento, he has a lot of things in common with Brock, but overall, he's mostly a different person. Still somewhat of a clone, but Iris can be viewed as a carbon personality copy of Misty.

Im not sure if i would call them "carbon copies" of each other.
    Misty has different personality for most part being tomboyish temperative girl which falled for romance and things she adored being quite snarky while Iris is more along the lines of being playful yet wild jungle type of girl who likes to act smart.
    From what i recall she was also more violent in start than Iris is.

Aside from teasing about battling skills Iris doesn't really helps in mentoring Ash either being vastly different character.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I said can be viewed. Perhaps I didn't word it well enough. I should have said "I can understand why people could view her as a carbon copy of Misty." Pardon me. X(

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Sorry? Ahem. Answer me this; Has Ash actually learnt much at all since going through over 4 regions?? Heck, there must be some justification as to what Iris said when he threw that pokéball straight away.

Either way I just see it as the relationship they have - she obviously doesn't mean it any more.

Considering that Ash has been able to secure high positions in the various Pokemon League conferences (with his highest rank notably being one of the Top 4 in the Lily of the Valley Conference) and he was offered the status of Frontier Brain, I would claim that he must have learned something throughout all of his travels from Kanto to Sinnoh so far, in terms of battling ability. Frontier Brain isn't just a title handed out to some random "kid", or even your average skilled Trainer. And he's caught Pokemon dozens have time - he should have the Pokemon-capturing routine down by now; it should even be second nature to him. Most Trainers typically know that throwing a Poke Ball at a Pokemon with full luck is pushing your luck quite a bit, and Ash should know this by now....

I still think Iris means it that she still views Ash as a kid most of the time. Her BW010 outburst when Frillish's Cursed Body ability activated spoke volumes, in a sense...

YOU DON'T SOUND OUTRAGED ENOUGH WHERE IS YOUR CAPS LOCK?!

Anyway, I'm probably worst out of all the HATURRS 'cos I'm just keen to insult for my own amusement rather than semi-intelligently discuss about this. I will try, though!

My opinion will almost certainly be biased as I can think of at least twenty Pokemon human characters I would rather see as Ash's sidekick (Elesa, Cress, Chili, The Move Deleter, The Dude That Shows You How to Jump Over a Cliff Thingy (he will be useful!), Drayden, Pikaman...), but LOL, here goes...

I don't think any amount of good translation-writing is going to save her. She's irritating in Japanese, and irritating in English. Trust me, she'll be irritating in Ukranian, too. JUST MAKE A MAIN FEMALE CHARACTER THAT ISN'T ANNOYING! What is it with womenz being annoying in most shounen stuff? Sakura in Naruto, Nami in One Piece... Maybe it's just me.

Disagree. The meaning behind the phrase is annoying, not the repetition. C'mon, Pokemon fans! We should be used to repetition by now! Man up!

ROFL. CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

LOL @ the Dude That Shows You How To Jump Over A Cliff Thingy and The Move Deleter.

Elesa could be a GREAT addition to the main traveling cast. :3

LOL...Iris in Ukrainian...I wonder exactly how annoying she would sound? But yeah, it does seem like the writing is making her more annoying..

Sakura and Nami aren't annoying... ;_; Well, OK, Sakura was partly annoying in that she was occasionally a jerk to Naruto in Part 1 and she hardly did anything outside of the Chunin Exams' Forest of Death arc in Part 1 (pre-Naruto Shippuden series). Still... -.-

The meaning and the repetition of Iris's catchphrase are equally annoying. >_> It's excessively repetitive, and sometimes it's exactly the same as a prior usage.

See, why does it have to be so black and white (DON'T.)? Why did they change her so much? It's almost as though they made Iris a character-palette swap of Misty. Dudes, I freakin' love palette swaps, but cloning a crappy and annoying character is just not fair.

You see, with Dento, he has a lot of things in common with Brock, but overall, he's mostly a different person. Still somewhat of a clone, but Iris can be viewed as a carbon personality copy of Misty. Misty fanboys just love saying "AT LEAST MISTY HAD A POINT, GAIS!" but y'know, she could just not insult Ash so often altogether. An insult is an insult; a **** character is a **** character.

Your love of palette swaps is evident in your usertitle. :] I don't think Iris is exactly like Misty in some regards though...Iris seems to act like she knows more than Ash..Misty criticized Ash as well, but I don't think she was blatantly trying to make it known that "she knows more than Ash"...she acknowledged that she was still progressing in her own training, IIRC.

I can't really see real issue with this.Iris is 10 year old child having common behaviour for kids.Not being so much familiar with Ash's past prior to coming to Unova aswell cultures between Unova and other regions like Hoenn,Johto,Sinnoh etc. being very different explains why she may question his ability as trainer .Sure her constant tendency of trying to correct him can seem annoying and it is unfair at times needing to cut him some slack but to go in her defense its not like Ash wasn't asking for it at times.Some of his rookie mistakes he did at start falling for Iris baits showed visible signs of immaturity opening material for arguing.

Though i agree with people who said how it was more justified when Misty criticized Ash back in day when he was complete newbie and naive kid.Her teasing and critics were more a way to keep him humble when his ego got out of control pointing out mistakes which helped him in his future growth as trainer.

Im not sure if i would call them "carbon copies" of each other.
    Misty has different personality for most part being tomboyish temperative girl which falled for romance and things she adored being quite snarky while Iris is more along the lines of being playful yet wild jungle type of girl who likes to act smart.
    From what i recall she was also more violent in start than Iris is.

Aside from teasing about battling skills Iris doesn't really helps in mentoring Ash either being vastly different character.

10-year-olds aren't nearly as annoying as Iris's catchphrase, from most of my experience. >_> (and I still maintain that she's 13...) And it seems like it would be somewhat awkward for a 10-year-old to admonish another Trainer/peer like that... Though Iris may be trying to trigger Ash's immaturity as a way of bonding or something.. :\ Good point about how Misty's criticizing was a bit more justified than Iris's, as well as how Misty and Iris can be differentiated from each other.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
    Well, the saying goes 'a joke is never funny twice'. In this case, it wasn't funny the first time.

But, maybe it's the writers letting us know that Ash will never grow up and will always be 10 years old, which is bollocks.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    Love or hate her the fact that she provokes a lot of discussion with many people having differing poloarising opinions of her means that the writers seem to be doing something right. A sign of a good charachter is how passionatiely (whether positive or negative) people feel about her and her actions.

Sorry to bash Dawn again, but you could take her out of D&P and I don't anyone really would have cared or noticed.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    ROFL. CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

IT SURE IS BRO. EVERYONE CAN'T IGNORE ME! =) THAT MAKES ME COOL, DUH

OK, Sakura was partly annoying in that she was occasionally a jerk to Naruto in Part 1 and she hardly did anything outside of the Chunin Exams' Forest of Death arc in Part 1 (pre-Naruto Shippuden series). Still... -.-

I used to be obsessed with Naruto, so I'm still very familiar about it all. I didn't mind that she was "useless"; I hated the fact that she would preach as though she were of use. Which she wasn't until the Chuunin Exams Arc. She's a Tsunade clone, and that's boring.

I don't think Iris is exactly like Misty in some regards though...Iris seems to act like she knows more than Ash..Misty criticized Ash as well, but I don't think she was blatantly trying to make it known that "she knows more than Ash"...she acknowledged that she was still progressing in her own training, IIRC.

I was kinda joking, but I'm moderately serious about Iris' undeniable similarities to Misty. She's definitely MUCH more annoying than Misty. Even after 29 episodes, I still dislike her as much as her debut. Sure, she's adorable, but that's not a saving grace in my book.

Well, the saying goes 'a joke is never funny twice'. In this case, it wasn't funny the first time.

Good man.

Love or hate her the fact that she provokes a lot of discussion with many people having differing poloarising opinions of her means that the writers seem to be doing something right. A sign of a good charachter is how passionatiely (whether positive or negative) people feel about her and her actions.

Not sure if I agree. A goodness/badness of a character doesn't have any bearing on their quality. It's subjective, for starters, as it is opinion based. I wouldn't say I'm passionate- I just don't like it when Iris is defended for crappy reasons, or when people are like "I HATE DENTO CAUSE HE REPEATS HIMSELF!11!1!", or "I HATE ASH 'COS HE'S A NOOB" but don't seem to mind Iris. Hypocrisy is annoying.

What have the writers done with her, exactly? She can make MEDISUNNS. She can smell rain. She can swing on vines. She's bold, OMG. She has a sixth sense. She's a quick-thinker sometimes. In summary: not much.

Who knows? She could surprise me in the future and be interesting. I do like Dragon-types, after all. I could be very wrong. 29 episodes in the Pokemon anime world is a night that is very young.

Back