• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is technology ruining society?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    When I read that, 2 thoughts went through my mind:
    1) Well damn, I just barely dodged a bullet there since i just turned 22 less than a week ago
    2) I'ma so old ;_;

But in all seriousness, I don't think that there's anything wrong with technology itself. Stupid and lazy people have existed since the beginning of humanity, so it's not like all out fancy gadgets have suddenly made us all dumbasses. Last I checked there were still some intelligent people in the world. It's just more visible these days; information travels a million times faster than it did a century ago. Perhaps it's just that technology is outpacing the speed at which humans are willing to adapt and change (which is pretty slow if you ask me)?

Also, does anyone else find it a bit ironic (or whatever the correct word would be) that we're having a discussion about whether or not technology is ruining society but are using said technology to have the discussion?

Yeah, I find it kind of ironic. It's society's hypocrisy again, I believe. It's always willing to use whatever it has available until it's tired of other people using it in a way they don't like, so it flips out and blames the very thing they themselves use rather than other people.

Years
    I so hate this topic and this video.

First, this guy is a HUGE hypocrite. Why would you link your Twitter, website and ask for people to subscribe if you want them to stop being "chained" by the phone/internet/PC? If you think people are becoming lazy and stupid and want to make a point, STOP USING THE SAME MACHINES YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT. Try to change it. But no, that's too hard. Because I'm sure he made this "deep and meaningful" video/poem just for people to notice his work. But he is only going to be one of thos one-hit wonders with that video.

The video extremely exaggerated. When I go out it's filled with kids, screaming, running and playing. But he once saw a empty playground and made the conclusion that it's always empty.
    Fake friends? I am pretty sure that even here people have made friends online and have met them in real life. Many people have met their boyfriends/girlfriends/wives and husbands online. The internet gave a great opportunity to those people.

I feel like some people think that the internet/mobile phone/pc are the first things in humanitys history that made life somehow easier. Because the wheel didn't exist up until 1990.
    People have always evolved and tried to advance in pretty much everything. What do they want to happen? Just stop evolving? Try to give a person from the 1800s a smart phone. Yeah, they won't know how to use it. It's not that easy using todays technologies, you need some brain power. If it was so easy and it's dumbing down people why is there the job IT. Where most of it's problems are solved by "Did you try to turn on/off the machine?". I'm pretty sure that people in their twenties now are at least two times smarter than people who were in their twenties 20-30 years ago.

He acts like when he was younger kids didn't just waste days infront of their consoles or watch TV the whole day. There will always be stupid and lazy people.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I think the real question we should be asking is this: Is technology advancing too fast? Technology today has helped providing us easier ways to send letters, talk to people from faraway distances, and organize schedules. However, as pointed out by the Human Centipad episode of South Park, our technology is advancing at a pace faster than how we normally adapt, thus not giving us enough time to appreciate the current technology we have now, resulting an increased number of luddites.

Back