• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there any differences when playing Pokemon in emulator vs. original version?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2016
    I'm currently using a emulator called GBA4iOS v2.1 on my iPhone so that I can play Pokemon Emerald on it. However, I kinda feel like this one isn't really the same feeling as how I used to play it back in the days with the Gameboy advanced. I was wondering if ROMs are usually edited to compatible with the device and so they change it up or what's up?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I'm currently using a emulator called GBA4iOS v2.1 on my iPhone so that I can play Pokemon Emerald on it. However, I kinda feel like this one isn't really the same feeling as how I used to play it back in the days with the Gameboy advanced. I was wondering if ROMs are usually edited to compatible with the device and so they change it up or what's up?

Thanks a bunch guys.

ROM's usually arent edited, Hacks are edited or new versions of the games. Some emulators come with built in cheat modes etc but they are optional so playing it on your phone should be identical to the original.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • Me too, have been using GBA4iOS in iPAd with Jailbreak. It felt like I was a kid again.

Is there any differences when playing Pokemon in emulator vs. original version?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I'm a great fan of emerald and I didn't seen any difference.

Of course, there's the nostalgia factor, but there's no real technical difference

Years
  • It's like playing a PlayStation 2 game on a PlayStation 3. Newer system, but the game's still the same.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • A ROM is an identical copy of the original. The only time you'll see any substantial difference between a ROM and the original is when it's been hacked (in which case you'd have to have intentionally patched a un-modified ROM, since putting a modified ROM out for download is illegal).

One of the big disadvantages of ROMs is that you can't trade with other players, which will make it difficult or impossible to complete the Pokédex in most cases. Other than that though, ROMs have a few advantages over physical copies, such as save states, multiple save files, the ability to take screenshots, fast-forwarding, etc.

Years
  • Not in terms of the game-play, mostly. You're under less risk from glitches, etc., and hence can mess around with those more, which has generally been important in documenting the games. There's also for example a few features added, such as the ability to fast-forward through things - and if you don't have this in D/P/Pt it probably turns into The Ring and you don't survive five minutes - and so on. One might suggest that it's the canonical way to play the new Sun & Moon, as for instance with the region they come increasingly to terms with the digital realm of modern derisive internet jargon. It also doesn't allow for certain connections, for instance to most other players over wireless, which needn't be a problem for the earlier two games, and in general it does improve the game-play so far as they actually put it there, especially from R/S/E onwards, where they increasingly tended towards shallow filibuster.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    One of the big disadvantages of ROMs is that you can't trade with other players, which will make it difficult or impossible to complete the Pokédex in most cases. Other than that though, ROMs have a few advantages over physical copies, such as save states, multiple save files, the ability to take screenshots, fast-forwarding, etc.

One of my local Game employees said he could trade on Android if someone used the same emulator as him. I don't know if that's true though.

Therre's something about playing a ROM that feels less personal to me and I can't get as attached to the game, which demotivates me and I never end up finishing. I only use ROMs to play hacks. I'd probably use them more if I made YouTube videos since you can record gameplay easier.

Back