• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is global warming real?

~GodricGryffindor9~

WOW! THATS A LOW PRICE!
    Years
    Yes and no.

Yes: It is happening.

No: Not at the rate people want us to believe it has. * Goes to check science book * It has only gone up like 1.5 degrees in the past hundred something years. Plus we have evidence that the earth was once warmer then it was now in like... Julius Ceasers time I believe?

Anyway it IS happening. Though not at the HUGE CLIMBING RATE the media tells us. And the earth will eventually cool down I guess.

PS: This came out of a science book. If I dont seem to have any idea on what Im talking about well then... XD

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Yeah, it exists, but really, we're not the entire reason for this. Seriously, we're fine. People just make it seem like we're going to die in the next 10 years if something isn't done. We could take better care of the planet, though.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    im so damn horrible at discussion
    Well, I think Global Warming is true. You know, those scientists know their stuff. XD LOL
    But I do think that water would go up in about 20 years, so im still fine. XD

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Look it is true, I have not doubt about that. But people are taking it a bit out of proportion. And I do actually get quite annoyed when people think that the 'ozone' problem and 'Global warming' are the same thing. The ozone problem is caused from cfc's or chlourofuro carbons which clash with the ozone layer causing holes. However the global warming problem is caused by green house gases that release into the atmoshpere trapping more heat than usual which would be regualry sent back into space. :cer_nod:

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Global Warming is bullsh*t, everyone should know that, if it was real, it would be caused by the politics shoving it's existence down our throats, and the Polar bears are NOT dying out, they are just saying that to promote this crap called Global Warming....

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Global Warming is bullsh*t, everyone should know that, if it was real, it would be caused by the politics shoving it's existence down our throats, and the Polar bears are NOT dying out, they are just saying that to promote this crap called Global Warming....

I think this is a very ignorant and dangerous assumption.

Now, I am a scientist (BS in Chemistry) and I took an entire course on Environmental Chemistry, and there's no real question as to whether something is or is not taking place. I'll admit, I'm a bit reserved in believing Global Warming to the extent that some of the environmentalists say, but to say it is downright bull and say it doesn't exist... that's just dumb. I believe the jury is out as to whether it exists or not, at least among the scientific community.

Droidz

¬‿¬
    Years
    I agree with the poster above me. To think that global warming is non-existent is stupid.

I think its real but I don't think it causing any serious problems to be worried about.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    What I don't get is how taking better care of the earth is a scam.

I assure everyone here that if we aren't careful with our environment we can and will destroy it very quickly. Though, Global Warming probably wouldn't be the cause of such a quick demise. Probably something more along the lines of pollutants getting through filters and into the water supply and food, nuclear accidents, things like that.

We already do a great deal to take care of it. Why not do more? We're only helping ourselves.

So I ask... How is this a scam?

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years

Sorry to break it to you but...

I think this is a very ignorant and dangerous assumption.

Now, I am a scientist (BS in Chemistry) and I took an entire course on Environmental Chemistry, and there's no real question as to whether something is or is not taking place. I'll admit, I'm a bit reserved in believing Global Warming to the extent that some of the environmentalists say, but to say it is downright bull and say it doesn't exist... that's just dumb. I believe the jury is out as to whether it exists or not, at least among the scientific community.

...is absolutely correct. The world is unfortuately warming up. It is however a mostly natural process and nothing for humans to worry too much about.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I believe that global warming is very real, albeit not as bad as some people believe. The fact of the matter is that we have seen a decrease in the amount of ozone in the atmosphere (ozone is primarily found in the [EDIT:] stratosphere and is important in absorbing UV-B and some UV-C light). Naturally, ozone breaks apart into diatomic oxygen and an oxygen radical, and they eventually come back together. Many of the chemicals we stick into the atmosphere can effectively kill ozone, such as chlorofluoric carbons (the stuff that used to be found in hairspray and other aerosols). Sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide are equally as bad (sulfur dioxide can form aqueous sulfuric acid, and cause acid rain, and carbon dioxide is perhaps the best known greenhouse gas).
    Ok I just need to say: The Ozone layer breaking down is not Global Warming. Ozone breakdown is caused by CFCs and does not affect temperature, only UV levels. Global Warming is caused by greenhouse gases.

On topic, I do believe in Global Warming. The evidence is there, although whether it is wholly our fault is debatable. The earth goes through hotter and colder cycles, as shown by the ice ages but, it is true that CO2 levels have risen exponentially since the industrial revolution. Also due to the huge amount of cattle we raise, it is impossible the great amounts of methane they produce not to have had some impact on the environment.

Years
    im in an AP Environmental Science class at my school and i can prove to you that global warming (or climate change as we call it) IS REAL.

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    The answer is yes, and it's been proven many times.

why is this thread not locked?

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    The answer is yes, and it's been proven many times.

why is this thread not locked?

Because the people who believe in manmade global warming can't handle some real debate about stuff like geologic history, solar activity, and ice age cycles. Refer to my video in an earlier post, and try to argue against THAT. It's legitimate science.

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    I watched the video, it's stupid.

and legitimate science doesn't exist.

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    lol i was just kidding with the science thing

but seriously, that video was boring :|
    not that it was wrong, it was just boring

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No.

The Earth naturally has periods of cooling and warming. We might even have another Ice Age sometime.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Ok I just need to say: The Ozone layer breaking down is not Global Warming. Ozone breakdown is caused by CFCs and does not affect temperature, only UV levels. Global Warming is caused by greenhouse gases.

You are right, it is not "Global Warming", but it is causing more UV radiation then usual to get straight to Earth. And, at that, how can you say it doesn't affect temperature? Don't you recall from even the basic science classes that UV radiation is a potent form of energy, and heat is energy? The UV radiation is, if anything absorbed by the Earth, and emitted back out as heat (to give a basic example, why do you think a light bulb gets hot after a while? It's just emitting light, right? You figure it out). In order for people to understand the whole picture, it is important to understand the pieces of the puzzle. ;)

And at that, it's just as much of an issue as Greenhouse Gases. It's just as important a topic, and shouldn't be brushed aside because it doesn't fall into the technical definition of "Global Warming".

Oh, and it's not just CFC's (and actually, almost all CFCs have been replaced by HCFCs to somewhat prevent Ozone breakdown). Hydroxides, atomic chlorines (any halogen radical, if I remember?), many things can break down Ozone.

Sorry, I'm definitely an Ozone activist. It's just fun to say, in my opinion.
    All together now! Oooooozzzooooone! :)

Back