• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is quality all that important?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I'm talking about when you watch anime on the computer and stream it from youtube or something. Do you watch only certain anime based on the quality of the video itself? Will you refuse to watch something because the quality is a little lower than the standard you like? Or do you just not care about the quality at all, and only focus on the plot and the story of the anime, despite it being grainy as all hell. Just discuss your thoughts here. :)

What I think is that ever since I started getting into anime more and more, is that quality is just a nice touch. I have a terrible graphics card, so the quality will never be up to scratch anyway, but I would have to say I prefer watching an anime for a plot and story over watching one for the quality of the video itself.

Years
    I mostly don't mind bad video quality, a little pixelation, a little bit of graininess, but I can't stand bad audio. If the audio's bad I don't care if the video is 1080p or whatever. I just won't watch it because it's too jarring.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Of course quality is important, I always try for 720p at least on new series and the best possible for older ones.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    If I'm watching it online, quality isn't that important as long as I can tell what's going on. I do want the video to be of a decent quality if I'm saving it on my computer, so if I'm downloading I'll go for the fansubber's releases instead of downloading it off a separate video hosting site that may or may not degrade the quality.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    If I can find decent HD, I'll watch it, but if not, I settle for standard quality. I really can't stand sub par quality and any sort of pixelation just bugs the heck out of me. This is especially true with older anime since you usually get VHS or Laserdisc rips for a lot of them, but thankfully there are some pretty decent HD releases these days.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    If I can find decent HD, I'll watch it, but if not, I settle for standard quality. I really can't stand sub par quality and any sort of pixelation just bugs the heck out of me. This is especially true with older anime since you usually get VHS or Laserdisc rips for a lot of them, but thankfully there are some pretty decent HD releases these days.

^Why I've yet to watch Gundam Wing despite wanting to. -.-;

I don't need to watch it in 720p, but I tend to project my anime from my computer onto my 40" flatscreen with an HDMI cord, so it makes a difference then. If the quality is too bad, I watch it on my computer though.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I never cared when I first got into the downloading anime scene, and then I slowly started to. Anything less than 720p (unless it was scaled up badly), I wouldn't touch. For some series, I'd even spring on the 1080p releases. But lately, I'm too lazy to download anime so I've been streaming it, when I can. Usually my connection isn't good enough to stream in high quality even when it's available, so I've gotten used to 480p or worse and it's not bad. I'm usually multitasking when I watch anime anyway, so going for the highest quality would be pointless anyway.

I also stopped downloading when I had to start watching my bandwidth. :P I literally have to pay for it now when I want to grab the best releases, so I settle for streaming low/mid quality instead.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Standard 480p on youtube is about the minimum that I can stand. HD really does make it a lot better, but downloading is less convenient, so I generally watch on youtube if it's available.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I usually just download whatever I want to watch, and after just delete it. I can't stand searching all over for a place that streams it. I don't mind youtube sometimes, but if it's horrible quality then I'll just find a download.

Years
    Quality is vital if it's really really bad, but otherwise I'm okay if it's an anime I really enjoy. But I'm patient enough to wait for good quality video to come out, very patient and never in a hurry.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    ^Why I've yet to watch Gundam Wing despite wanting to. -.-;

I don't need to watch it in 720p, but I tend to project my anime from my computer onto my 40" flatscreen with an HDMI cord, so it makes a difference then. If the quality is too bad, I watch it on my computer though.

Remastered DVD rips have been done by OZC for like two years now, man.

Unless all you watch is super popular stuff, sometimes you don't have much choice in the quality of what you find, unless you're lucky enough to find rips of old shows and OVAs in hand-animated blu-ray quality - which looks just as nice as modern digital animation if not better due to the additional detail of the traditional ink and paint process you can see on blu-ray transfers.

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
    Years
    I don't really mind quality all that much since I grew up on blurry fansubbed VHS anime. However, I really hate bad audio. If there's multiple sound jumps (such as some words being louder than others), I cannot continue watching.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Of course quality is important, I always try for 720p at least on new series and the best possible for older ones.
    This. It might be a bit heard for me to watch older anime since the quality, and that's what bugs me. Even tho I want to watch older anime, I really can't because I'm picky D:

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    Seeing as I have a rather limited download capacity and speed, I always have to settle with no more than 720p, which is good, by the way. But I never really cared much. As long the audio isn't out-of-sync nor the voicing is weird, I will watch any anime with a mediocre standard quality (it should be at least watchable, though: no spontaneous or surprise interruptions, perpetual pixel distortion, or black fade screens throughout).

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    Yes. The quality makes or breaks the series for me~ the only anime that I can stand are Trigun, Beyblade season 1, and Shinzo. Everything else... oh boy... -_-

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Quality can either make or ruin a show for me. I like to go back and watch older Anime's that I grew up watching, but I usually don't because the quality is so low.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    I grew up with old anime, so I really don't mind the quality of whatever I watch these days. Sure, 720p and such is pleasing, but I don't care for it all too much. On the other hand, if the audio quality is terrible, then I would most likely get put off. I can't stand bad sound quality.
    Oh, and also when the sound isn't synced all that well.
    But yeah, with picture quality, I'm pretty alright with it.

Back