• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Liking Pokemon something You should hide

Nemaru

nah
Years
  • People make judgements about you, sure you get made fun of and whatnot, but who cares? After a couple minutes they get bored and move on. I don't go around yelling and screaming it to the world, but if someone asks me for whatever reason, I wouldn't deny it. You like what you like, there's no reason to hide it. People need to grow a pair and just admit it, it's not a big deal. Back in middle school I used to hide it, and in 9th grade I just gave up and didn't really care anymore.

My family actually doesn't resent me for liking Pokemon, they actually support me for not following the "crowd"; my friends like sports, T.V. and Halo 3/Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Now, I do all of those things also, but I like MMORPGs, Pokemon, Sword fighting, Archery, skateboarding, and a ton of stuff my friends don't, too. Don't hide what you like, stand up for yourself. In a nutshell, Pokemon isn't something you should hide, neither is anything else you like.

Ŧøry vs. M£A†¥³

It's nice like Icicle Spears!
    Years
  • Many people like it in my high school. I hear people talk about Pokemon everyday when it is not even on my mind. It is nothing to hide. I don't want to hide something that is the second highest selling game franchise in the world. Many people will talk junk to you about many things anyway. I also here people say, "Halo? That game is so lame." But I think it is okay in my opinion.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    People make judgements about you, sure you get made fun of and whatnot, but who cares? After a couple minutes they get bored and move on. I don't go around yelling and screaming it to the world, but if someone asks me for whatever reason, I wouldn't deny it. You like what you like, there's no reason to hide it. People need to grow a pair and just admit it, it's not a big deal. Back in middle school I used to hide it, and in 9th grade I just gave up and didn't really care anymore.

My family actually doesn't resent me for liking Pokemon, they actually support me for not following the "crowd"; my friends like sports, T.V. and Halo 3/Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Now, I do all of those things also, but I like MMORPGs, Pokemon, Sword fighting, Archery, skateboarding, and a ton of stuff my friends don't, too. Don't hide what you like, stand up for yourself. In a nutshell, Pokemon isn't something you should hide, neither is anything else you like.

This is exactly what I said before (except in different wording) xD

With my parents, they say they rather have me be into Pokémon rather than going out in the streets smuggling drugs or anything of the such.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Really, I see no reason to hide it. Specially since I talk nothing to nobody in my school, it wouldn't even be noticed anyways.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • I can imagine where a few of you being embarrassed about playing and talking pokemon, seeing that most of you are in high school. and high school is all about reputation and looking cool.

If people ask what im playing on my DS, i say pokemon. Nothing to be ashamed of. And if people are going to judge you on what you're playing as a hobby, then to hell with them. There's more to people than what you play on the DS, and if people are too blind to see that, then they aren't worth talking to

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I don't bring it up out of no where for sure like some of you are saying. But if someone mentions it i have no problem saying i like it

Vail

wah
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2014
    Some of you are acting like Pokemon comes up in conversation all the time. That's never been an issue for me, since I've never played with my DS in public, or have done anything related to Pokemon outside the comfort of my home.

I mean, it's cool that you're secure enough with yourself to admit that you still like Pokemon, but it should be a guilty pleasure for people past a certain age. How much of a defining factor is Pokemon in your life, that you'd need to express it publicly?

As far as people's reactions go...Maybe people are giving you weird looks because you're sitting in the middle of the courtyard playing a video game only complex enough to stump a 9 year old? Because that's what Pokemon is...a pastime for children.

I can imagine where a few of you being embarrassed about playing and talking pokemon, seeing that most of you are in high school. and high school is all about reputation and looking cool.

I still care about my reputation. It's just less prominent in college because there are a lot of people and you can blend in easier. But if I saw someone playing pokemon in lecture, I'd be like, "Homie, come on. We're about to join the work force." We just control ourselves, and wait until we are in the privacy of our homes.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, I don't hide it, and my family is okay with it, I guess they're open to that kinda thing...Suppose I lucked out. But, yeah. Unless you are playing with a younger fan, Pokemon is generally not an icebreaker. It's kinda come up for me more since one of my friends at church got Crystal on his cell phone, but it is definitely more nostalgia than anything else. A few of my friends have been "out of the loop" for quite some time, because his parents look down on it for the supposed magic and violence and (perhaps) "cockfighting" factors, and yet he still has Brawl, enjoys Kingdom Hearts, Twilight Princess, and X-Men. O.o Illogic, but I haven't exactly had an in-depth discussion with them, so I don't know their reasoning...

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • well I'm just asking this question cuz most school in other countries has to go to middle school then high school but in my country after you're elementary it's straight to high school and I'm going to a new school I'm actualy thinking of bringing my DS and carrying a pokemon bag at school I don't hide liking pokemon I really don't care what people think I oftenly Like it when people consider me as a geek for liking pokemon but my mom and dad always tell me "stop playing that game you're starting to look like a pokemon" or " It's always about pokemon it's better if you just grow up" but i don't care

K-K-Slider

SQUIRTLE!
    Years
  • Eh. I don't go out of my way to hide it. In fact, I even bring my DS to school and play it during my down-time. When people try and make fun of me, I bring up the fact that about two years ago they called everyone who played WoW a nerd, and now they themselves are playing it. Then they usually get unnessicarily aggresively defensive, and come up with terrible half-witted excuses about how WoW isn't nerdy anymore.

Plus, it actually stems some interesting conversations with chicks! =P

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I play pokemon everyone in my family now and everyone at school know i honestly dont care i tell all my friends u guys are friends with me not something im going to pretend to be so. thats what i think and im 16 lol so trust me ohh and my sister bf is 21 and he plays pokemon so its lol just play what u like lol

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    No, it's nothing to hide. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Hell, I have a Pokémon jacket that I always wear, so everyone around me knows I love Pokémon. Since I am tired and don't want to give a long, strenuous answer, let's give you a short answer: No.​

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • No it's not a big deal to keep it hush hush, but reputation isn't something a person should always have to worry about. If everyone worried about what others think of them and how other view them and their reputation in life, then we'd all be stuck up people who try to be perfect...When there's tiny little black secrets creeping in all of us. I agree, keeping Pokémon a secret from others isn't a big deal, but letting others know shouldn't be a problem to others, but of course there are those many who judge you because of it. xD
    I can't follow your logic. If it isn't a big deal, kids should have no problem going down the "safer" road (aka not giving them something to laugh about). And if you haven't noticed, reputation is a thing that most kids worry about most. They try to protect it.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • There's nothing to be afraid about.

If someone makes fun of Pokémon, then just ignore him/her. That, or just joke along with them.

I, foreone, am not afraid of telling everyone that I like Pokémon. At least now my friends know what I'm doing in the weekends. XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I got a few friends I know they like games like pokémon. But i'm 19 so no one talks about it at school, and it's not something people feel like talking about XD.
    Though, i haven't played the games for a little while now (some months), I still think i'll get platinum when it's out (living in europe sucks).

Oh, one of my cousins likes to play pkmn so when i got to help him, i got an excuse to play pkmn :p

and for my parents, they don't realy know what games i play, they only know i play to much games :s

Lipton106

Proud member of Team Rocket
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2010
    No, its nothing to hide=)
    A few of my friends play it as well.. Its a great series and we grew up with it.

Its a game for all ages=D and one of the best on handheld.

Lyvee

Galactic Entity
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2009
    Hmmm.....Well I don't think Pokemon is something that someone should be ashamed of admitting they like, I think everyone needs something childish and fun to escape to. ^_^

I found myself completely shocked the other day when my best friend, the person I least expected to like Pokemon, recognized Piplup and told me about how she thought Pokemon was great!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I dont think you should hide it. I mean lots of people like certain types of things, Im 17 and I still like to play pokemon, if it comes up in conversation I would say i play it! Its one of the only games Im good at. Plus some of my friends play it, and my friends who dont really dont care if I do or not.

As for my family, they really dont care. Im almost an adult and can play what I want especailly if I choose to spend my money and time on it. My brother is 9 and plays so sometimes we battle. But I dont really play as much any more maybe twice a week, its just s game and its something to do when you are bored.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Don't hide it...Everyone has the right to their own opinion...I mean I'm 20 and I still like it...I have friends who like it...No one has the right to tell you what not to like...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    No, not pokémon. Everybody in my age knows what it is, and I'm not the pokemaniac I used to be ^^

Going to pokémon forums is something I hide though XD

Back