• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it me, or did the 4th gen have too many new evolutions?

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
    I think not, the new eves were... Random however when diamond is your first game, they grow on you, also I do agree that they should've made new evo lines, not just PROBOPASSES AND MAGMORTARS

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    It's also because Third Gen. has nearly no Cross-Gen Evos. The only ones that I remember from Third Gen. to have a Cross-Gen Evo with previous Gen. is Azurill and Wynaut.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I think they had a reasonable amount of new evolutions. Hoenn didn't have that much so its making up for it.

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
    I wish they had more evolutions more pokemon the better in my opinion

I think snorlax was ok without that preevolution (I mean, it doesn't mean anything, you would evolve it anyway).

most of the evolutions have dumb looks (poor lickitung... he was so cool...)

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Yeah that maybe true but I'm sure people weren't going to try and attempt to use Gligar, Yanma, or even Nosepass without the inclusion of these evolutions :/.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    I think snorlax was ok without that preevolution (I mean, it doesn't mean anything, you would evolve it anyway).

HEY GUESS WHAT let me prove you wrong
    magby
    smoochum
    azumarril (i don't know what marrils pre-evolution is called)
    elekid
    pichu
    cleffa
    igglybuff
    tyrogue

Hell all of those pokemon suck and none of them are from 4th gen
    I could have done without all of the pre-evelutions that require friendship
    blame 2nd gen not 4th gen for "baby" pokemon

then the second part of your post is just you not liking sprites, nothing to do with unneeded evolutions or being too many evolutions. EDIT: yeah i hate some of the sprites every generation; dunsparce just makes me cringe but some of them like rhyperior and magnezone are just badass
    yeah i beat you in honorable forum combat :)

Last edited:

GreenLanturn

Interior Crocodile Fraligatr
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012

i agree about the dumb looking ones, PROBEPASS...cmon gamefreak. although some like yanmega and hinchkrow were both needed and great.

Humph...

Ice-Dragon DESTROYER
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    i think that many baby pokemon came from johto, hoenn just added new pokemon ( i dont remember evolutions)(wynaut is a preevolution), sinnoh came with a HUGE number of evolutions, making a lot of kanto pokemon stronger(and also some of johto)(and hoenn). I don't consider them to look dumb, actually i loved the glaceon design. And I expect that the 5th generation to include mawile and sableye evolutions. I also want other pokemon to evolve, such as farfetch'd, pachirisu, chatot, kecleon(im not sure about this one, i think the design would be hideous!), and luvdisc. But i don't know if they will put them all in one generation.

Sorry for my bad english...

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    rhyperior, probopass, magnezone & magmortar are horrible

yanmega, gliscor, leafeon, glaceon, electivire, & honchkrow were best evolution ideas yet

the rest were meh.

Years
    I think that the only frustrating part about Gen IV's evolutions is that you didn't get most of the base pokemon during normal gameplay. I mean, Gallade was cool, but you couldn't get Ralts until after you beat the Elite 4. Magmortar and Electivire required using Ruby and Sapphire through the dongle method. I wish these pokemon were just available during normal playthroughs.

Also, I agree that most baby pokemon are worthless, but Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum don't fit in that category. Those three are amazing in their own right.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    I fully disagree. The new evolutions provided much more fun to the gameplay, and the designs were decent.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Is it me, or are too many people complaining about something stupid?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Is it me, or are too many people complaining about something stupid?

Agreed. These Pokemon were released four years ago, and we're still complaining, even after seeing what most of these Pokemon can do in battle? I know we're all entitled to our own opinions, but this topic is just too old to be bothered with now. That's just what I think. As far as the Pokemon, I thought there were too many at the time, yes, but I eventually did grow on a few (I love Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Leafeon, and Glaceon). We're stuck with them foreverrrr.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I think that the only frustrating part about Gen IV's evolutions is that you didn't get most of the base pokemon during normal gameplay. I mean, Gallade was cool, but you couldn't get Ralts until after you beat the Elite 4. Magmortar and Electivire required using Ruby and Sapphire through the dongle method. I wish these pokemon were just available during normal playthroughs.

Also, I agree that most baby pokemon are worthless, but Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum don't fit in that category. Those three are amazing in their own right.

This. Very much so. Everything that was in Platinum's extended pokedex should've been in the regional dex in Diamond/Pearl.

It made the addition of several of the best GenIV pokemon like Porygon-Z, Electivire, and Gliscor feel utterly pointless and this is reason #352 why I hate the Sinnoh games more than any other Pokemon game. >_<

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I liked them all thought that a few pokemon were left out that needed new evos like qwilfish poor thing I completely forget about it most of the time

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    Complaining about this topic is pointless. Although I will offer my side of the argument, courtesy of boredom.

I disagree with this topic because there really isn't a limit as to how many new evolutions there can be. New evolutions can help you fill your Pokédex. Even if you don't end up using them in battle, it's always fun to see how the evolved form of a Pokémon is designed.

Back