• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is wobbuffet rally uber

blazeape

Man......Its hot in here.
    Years
    I'm gettin tired of people not battaling me just becuse i have a wobbuffet on my team . Wobbuffet is good but it can still be demolished by taunt . any pokemon can be beat if you if you try hard enough

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I don't do much competitive battling, but Taunt isn't that great a counter for Wobbuffet. Firstly, it can just switch out if it so chooses, simply enough. And when it comes in on something without Taunt, you are unable to simply switch out to something with Taunt or Stat-up moves as Wobbuffet's Shadow Tag ability prevents switching out. That along with great HP and moves like Counter, Mirror Coat, Safeguard and Encore which ensures which type of move you will use... it nearly ensures that it will takes a Pokemon down with it at least, even if the Pokemon attacking it has great attack/sp. attack stats.

So it's not that easy to beat. Plus, if people expect to see certain Pokemon playing in a different tier (say, OU), than seeing an Uber Pokemon will make them want to leave as it is cheating, really - using a Pokemon that has been banned from that level. It is known all over as an Uber Pokemon so don't be surprised people may be hesitant to battle you if they want a non-uber battle.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    I'd say it'll take some cleaver prediction to get the better of Wobbuffet. But Wobbuffet is going to at least get rid of one Pokemon (Unless it is used against a Ghost or Dark type for some odd reason.)

Years
    I'd say it'll take some cleaver prediction to get the better of Wobbuffet. But Wobbuffet is going to at least get rid of one Pokemon (Unless it is used against a Ghost or Dark type for some odd reason.)

I have no idea how 'clever prediction' will help someone to defeat Wobbuffet. Anyone with a brain can use wobbuffet and win - all they have to do is use encore. If the pokemon is stuck using a non-damaging move, then you switch out and get a free set up with another pokemon. If it gets stuck using an attacking move, you use counter or mirror coat respectively. I would never use wobbuffet, because all you need to use it properly is at least half a brain - it takes no skill whatsoever. :P

Years
    (Unless it is used against a Ghost or Dark type for some odd reason.)

That would be because of Counter being a Fighting type move and Mirror Coat being a Psychic type move.

On that note, the textbook definition of a Pokemon Counter is a Pokemon who can safely switch in, and knock the other Pokemon out. Wobbuffet is nearly always guaranteed to bring at least one Pokemon down (like bobandbill said). The only true Counters to Wobbuffet are Sableye and Spiritomb. If everybody had to bring those one of those two just to deal with the threat of Wobbuffet, it would be metagame breaking. That is why Garchomp is banned (by Smogon).

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Like everyone said, Wobbuffet can at least always take down one Pokemon, and Encore can be very deadly with him, too.

Jumpluff

I make the Rules, You follow.
    Years
    Wobbuffet isn't strangly that good, I would like Wynaut better If he had Tackle and Wobbuffet was one of my favorites in the Anime but now It's getting boring with people using him in Wi-Fi.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    How the Hell does saying "but no pokemon is invincible" change the fact that wobby is uber? Wobby can switch out, but the other pokemon can't. Wobby can choose its attacks, but the other pokemon can't after encore. Using wobby makes the opponent pokemon completely ineffective if it can't OHKO him.

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
    Uber?
    Jessie sure never used Wobbuffet to it's full potential then.
    What a pity..
    If you want to solve this issue then don't use Wobbuffet.. it is that simple.

Edit ; It's move set and HP look like a kick in the butt, but if your fast enough and have Shadow Ball you should be fine.
    Just have to beat that Mirror Coat.
    If not, then it really is an uber.

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Well, if you still use it, people are going to still log out. >.> He is not invincible, he is just too strong in competitive play. lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Uber?
    Jessie sure never used Wobbuffet to it's full potential then.
    What a pity..
    If you want to solve this issue then don't use Wobbuffet.. it is that simple.

Edit ; It's move set and HP look like a kick in the butt, but if your fast enough and have Shadow Ball you should be fine.
    Just have to beat that Mirror Coat.
    If not, then it really is an uber.

Shadow Ball will not OHKO. Mirror Coat back=dead. The only "safe" Shadow Ball is if it was coming from a Dark type, which makes it immune to Psychic typed attacks.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    just get a physical ghost. Though wobb will ALWAYS take one done if the user knows how to battle and understands

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    Very simple explanation of why wobboffet is uber: Use toxic on opponent, switch to wobboffet, then encore. If you get stuck in an attack move, you get countered or mirror coated. If you get caught with a support move other than heal bell or aromatherapy, you're done right there. The only possible way to counter this is if several pokemon on your team had a shed shell or you happened to have a spiritomb or sableye, which is not practical at all.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't do much competitive battling, but Taunt isn't that great a counter for Wobbuffet. Firstly, it can just switch out if it so chooses, simply enough. And when it comes in on something without Taunt, you are unable to simply switch out to something with Taunt or Stat-up moves as Wobbuffet's Shadow Tag ability prevents switching out. That along with great HP and moves like Counter, Mirror Coat, Safeguard and Encore which ensures which type of move you will use... it nearly ensures that it will takes a Pokemon down with it at least, even if the Pokemon attacking it has great attack/sp. attack stats.

So it's not that easy to beat. Plus, if people expect to see certain Pokemon playing in a different tier (say, OU), than seeing an Uber Pokemon will make them want to leave as it is cheating, really - using a Pokemon that has been banned from that level. It is known all over as an Uber Pokemon so don't be surprised people may be hesitant to battle you if they want a non-uber battle.

This is probably the best answer in this thread.

In addition, i dont get why people bring up prediction with Wobby. That point is a moot and Encore makes it that way. Encore also makes it easy to get a 100% free set for another team mate combined with its ability, no other pokemon has the ability to grant that free of a set up, since you can simple switch out of any other pokemons encore, not wobby.

You have 5 options in a battle, your 4 attack moves and switch. Wobby nulls this to just one attack with encore and shadow tag. Something which other trappers dont do (Duggy and Zone), you at least get your 4 moves. In addition Duggy and Zone are limited to what they trap, wobby traps everything.

Honestly a good wobby user will always at the very LEAST take one poke down, since he or she can send it in whenever they like and eliminate one of your pokes for free pretty much and with the following 2 strategies : -

Jolly wob : - Lets see, this means what it says on the label. You give your wobby max speed thus makes every pokemon in the game under wobby's max speed (181) non-existant (which means most walls), which is pretty simple, you send it in on something that slow pokemon does aka stealth rock/Softboiled/Roost etc and then Encore it and proceed to drain that move of pp and struggle stall it to death ^____^, cheap and simple.

Tickle Wob : - Then there is also Tickle Wobby (event move) + CB Pursuit user. Again, send it in on something that is not a threat, Encore a move and then Tickle down the foe to -6 def and then you send in your Pursuit user and as the foe switches, Pursuit them as they switch out. Keep in mind that a CB Tyranitars for example, Pursuit does ~95% to standard skarmory who RESISTS the move, so i wish good luck to everything else lol. This strategy can be found here.

Also before people bring up some garbage no logic trash like "Its easy to ohko" (trust me, it alway seems to happen in these sort of threads) lolno, you could'nt be more wrong. Choice Band Tyranitar cant OHKO standard Wobby with Crunch (THE most powerful dark attack in ou, if not the game) nor can specs Gengar with Shadow Ball, which goes to show how much of a beating this thing can take.

Well i like wobbuffet and i will still youse it

And people will still continue to refuse to battle you then ? lol

>:

Last edited:

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Everyone said most of it...

But i'll put in my two cents...

It's also uber because it has only one thing that can stop it for sure.

A dark pokemon that uses special attacking dark/ghost moves...Dark pulse...Woo!

[/pointless post]

*Shot*

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    ^^This is true, but that is basically limited to Specs/mixed Tyranitar (rarely seen in ubers) and Houndoom (rarely seen anywhere).

just get a physical ghost. Though wobb will ALWAYS take one done if the user knows how to battle and understands

Irrelevant, since you CAN'T SWITCH OUT.

And there aren't that many worthwhile physical ghosts. Dusknoir and...anything else?

Back