• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Profesor Oak a homage to Future Gohan?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    Don't get me wrong, i like Prof. Oak, but everytime i see his hairstyle it reminds me of Gohan, so Did mr. Satoshi was a fan of Dragon Ball?

For those who not know, FGohan apeared in 1992, the first pokemon games were released in 1995/1996

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
    That might be because he has the same amount of wisdom as Gohan just on different things it is a little farfetch'd (pun intended) but that is not confirmed since I don't know anyone who has asked him

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    Never made the connection. However Ash's hair resembles Goku's hair. So I give you that.

I don't want to offtopic on my topic but it's true, Satoshi IS Kakarotto's copycat but Kakarotto on the other hand looks like Captain Tsubasa

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Anime characters resemble each other all the time, you know? It's nothing new. d: Maybe when artists design them, they look into other character drawings for inspiration?

Years
    Hmm... it is an interesting idea, but there's only so many ways that you can draw hair on a character, so some of them are bound to look the same once and a while. I can definitely see a couple of similarities between Ash and Goku though, both in appearance and personality.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Anime hair, man. Besides, Gohan's hair is way more spiky than Oak's. Japanese anime has this unique way of feeling that you've never seen this guy before, yet you think he's based on someone you've seen already.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2023
    If Oak and Gohan were connected, Akira Toriyama would be working on the anime, but he's not. He's currently the character designer for the Dragon Quest series, so the most a Gohan wannabe can do is squeeze into a suit of armor and chase monsters, swords ablaze.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    While we're talking about how some Pokémon characters resemble DBZ characters, one anon from /vp/ found this connection that's much more clever than Oak's homage to Future Gohan, and I wanted to post this here:

You are now aware that Iris is Goku's mother.

She has Raditz's hair, Goku's wild-boy nature and love of climbing around. She constantly calls Ash a 'little kid' because she hopes that one day he'll get pissed off and launch into a playful sparring match with her.

Her wears leggings under her skirt to hide her tail, partly to fit in and partly to prevent people or Pokémon from grabbing it.

It all makes sense now. o.o

Back