• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon Go a fad, ultimately?

Guest123_x1

I think eventually, just like back in the late 1990s and early 2000s with the TCG and the main series games, that this craze with Pokémon GO will settle down eventually, though it might take a couple of years to do so. Nearly every major media franchise goes through this.

I don't know if I'll ever get GO for myself, since I don't have a smartphone, and I'm not about to download it to my mom's phone either. Then again, I wasn't too fond of Pokémon when it first hit the States back in '98, and only got into it when my aunt convinced me that I would like Pokémon Yellow, which I got for Christmas at the very end of the 1990s.

Years
  • I personally won't consider playing GO for now since I don't have a smartphone but since it's creating popularity levels not seen since PokeMania, I feel GO might be a fad but likely won't die out as heavily.

Years
  • there are good arguments for it being a fad, but literally everyone looking at their phone is playing this game. dare I say this level of popularity has been unprecedented for a mobile game, maybe even for any type of game.

as cliche as it sounds, only time will tell.

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • Yes. This isn't a debate. Over time, less people will play the game, until it fades away. A better game, a new fad, developer's moving on, so many things can happen but the inevitable thing will.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Pokemon Go came out because there was still significant interest in the pokemon games, the last main series games x and y sold almost 15mil units including 4mil in the first weekend. Most of the current players of Go will not continue for too long but there will still be a considerable amount of players that will invest their time into this in the long term

Years
  • If Pokemon Go follows the lead of other Pokemon merchandise that has been a huge success for many decades I don't see this as a fad. Of course the game will have to evolve and improve over time or it will fade, but if they keep it fresh I think it is here to stay.

Years
  • I'm one of those that thin that if they continue to upgrade and more of that and it will stay alive although facts show that it is slowly declining. But when trade comes and if trainer battles come with an improvement on battling then the game will survive longer I think those 2 things are the most important. And since nobody has collected all 151 obviously the second gen which ultimately will revive the flavor and if they fix the spawns of the usuals >.> Zubats, Pidgeys and those kind.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • A report on Survey Monkey indicates that the number of daily users has decreased down since the games initial release, so I think that says something.
    Spoiler:

The report says the game's peak was on July 14 when it had 25 million daily users,then one week later that number drops to roughly 20 million. Not really a significant decrease, but the daily users have drop a bit already, so that really implies something. For now I'm gonna say that it definitely may be a fad, but we'll see how it plays out. The Survey Monkey report implies a good amount of the causal players and bandwagoners have already lost interest.If they keep updating it with useful features and fix the bugs, it will likely remain popular for the next several months to a year. Then the number of active users will die down and soon only loyal fans will keep playing it 2 or 3 years from now. I really hope it's not just a summer fad though. I want to be to make friends with this game when school starts again. It's been really helpful with making me socialize more.

Back