• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon becoming really girly?

NitroZ3R0

Kanto's Hero
Years
  • I dont watch the tv series anymore but I took a peak at the diamond/pearl series and even watched some of the newer movies like the one with Manaphy and to be honest I think pokemon is being directed at little girls now..

For example all they talk about in the new series are things like being loving and caring towards pokemon and ive noticed battles have also been rarer, pokemon contests are apparently just as important as gym battles now too and all they do in those things is make pretty light shows with attacks that were ment for battling.

Don't even get me started on the movies they put out these days, the stories are pretty pathetic and I felt like going to sleep half way through the Manaphy one and Darkrai one.. its just embarrasing to watch. SERIOUSLY its like on the same level as a barbie movie or something with legendary pokemon thrown in as helpless babies that have to be rescued (arent they ment to be powerfull?)..

Another thing ive noticed is with the new generation of pokemon, mostly all of them are cuddly and soft looking which makes it hard to believe these things are suppost to fight. Even their colour schemes are very femenin and pale which is weird when you compare them to the older ones.

Ok ive finally got that off my chest.
    Thanks

LaurenLOVESTONED

StrawberryFieldsForever
    Years
  • uhm. no. i can't say i agree at all. the new pokemon being girly? they're all overly muscular, ugly sprites with darker colouring like yamna, weaville and magmortar for example, how are they at all feminine? i can guarantee you if you count of the 'girly' sprites and the non-girly ones, the muscular meathead like pokemon would pull some pretty high numbers as of the whole being 'loving and caring towards pokemon' which series or movie isn't about that? seriously, name one. they all involve being loyal, kind and respectful to pokemon. thats the idea!

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • In my opinion, Pokemon is neither boyish or girly. It isn't directed towards a specific sex. Pokemon is a TV show that aims for children / adults of all ages, and they must keep the shows that are being aired age-appropriate for the little ones. This will involve lessons being taught throughout the majority of the Pokemon episodes. The Manaphy movie just shows us the strong bonds that humans and other creatures can share with one another, and how hard it can be to make a desicion involving love. I highly disagree with the comment about the new Pokemon being more feminine than the previous ones. Take a look at Darkrai, Yanmega, Hippowdon, and Gliscor. They all look extremely fierce and strong, one quality that being "girly" would not usually have. I could possibly state more examples, but it appears as if I have already made my point.

Houndoom666

I like mah teem rite nowz. ^.^
    Years
  • Girly? Nah.
    But I do hate it when you have these people that are all like, "Ohh look he/she likes pokemon, That is a little kids show" and "That show is gay"
    Then u try to explain why its not and they just keep getting more and more people 2 agree with them. It gets sooo >:(

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Don't use "girls" as an insult! D:

I wouldn't say so because you see, it's supposed to be treating Pokemon nicely, as in doing the same to other people in our world? I mean if you think of Pokemon being all bloody and violent and stuff, it just would kill the whole thing. So if you are hoping for a more bloodier and violent Pokemon series, it probably won't happen. And besides it is targeted to children anyway.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Treating Pokemon nicely? That's been around since the first movie.

Also,
    Is Pokemon becoming really girly?

I dare you to call that girly.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I've never considered Pokemon girly or boyish. It's all just Pokemon to me. While Contest are sort of more geared towards girls, there are boys like Drew(and sometimes Ash) who participate in them.

Oh, there have always been cutish looking Pokemon (i.e. 2gen babies) but a majority o them look more masculine( i dare you to tell Giratina that it looks innocent and girly)

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
  • "Girly" is a matter of perspective. Some new pokemon definitely don't seem "girly" to me, and some kind of do. It's all a matter of perspective: personally, I think the series is reasonably gender-neutral.

#Gecko#

Alert: Tacos Rule
    Years
  • Pokemon girlish... Right... The only thing I agree with you is how boring the Manaphy movie was. But it wasn't girlish or guylish or anything like that.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • I have to agree something about pokemon has changed, I don't really see it as being more girly, i think "most" of the new pokemon are just annoyances that I know i'll have to run around and catch against my will.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the newer movies, the first Mewtwo ones were really fun to watch, even today, it was just "pretty" dark for pokemon and entertaining, the movie about Luga and the legendary birds was pretty good too.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Pokemon never seemed girly to me ever, but I have to say the cartoon series can be childish. lol

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • Well, obviously an angry group of soccer-moms with a twig shoved up their a-... *ahem* "bum"... sideways beeched at Nintendo for probably cartoon violence or something stupid like that. While Nintendo couldn't get rid of all the cartoon violence, they decided to make it less violent... or, in your words "girly".

Yes, I know... it is pretty dumb, but what else can you do but sit back and watch xD

(btw, this probably isn't what happened. Just something that seems pretty logical to me.)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yes, because girls are interested in mass destruction and huge battles between magicals beasts. Not saying they aren't, I just think that it appeals to both sexes, not just girls. Actually, I'd say more boys liked it when it first came out.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I would disagree also and say it is aimed at both genders. I agree, I don't watch the anime any more because I find some of the stuff in it to be cringeworthy, frankly. Which is why I like to differenciate the show from the games. If you told somebody you liked Pokemon, would they or would they not instantly presume you mean the TV show?

Unlike when I was younger, the games no longer appeal me because "ZAMG IZ POGEYMANS MUST BUY", it's the mental thought and the like that goes into training and battling competitively. The show just seems to be girly because the show is aimed at small children, and some of the stuff would appeal to you if you were that age.

As for cuddly and soft Pokémon, they have to implement cute Pokemon and tough-looking Pokémon for that specific reason: both genders. Girls will like the cute Pokémon such as Piplup and the likes, whereas the boys will see Garchomp and think: WOOOOOOOOW.

AutumnLeafeon

Me and my Leafeon...
    Years
  • I don't think its pointed at a certain sex because lots of my friends that are girls still watch/play pokemon

Back