• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon becoming really girly?

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
    I hate the anime stereotypes. What are the chances that both May & Dawn want to be coordinators, wear costumes and enter contests rather than being hardcore trainers? Just because they're girls? Ash is more girly than them!

That was a bit off topic, Sorry. :P

To be honest I never thought Pokémon was the most manly gaming series ever. Sure it's got a complex metagame but in the end it's aimed at children.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Well I know what Pokemon are becoming. Really ridiculous. xD Who in Swinub Land would love Purugly? O.O;

Actually.. its quite a popular Pokemon, in the games. XD; Quite a few people I've talked to on other forums have mentioned that they love it. I think mostly because it isn't that bad of a Pokemon, in terms of stats, but that's just a guess.. XD;;

That said, sexist comments like, "Its becoming/is girly" should really be purged; much like the Pokemon/Anti-Pokemon front. Though it could be true that they tried balancing Pokemon with Contets, to appeal more towards the female fan base, the fact of the matter is that Pokemon remains pretty neutral, in terms of who it appeals to. Like mentioned by others; be it elsewhere on the Internet or in this thread/forum, its more cut into "Generations" than gender, with Pokemon trying to get a bigger fan base by keeping First Generation fans in with the newer, Third and Fourth Generation fans.

That's with games, though; what they're doing with the Anime and Movies, I'll never know, because I've no interest in them.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Personally, I think Pokemon was originally intended to be like that, until Nintendo came into the picture. Now before you start to debate me, just know that I'm male and I'm a huge fan of NIS and Gust games (a majority of which were made for girls).

So onto the reason. Well, multiple reasons actually. First of all, you've got a bunch of male characters that are considered, as stated by many female fans, to be just plain adorable. You've got female characters that compete in these talent contests and a Pokemon verion of Westminster. Both of these things appeal to females, though I imagine the Westminster thing also appeals to males as well. Makes one wonder why there hasn't been a Pokemon Best in Show Fic yet.

Then there's the cuteness factor. Now, we know alot of guys have a soft spot for the little creatures, but females love things that are cute. Seriously, if you doubt me on this, show them your Pokemon plushie or beanie baby collection. Or better yet, show them your Tails plushie. Or even your cat. All of which are cute. Guaranteed 9 times out of 10, they'll love it.

I think that what happened is Game Freak probably thought of this and was originally going to market Pokemon to girls. But in what I'd consider to be a pretty smart move, they decided to just market it to kids in general when Nintendo bought the rights to the franchise. Which is really ironic when you consider that the Pokemon Anime still has the aforementioned appeal to it more than anything else (if not moreso now with the contests).

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
    I doubt Satoshi Tajiri's dream of "wanting children to experience the same thrill of collecting bugs" to only be aimed at girls.

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
    Years
    Pokemon is NOT being girly. It's because there's some young kids watching Pokemon. I dare to call you girly on the banned Pokemon episodes! Just look at the other animes. >.>
    Episode 18 was a bit too girly, if you know what I mean.

To all of you who think Pokémon is girly, let me introduce you to some Pokémon.

The scary part: the females look the exactly the same, except for Kricketune, which has a smaller mustache.

Back