• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is Yellow still considered one of the most difficult games?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
    Yep.

Playing Pokemon Yellow is a pain in the butt especially in Brock's Gym. Pikachu is a cancer for your team since it does not have many disadvantages in the game. In Brock's Gym, catch a Mankey, Nidorino, Butterfree/Beedrill, and Rattata. For Pikachu, just replace him with Jolteon.

Years
    Yep.

Playing Pokemon Yellow is a pain in the butt especially in Brock's Gym. Pikachu is a cancer for your team since it does not have many disadvantages in the game.
    Presumably you mean to say 'advantages' here?

If you don't like Pikachu, you might be better off with the other versions. Pikachu is rarely going to be that much of a problem, though, especially as they do learn evasion and paralysis moves. They are hardly likely to make things unworkable, unless the player makes them harder by themselves.

Years
    I started up Yellow again and decided to buy the Magikarp outside Cerulean Cave (I was interested to see its stats/obtained place after transferring to Pokemon Sun/Moon), so it was initially tough considering it only knew splash.

That being said, it's now a Gyarados, I'm about to face Misty and I know it's going to be a cakewalk.

Pokemon is just not a difficult RPG even if at some points it gets challenging - especially if you've played the likes of Shin Megami Tensei (now that's hard!)

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    Yellow was the most difficult for me. I am the kind of guy who raises just one pokemon, the starter one and i catch wild mons so that they could learn the HMs. I started doing this in silver(my first pokémon game) and continued in yellow(which i started after silver), and then emarald, and so on. So now, i think you can imagine the immmmense amount of my sufferings in the game. ;-( But since i had played silver before yellow, i knew about using double teams and tail whips which made defating Brock quite easy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    wouldnt say that the game was difficult, but it was inconvenient to play due to the primitive mechanics like having severely limited inventory space. things like gym leaders, E4, etc werent necessarily hard.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    I honestly don't find any Pokemon game difficult but I think Pokemon Yellow is up their with the easiest of them all.

I use the same 6 Pokemon every Pokemon Yellow Run through and I don't think I ever lost a battle once I get all the Pokemon above level 30.

Step 1.
    Catch a Mankey. Catching Mankey will ensure an easy Victory with Brock.
    Step 2.
    Collect the three starter Pokemon while completing the game.
    Step 3.
    The 6th Pokemon is optional I like using Diglett but that is just a personal preference.

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I found yellow to pretty easy if I'm honest.

To start with brock has been mentioned as a hard starting gym due to Pickachu as a starter. But you can get a Mankey with karate chop and then low kick pretty much straight away. Also Caterpie to Butterfree doesnt take long and then you have confusion.

The elite 4 were just the right level I think, with a strong team none of them were a challenge. Not even ghost (clefable with surf or thunder.)

The hardest part by far was filling the dex and that was purely because the grind was massive. But even this was made easier with yellow as you could obtain all the starters.

As far as exp goes Diglet's cave was good and then you could move to the abandoned mansion which was pretty much fire types only.

Also team:
    Nidoking (Thunder, Earthquake, Toxic, The one hit horn move)
    Clefable (Thunder, Surf, Psychic, Sing)
    Gengar(Hypnosis, Dream eater) live forever
    Mew(Mega punch, Earthquake, Minimise, Psychic)
    Dragonite(Surf, Hyper beam, Slam, thunder)
    Articuno(Fly, blizzard)

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Compared to the gen 6 games, almost any game could be hard.
    Not counting those though, they might be the hardest but not by much.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    I honestly don't find any Pokemon game difficult but I think Pokemon Yellow is up their with the easiest of them all.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I don't agree. As for my part, Yellow has been the most difficult game i've ever played because in those days, i was a kid and i used to raise only one pokemon(the starter one). So, you can imagine the amount of difficulty i suffered in defeating Brock or crossing the Mt. Moon..

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    Nope. Nope. Nope. I don't agree. As for my part, Yellow has been the most difficult game i've ever played because in those days, i was a kid and i used to raise only one pokemon(the starter one). So, you can imagine the amount of difficulty i suffered in defeating Brock or crossing the Mt. Moon..

I get what you are saying as a kid training one Pokemon can make anything much harder than it needs to be. However If you train multiple Pokemon Yellow it is quite easy like I said. Plus if you just use the Bellsprout line and just abuse wrap your pretty much invincible because of the broken game mechanics.

Sirfetch’d

I feel like Yellow can be difficult if you focus too much on training Pikachu, especially early, but the game kinda falls off in difficulty IMO. Some parts of the late game are tricky such as Koga and Sabrina but the Elite 4 are rather lackluster and the champion battle is rather an easy feat. If I hate to rate Yellow in terms of difficulty, I'd rate it a 6/10.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    One thing I always liked about Yellow was how it forced you to catch and train other Pokémon instead of constantly falling back on your starter.

In most of the games, you can plow through everything just by overleveling and spamming your starter, even with a type disadvantage. For example, even Charmander can easily muscle her way through Brock in RB since Geodude and Onix don't know any Rock/Ground moves and still take a lot of damage from Ember due to having bad Special.

Pikachu, however, was a different story. She had absolutely no way of dealing significant damage to Brock's Pokémon, and since she couldn't evolve, her stats would also quickly fall behind as the game went on. Thus, you were forced to catch other Pokémon and actually build a balanced team instead of always relying on your starter.

And, this is exactly why Yellow is one of the best games for new players, IMO. Being forced to take a weak, useless starter and deal with a first gym that it's at a complete disadvantage against will teach you about type matchups and team building better than any tutorial would.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Yellow was my least favourite of the original three games as a kid, and I think part of that was the difficulty I had with the game. Clearly my idiot six year old mind hadn't quite grasped the complexity of raising teams evenly and balancing levels and stats, so a few of the Gym leaders posed me a challenge. Except Brock, I felt quite sorry for the guy; I thought they went a bit overboard with options to defeat him (Butterfree learning Confusion earlier, Mankey being available west of Viridian, the Nidorans learning Double Kick earlier).

Playing it back as an adult (still an idiot, nonetheless), i'd still say it's possibly my least favourite of the original games, but not for the challenge. It's more difficult than Red and Blue, certainly, but not overly difficult if you train your team properly and have a decent spread of types - so, the same as most, if not all, Pokemon games, really.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I never knew Yellow was considered to be so difficult. I played it when I was really young, I was pretty video game challenged then, and I didn't find it that much harder than Blue. I guess you'd be at a disadvantage if you relied too much on Pikachu, but if you get an even enough team, then it's not that difficult.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
    Yellow is quite easy to beat really, but I can understand if you were say quite young playing it (say 5 or 6 etc.) because you may not understand it, and also if you're new to Pokemon. Not everyone knows to catch a Mankey outside Viridian City. In saying this, access to the 3 starters takes the need of experience in the game to a much lower level, and in turn makes the game pretty easy considering the normal things you get out of RBY (2 possible Snorlaxs, a free Eevee to name a few).

On a side note, the first Team Rocket battle at the exit of Mt. Moon can be interesting if you've rushed through it and are somehow under leveled. Ekans using Wrap all the time, Meowth outragously having STAB Bite (Normal-Type move in Gen1 in case you forget) and Koffings Smog having 40% to poison you.

Back