• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Liking Pokemon something You should hide

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    I didn't get into Pokemon until the fad was dying out. I didn't realize this until a few years later, when people were really avoiding me and treating me differently. I toned my love down, but I was still treated like a geek. When my friend, who was one of the few that knew I still liked it, blabbed to the rest of her friends (when I was sitting right freakin' there), they laughed.

I have yet to really tell anyone I play it, visit forums, watch the anime, and write fanfiction for it. I'm not ashamed of liking it (hell no), I just don't want to be laughed at again. Once was more than enough, thanks...

Is liking Pokemon something you should hide? That depends person-to-person. For me, yes, it is something that should be kept under wraps.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I've been thinking of this lately and readin everyone's different situations and opinions. I have come to think that it really all depends on whether or not you want to admit your liking to Pokémon. Also, it depends on the peole who surround you...Would they be the ones who care, and if so how would they treat it? Or would the people around you be the ones that don't even bother with you liking it or not. It just really depends on your situation of the matter.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I Totally think millions of people are stuck in this dilemma! And i think there's probably more Teens Playing i than young kids because after all it's from our Generation! Pokemon Was launched in Japan like 1995? or something and it was massive here in like 97 98 and most of us are prob still addicted!! I guess it's just a peice of our childhood (well mine anyway) We can't leave behind! plus it's fun like it does bring people together. But to answer your question ( at last LMAO) I'm not ashamed! I just don't feel the need for people to know because they don't get it! Everyone has they're secrets! But at least for some of us on pokecommunity we can share it! :)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I play what I like to play, and if other have a problem with it or want to go ahead and laugh, then let them. At least I'm enjoying myself while they're wasting their time acting immature about something.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    This is something that has bothered me for a really long time.

Pokemon used to be a huge part of my life, and as I was growing up my mother would drop hints that I was getting too old for it. At 13 she took down all my posters and sold all of my videotapes, and she wouldn't take me to see the new movies or allow me to play any of the newer games. See, I'm fine with being an individual, but it's a different story when you're judged even at home.

But now that I'm 17, it's getting easier to screw the rules. I got away with playing Diamond so far. While other kids can't wait to turn 18 so they can legally buy cigarettes, I can't wait until I'm free to play a freaking kid's game. I guess it's getting easier for her to accept because all of my friends play it, but still.

brinazarski

AKA Spotted or Poke'ShipperNya
    Years
    Well, I loved Pokemon even as a toddler - I was a flippin' addict xDD But when middle school started, I slowly stopped watching it. I liked it, but...I just stopped watching it. Playing the games. Idk.

So then in seventh grade, my online buddy was obsessed with Pokemon, especially shippings. I was like "Okay O__o..." since not only was I no longer into Pokemon, but I wasn't into shippings and never was xDD Eventually, we had a fight over Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping (I was the Pearlshipper. I somehow knew who Dawn was o.o), and I really didn't believe in Pokeshipping at all ftw. Then I saw a clip...and was suddenly shocked and addicted to Pokeshipping! :o Then I was all "POKESHIPPING POKESHIPPING POKESHIPPING." Lol. Didn't like the other shippings...and now I like A LOT of shippings xDD Pokeshipping, Advanceshipping, Pearlshipping...you name it lol.

Even though I liked the shippings, I didn't exactly like the games much...but on Christmas, I asked mom to buy Diamond and Pearl...never played them. Sad, I know xDD

I started rewatching the show (which I really didn't like. I missed a whole series - Battle Frontier. And I missed a lot of stuff. It was too new and weird.), and eventually I started liking Pokemon again. My mom was mad, saying I was too old for Pokemon, sparking a lot of fights between her and I xDD

I kept it secret, feeling very strange liking Pokemon, and I didn't tell my friends until I figured out they liked it.

I joined The PokeCommunity Forums shortly for the Pokeshipping Club (xD), and then stopped coming.

I tried replaying Pokemon from the old games - starting with Silver, the oldest game I had next to my Gold, which was dead :<

Eventually I started replaying the newer games...I felt weird about talking about it...but one day, I decided to bring my GameBoy Advance to school and play Pokemon...and I could care less :) Someone was like "What are you playing?" and I stated it loud and proud: "POKEMON! ^_^" xDD

And now I has Platinum. And I loves it. Very. Very. Much. :o And I love trading. So ya. Find mai trade thread and bump it/trade with me :o xDD And I shall battle when I make mai team...IN DA FUTURE 8O

And actually, my mom doesn't bother me about Pokemon anymore. She used to fight with me, yeah, but now she seems to encourage it. So I'm happy ^_^ (actually, she's been encouraging me about a ot of things that she discouraged me about before...odd, no?)

So, to finally answer the question - I don't hide it. I love Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it.

I've been wanting to say all this. Yay I finally got the chance xDD

[/end rant] :D

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It really is ashame that some parents can't just let their kids play the games or simply watch the show because they think we're too old. I mean would they rather us go out there all the time and start getting into the wrong things, such as some of you stated cigarettes, or even worse. I think it sad that some of us have to keep a secret of what we like from family...that just isn't right to me. Parents, especially parents are supposed to support the right things we do in life, not try to say "Oh, you're too old for this!" Some of the smartest people out there are those who stick to what they like rather than listening to the bad talk other have to say about them.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    You know what, who really cares! As long as your having fun and have found something you like, Who cares. Those people that are too busy critisizing those who like it are the ones who should be made fun of. You're the one who's found a hobby that doesn't harm anyone, whereas those who are making fun of you waste their frickin time making someone else feel bad. Screw them! They need to get a life, is what they need to do. Plus, those who are making fun of you are probaably hiding something that's considered embarrassing too. And to those who let those who like Pokemon be, I salute you.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    You know what, who really cares! As long as your having fun and have found something you like, Who cares. Those people that are too busy critisizing those who like it are the ones who should be made fun of. You're the one who's found a hobby that doesn't harm anyone, whereas those who are making fun of you waste their frickin time making someone else feel bad. Screw them! They need to get a life, is what they need to do. Plus, those who are making fun of you are probaably hiding something that's considered embarrassing too. And to those who let those who like Pokemon be, I salute you.

Now that...is a great piece of advice. Nice reply to this indeed. xD

Years
    I definitely don't advertise it. When I'm talking with my friends and Pokémon comes up, I'll usually mention how I used to be a big Pokémon fanatic and how I sometimes still play the games, but that's as far as it goes. And, honestly, that was pretty much the truth; I was like most people in that I started off as a fanatic when it first came out, then when I went through middle school I pretty much hated it and thought it was stupid. Recently I've developed more of an appreciation for it and I've gotten back into it for nostalgic purposes.

My family all know I still play the games and they don't care. My little brother enjoys it because he still plays the games all the time and I help him out. ;)

Years
    • FL
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    It seems like everybody has a Pokemon Cycle.

Yay Pokemon! --> Pokemon is for babies! --> Yay Pokemon again!

Happened to me as well. My hiatus from Pokemon lasted quite long, almost 4 years. I did not know which Pokemon were in 4th Generation, let alone that there was a 4th Generation. One day I happened to overlook my friend battling in D/P, and I was hooked again.

LugiaFreak

Years
    At my school, I kept the fact that I liked Pokemon to myself from everyone except my friends. There was a kid who said he did and got completely destroyed by some other kids. They made fun of him and laughed at him behind his back.

...I don't want that happening to me. O_O;;

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Nostalgia is the hook that reels you right back in. Thats how I started again. I love the games and cards, and im going to be 21. Lol. But who cares? If people ask me if I like it, I say yes. Who cares what people think about that type of stuff? Im actually fairly popular with my social group, and I think its because I dont care about petty stuff like that.

Some people may think you are strange... but most people admire someone who can be themselves. NERD ON!

zerwey

:3
    Years
    At my school, I kept the fact that I liked Pokemon to myself from everyone except my friends. There was a kid who said he did and got completely destroyed by some other kids. They made fun of him and laughed at him behind his back.

...I don't want that happening to me. O_O;;

Nobody wants that happening, so that's why I don't let anyone know, unless they like Pokemon as well, or if they're good friends.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Yah we all did go thru that cycle didn't we. When Pokemon first came out, and I was at age 4 or 5, I was hooked. Pokemon was my life(although I didn't play the games,I watched the TV series. Couldn't afford a Gameboy at the time, so can you blame me?) I eventually started to lose interest at age 9. I just thought it was okay, never thoiught it was gay or anything like that. Then when I was 14( 1 year ago) I found the game and started playing( The first game I got was silver. Played it day in and day out back then) and what can I say, I still love it to this day.

Ayselipera

I have always loved pokemon and I remember when I was little and I used to watch the show all the time. Even though I absolutly love pokemon and all the games I find its easier to just not tell anyone. Other people immediatly assume its a geeky kiddy game. Its just better to love it and keep it to yourself. But hey, if you want to flaunt it go for it!

Years
    I definitely don't advertise it. When I'm talking with my friends and Pokémon comes up, I'll usually mention how I used to be a big Pokémon fanatic and how I sometimes still play the games, but that's as far as it goes. And, honestly, that was pretty much the truth; I was like most people in that I started off as a fanatic when it first came out, then when I went through middle school I pretty much hated it and thought it was stupid. Recently I've developed more of an appreciation for it and I've gotten back into it for nostalgic purposes.

My family all know I still play the games and they don't care. My little brother enjoys it because he still plays the games all the time and I help him out. ;)

Ironically, the day I posted this my roomie came in while I was playing...he was disgusted, but only because I was playing Emerald and not one of the G1 or G2 games. XD I suppose we're all 90's children, so we all were into Pokémon at some point or another. Some of us think it's lame, others still think it's cool.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Only my friends. Anybody else I never really bring it up to. Seriously, anybody start a conversation with someone "Hi my name is Jack, and I lurv pokemon!"

Back