• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I always used to name them "Alex" because that's my name and I'm incredibly creative ;p Although now they're always named Ozzy since that's my nickname at school/from friends. :3

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • When we were kids, we used to watch Ash and his adorable Pikachu. That is why kids always want to name themselves with the greatest Trainer they could think of. of course we all know that it is Red.

Years
  • Named them Ash in R/B/Y since I loved the anime. I remember getting Pokémon Gold for my birthday a few years later and one of the default names for the character was Karl (which is my name) so I felt like I needed to pick that. I've used Karl ever since.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • To be honest, I named my character (and every other nameable thing) "AAAAAAA"...
    I was a slowww kid, didn't know how these contraptions worked. I did this up to the 2nd Generation. XD

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
  • I never have, my name I use is and will always be Speedie
    Although back in when me and my friends played Gen III a few of my friends called themselves Ash

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    I named mine Ash, but without all caps.

1. It was from the show, which I saw first

2. I was the type who always used official default names, but just naming them red and blue felt dumb to me.

TamerKoh

World of Chaos Super Deluxe...
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    I've never named the main character Ash. I've always named them based on the game color, or if I've heard their real names. Due to that, Red and Gold were correct, but Emerald was wrong for Ruby. After the 3rd generation, I just researched their real names and used those as input instead.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • I'd give myself an original name, but get stumped for my rival. He always ends up being Gary. Sometimes I would name myself Red or Silver, but that was it on the unoriginal names.

Kitsune Genetica

Tea and crumpets!
    Years
  • Never, ever did that. Especially since Gamefreak have been designing more diverse characters. I always use the name Soma, though I used to use the original names given by the franchise.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • Yeah I used to call myself Ash a lot in R/B/Y and G/S/C but then I started using "Mikey", since its my name.

But over the last few years I prefer to use the game's version name (E.g. Red, Emerald, Black) or their "official" name (E.g. Lucas and Brendan) I'm so creative as you can see :D

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I named myself Matt, Twi, and when I ran with the female trainer, I named her Rose. No ash there. I've never met anyone who named there guy ash. One person named there character Gary but thats about it.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Never used Ash. I used my own name, Jesse, all the way up until Ruby. Since 2007 however, I earned a nickname for xbox 360 online & became well known to the Halo Big Team community and even more popular in the Battlefield series after holding my spot in the top 100 on the leaderboard for several games. That name, is "Sector Revenge." Hint: My name on here too. So I use "Sector" for pretty much everything, even my person's name is Sector in Pokemon in all of them.

Back