• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a FireRed/Kanto Journey with a lot of new pokemon but keeps the story & gameplay of the original?

Years
    • She/Hers
    • Seen Nov 10, 2022
    Hi! I'm really new to ROM hacks and I am so excited to start playing all of these incredible games. I've got a couple hours in Unbound and I love it so much already. Everything is so well thought out and the QOL updates are just next level. The music, the story - EVERYTHING! This is literally everything I've always wanted from a Pokemon game. I started Saffron, Gaia & Glazed and I like them a lot so far too. I can't wait to get further in those games and experience them :)

The work that goes into these games is absolutely incredible and I want to set out on my own journey to play 'em all!

I wanted to start off a play through with each of the generations to remember the story, but be able to have newer pokemon in them & maybe even randomized encounters. I don't want any extra features other than an expanded dex. Is there a hack like that? I've been looking but from what I can tell, most of the hacks include new mechanics like dynamaxing, added features or expanded stories. I'm just trying to find something with minimal impact on the story with just a larger dex so I can play with newer pokemon.

If there's nothing like that then I guess randomizing an original game is where I'll start :)

Thank you in advance!! And I'm down to hear any recommendations for any hacks to play! I have a huge list already compiled and I'm looking to add more!!

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • While it's not a ROM Hack, and I'm not sure how many Pokémon it has but:

Pokémon Zero is a FRLG port/remake to Pokémon Essentials.
    It has alot of QoL improvements, and has the Alolan forms of Kanto Pokémon as well. I highly reccomend trying it out!

Years
  • There's a lot. My personal favorite is Pokémon Red++ but if we're talking about GBA hacks it would be FireRed Extended . Also there is Radical Red, I haven't played it yet but I know it's good quality.

If you want more enhanced romhacks, I recommend my favorites:

GSC: Polished Crystal.
    RSE: Genesis Emerald.
    DPPt: Renegade Platinum.
    B2W2: Blaze Black 2 Redux.

Back