• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon becoming really girly?

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Pokémon is still aimed at both genders, that's what i think. But i do agree (kind of) that it's starting to become "more girly", but that doesn't really matter right? It can still be aimed at both genders.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    OH NOES! not gurlzz! tehere, r moer pink frillz an dawn wheres a dress adn jigglypuff maek me teh gay!!

you're just getting older while pokemon stays the same

When something is immature, it makes it "girly"...?

Y'know, this thread is quite insulting. Not only is it saying that you can't like the Pokemon that are "girly" (which is just a social construct, anyway...pink used to be a "boys" colour a long time ago.) but also that "girly" is just bad. :/

Pokemon has always been advertised as something for boys, though, but I think there's something for everyone to like about it. They're not all huge, ugly monsters and they're not all cute, pink, frilly little creatures.

For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.

"Loving and caring" has always been there. It's girly to be kind...? Because, really, that's all they're being: kind. Friendly. Girly!? It's not even as though they're like "I love you, Pikachu lalalala" or have romance stories all the time.

Why is it wrong for contests to be just as important as gym battles? Wait, because it's "girly", right...? Because it's the girl that takes the lead, rather than the boy? I find that the contest battles are just as good as any other type of battle and needs just as much, if not, MORE strategy than gym battles. They not only have to battle but have to make them look good by using combinations and try using the other person's attacks to their advantage (which is the same as gym battles, no?) while dealing with the pressure of hundreds of people watching you. I'm not saying you have to like contests, but you can't see the strategy in them?

Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..

Manaphy was just boring. May was the lead character, but that's nothing to do with it being boring. I REALLY don't understand how you see the 10th one as being girly. It had loads of battles, which is "manly", right? Oh wait, they had tears in their eyes at the end. Obviously, this film is for girls.

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.

Ok ive finally got that off my chest.
    Thanks

There have always been "girly" Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Clefairy blah blah blah y'know. I do not see your point that the 4th gen Pokemon is girly. Or even the majority. I see most Pokemon as being liked by both boys and girls. Boys are allowed to like cute Pokemon and girls are allowed to like strong Pokemon. lol. Maybe you're just noticing that Pokemon is trying to appeal to both sexes more than it used to, such as contests being taken part in my the lead girl character, rather than the only girl character doing nothing.

LaurenLOVESTONED

StrawberryFieldsForever
    Years
    OH NOES! not gurlzz! tehere, r moer pink frillz an dawn wheres a dress adn jigglypuff maek me teh gay!!

When something is immature, it makes it "girly"...?

Y'know, this thread is quite insulting. Not only is it saying that you can't like the Pokemon that are "girly" (which is just a social construct, anyway...pink used to be a "boys" colour a long time ago.) but also that "girly" is just bad. :/

Pokemon has always been advertised as something for boys, though, but I think there's something for everyone to like about it. They're not all huge, ugly monsters and they're not all cute, pink, frilly little creatures.

"Loving and caring" has always been there. It's girly to be kind...? Because, really, that's all they're being: kind. Friendly. Girly!? It's not even as though they're like "I love you, Pikachu lalalala" or have romance stories all the time.

Why is it wrong for contests to be just as important as gym battles? Wait, because it's "girly", right...? Because it's the girl that takes the lead, rather than the boy? I find that the contest battles are just as good as any other type of battle and needs just as much, if not, MORE strategy than gym battles. They not only have to battle but have to make them look good by using combinations and try using the other person's attacks to their advantage (which is the same as gym battles, no?) while dealing with the pressure of hundreds of people watching you. I'm not saying you have to like contests, but you can't see the strategy in them?

Manaphy was just boring. May was the lead character, but that's nothing to do with it being boring. I REALLY don't understand how you see the 10th one as being girly. It had loads of battles, which is "manly", right? Oh wait, they had tears in their eyes at the end. Obviously, this film is for girls.

There have always been "girly" Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Clefairy blah blah blah y'know. I do not see your point that the 4th gen Pokemon is girly. Or even the majority. I see most Pokemon as being liked by both boys and girls. Boys are allowed to like cute Pokemon and girls are allowed to like strong Pokemon. lol. Maybe you're just noticing that Pokemon is trying to appeal to both sexes more than it used to, such as contests being taken part in my the lead girl character, rather than the only girl character doing nothing.

amen sister. as i said to my friend after showing him this thread:
    "sexist much? because being feminine is the worst thing that can happen to anyone ever. oh noes i is girl-like NOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH"

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I don't think its girly, the love and respect part is a staple in childrens programming. In the anime its just the characters around Ash that do. May was such a bad charcter that it made me stop watching the show, Max was horrible to. How I hated those two.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    Its not becoming "Girly", its not even becoming "Feminine" (The politically correct term for girly).

Pokemon have always been cute little guys.
    but there are still some scary ones.
    -Points to heatran-
    Definitely not FEMININE

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    amen sister. as i said to my friend after showing him this thread:
    "sexist much? because being feminine is the worst thing that can happen to anyone ever. oh noes i is girl-like NOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH"

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so about this thread, haha

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
    Hell no...its not changing at all!

How is it girlish? Seriously, look at Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, Probopass, Tyranitar, Charizard.....Do i have to go on? Its not changing, the balance is perfect and you are just insane

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Im sorry. I dont agree. Yes, Nintendo has put in new elements to appeal to female players more, but they have a good reason for it. Go on to the GTS website and pull up any country's status report. Every country I've looked at has a 60 - 80% male players registered as opposed to 40 - 20% female players. Its not a bad thing either. Yes, originally Pokemon was designed for male players ages 7 - 13, but the actually players aren't usually that anyways. Most players are men and women in their teens and early 20's. Nintendo is just trying to make the game appeal to more players. It wont stay Gen I forever. When this game started it was guys trying to be trainers and nothing else, now its men and women being trainers, breeders, coordinators, and collectors. Just because you dont like some new features doesnt mean you get to make fun of them or people who like them, and certainly not use a sexist term like girly.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pokemon was once at least somewhat masculine at first (one example being the absence of a female protagonist in the games until Crystal). Given that it falls under the demographic of shonen, it quite obviously started out as something directed more at boys. Then, I think somewhere around the second generation, Nintendo and whoever else makes Pokemon probably realised that an equal if not larger amount of girls showed interest in Pokemon.

Pokemon is currently a unisex affair (as most things in this day and age are encouraged to be for the sake of political correctness), and no, the Pokemon themselves don't seem to be getting any cuter and cuddlier — they're just getting stranger as the company(s) try to come up with new ideas. Though I would say I've noticed how the colour tone of the Pokemon does seem to have lightened over time... (especially Jynx, lol for controversy).

You seem to be expecting pokemon to be masculine all the way to the core, and while I agree it started out pretty much like that, it has migrated to somewhere in between genders; but it doesn't make it 'girly' per se, just somewhat more femenine than it once was.

Also please refer to what sirboulevard has posted.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Not 'girly' at all.

However, the addition of Lopunny was a bad move. I mean...that thing needs a male counterpart, and doesn't need to look like that.

I like how there are female counterpart Pokemon, such as Gardevoir, Illumise, Nidoqueen, Miltank, and Wormadam. Stuff like that. I say it's been balanced through all generations.

How is it girlish? Seriously, look at Garchomp, Metagross, Salamence, Probopass, Tyranitar, Charizard.....Do i have to go on? Its not changing, the balance is perfect and you are just insane

I actually prefer those to be female. Gives that 'touch my babies, and you die!' kinda feel. You know...if you've hatched an egg from them...Gible babies for Garchomp. ^^

And every Tyranitar I snag in Colosseum...is female, although it is supposed to be a 50/50 chance of getting male or female.

Cerisse

Trainer and Anime Fangirl!
    Years
    Gurly??

Well, some Pokemon are cute and will most difintely appeal to the female audience but Pokemon isn't "girly". It's not like any Pokemons are gonna be getting their nails done and getting hair treatments and go shopping and going on fashion shows anytime soon! :cheeky:

.Socks

free yourself
    Years
    Well this thread is sort of offensive.

As was previously said, that's terrible if you think playing a slightly feminine game is the most terrible thing that will ever happen to you.

Anyway, I don't think Pokemon is all that feminine, Nintendo is just trying to appeal to both genders at this point.

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
    I dont watch the tv series anymore but I took a peak at the diamond/pearl series and even watched some of the newer movies like the one with Manaphy and to be honest I think pokemon is being directed at little girls now..
    It's always been aimed at children of ALL genders. God forbid they cater to all those female fans that were neglected during Generations I and II.
    For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.
    BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY, MEN AREN'T CAPABLE OF LOVE AND COMPASSION TOWARDS OTHER CREATURES ON THIS PLANET, AMMIRITE?

I like how they made contests important in the anime. Much better than seeing a main character from the games getting the shaft in favor of Satoshi (whose a worn-out verison of Red, in a sense).
    Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..
    You obviously haven't watched the 8th movie yet (BEST Pokemon film ever, period), because the Manaphy and the Dialga/Palkia/Darkai movies weren't that good in the first place.

Also, since when was every legendary Pokemon been portrayed as an unstoppable, petrifying force in the games? Some are fairly weak. Hell, even Celebi can get owned pretty easily in the games. Manaphy, in the movie, was just a NEWBORN, so it makes total sense. And when has the legendaries in the 10th movie been portrayed as helpless wussies that needed to be rescued? If anything, the TOWN was the only thing that needed rescuing.

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.
    Nice job comparing a Game Boy game with less graphical capabilities made in 1996 (the sprites were either BLACK, WHITE, RED, BLUE, OR YELLOW) to a 2008 DS game.

Pokemon was once at least somewhat masculine at first (one example being the absence of a female protagonist in the games until Crystal). Given that it falls under the demographic of shonen, it quite obviously started out as something directed more at boys. Then, I think somewhere around the second generation, Nintendo and whoever else makes Pokemon probably realised that an equal if not larger amount of girls showed interest in Pokemon.
    The original games intended to have a playable female character, but was scrapped because of limitations.

Pokemon is targeted towards both sexes - the sites that say otherwise are unofficial and are basing it off of the amount of action associated with this franchise.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    i doubt it is girly (i love pokemon) there is no girly stuff about it(not even the gba games or the shows or the cards or the kracks)

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Pokemon is made for both genders, but the stories are more and more boring. Ash is being a softie now, I liked the old Ash more. I don't really like contests, but would you like to watch gym battles for like all the main regions. Even the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier had similar battles. You will get really bored of Ash if there was not another character to watch compete.

Last edited:

skyterra

In Olivine city
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2008
    Because the anime is accountable for everything right?

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
    Pokemon is NOT being girly. It's because there's some young kids watching Pokemon. I dare to call you girly on the banned Pokemon episodes! Just look at the other animes. >.>

Back