• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Is Yellow the only thing keeping these Generations alive? (and other ramblings)

knook

Standing on the Sun
    Years
    After playing on Yellow for a while tonight (and then SoulSilver too, gotta love Roms) I was wondering if this (That being the fact Yellow is keeping this generation alive) was the soul reason for the two Generations still being played.

The logic behind this basically stems from the fact that Yellow is a completely unique game, the reason being that it follows the Animé rather than another storyline (Those being the game-only storylines). I mean, if someone wants to go on Blue or Red but they also have the option of playing on Yellow (Love the fact this sentence rhymes) then I'm betting most people will choose Yellow, and, given that Blue, Red and Yellow are all essentially the same (apart from the aforementioned difference) they wont play Red and Blue after they have completed Yellow because it will seem boring and repetitive.

Before this year I always thought it was just the Metal era keeping these games alive but now that we have HeartGold and SoulSilver it seems that the era is all but dead, after all, people will want to play on these two over Silver any day.

However, there are people in this world like me who love the style of the older games, the 3D feel of the DS Games just doesn't work for me sometimes and I want to kick back to basics and play on the older games, this can admittedly include LeafGreen and FireRed too but sometimes it is the first set of games, I love the style, look and feel of them more than any other Pokémon game, yes, it might be nostalgia that keeps bringing me back but the point is that it always will because I love these games and they need to be respected and played just as much as their remakes (LeafGreen, FireRed, HeartGold and SoulSilver)

BUT!
    This could very well happen to the Advance generation in the next few years, I'd be willing to bet that sooner or later we'll have games based off Ruby and Sapphire that will put the Advance generation in this same crisis, the crisis of being taken over by a new game, will this mean that people give up on even the original two Generations as well?
    Surely if the Third generation is all but forgotten then the predecessors to those games will suffer as well.
    Saying that, maybe the start of the problem, LeafGreen and FireRed will actually save these three generations because there are no DS alternatives to the original Kanto storyline.
    Hopefully we wont see a worsening of this problem, hopefully the first Two Generations and even the Third one will live on.
    I guess only time will tell.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't think Yellow is the only thing that keeps the metal and color gen games alive. I enjoy playing Red/Blue more than Yellow, to be honest. I love the crazy graphics, the blocky music, and everything being either red or blue. I don't like there having to be a legendary Pokemon around every corner, either. It all depends on which game of the generation you liked best. For the 1st, I like Red the best. I can't think of an explanation why, but I just liked it more than Yellow.

As for the situation with HGSS and GSC, yes, enjoyable game, blah blah blah, but you can't replace the originals. Even when RSE's time comes where it's in the same situation as poor GSC and GBA's are obsolete, you can't cover up the charm of the originals with fancy graphics, remixed music, and crazy features. Not in my book, at least.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Nope.I started on Emerald, and Yellow is the only original that I haven't got a ROM of to play.

And Advance Generation won't survive long enough for remakes to be brought about to kill it off, the way people on this forum talk about it.

And, I thought Hg/Ss Kanto would put me off FireRed/LeafGreen, but it won't.

Originals always have uniqueness.The Shiny egg, for example.MissingNo.Sevii Isles in the 1st Generation Remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I thought Yellow was the worst. Sure you get all 3 of the starters, but the game gets WAY too easy after that. Seriously when you have all 3 starters even at level 40-50 in Kanto, you're not going to be defeated.

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
    No. It was R/B/Y and G/S/C which bring this generation alive. These game does bring back memories to us who started playing Pokemon game. So generally all the game from this generation, are totally awesome.

Rikal

Trainer Lucas
    Years
    • Age 33
    • CO
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I disagree. Yellow was great and I did enjoy it far more than I did Blue or Red. But to say it's all that's keeping it alive is a stretch. The Metal Gen was my favorite generation. I grew up with Pokemon and was around when Blue and Red were first released but I loved the fact that the Metal Gen had two regions in it. It's still the only on to do so (unless you count the Sevii Islands as a region...). It makes the game seem way larger and it in fact gives you a new look on the Kanto region.

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    After playing on Yellow for a while tonight (and then SoulSilver too, gotta love Roms) I was wondering if this (That being the fact Yellow is keeping this generation alive) was the soul reason for the two Generations still being played.

The logic behind this basically stems from the fact that Yellow is a completely unique game, the reason being that it follows the Animé rather than another storyline (Those being the game-only storylines). I mean, if someone wants to go on Blue or Red but they also have the option of playing on Yellow (Love the fact this sentence rhymes) then I'm betting most people will choose Yellow, and, given that Blue, Red and Yellow are all essentially the same (apart from the aforementioned difference) they wont play Red and Blue after they have completed Yellow because it will seem boring and repetitive.

Before this year I always thought it was just the Metal era keeping these games alive but now that we have HeartGold and SoulSilver it seems that the era is all but dead, after all, people will want to play on these two over Silver any day.

However, there are people in this world like me who love the style of the older games, the 3D feel of the DS Games just doesn't work for me sometimes and I want to kick back to basics and play on the older games, this can admittedly include LeafGreen and FireRed too but sometimes it is the first set of games, I love the style, look and feel of them more than any other Pokémon game, yes, it might be nostalgia that keeps bringing me back but the point is that it always will because I love these games and they need to be respected and played just as much as their remakes (LeafGreen, FireRed, HeartGold and SoulSilver)

BUT!
    This could very well happen to the Advance generation in the next few years, I'd be willing to bet that sooner or later we'll have games based off Ruby and Sapphire that will put the Advance generation in this same crisis, the crisis of being taken over by a new game, will this mean that people give up on even the original two Generations as well?
    Surely if the Third generation is all but forgotten then the predecessors to those games will suffer as well.
    Saying that, maybe the start of the problem, LeafGreen and FireRed will actually save these three generations because there are no DS alternatives to the original Kanto storyline.
    Hopefully we wont see a worsening of this problem, hopefully the first Two Generations and even the Third one will live on.
    I guess only time will tell.

That's not true!^^ Eveyone that plays the remakes will wonder how the precursors were if you're a real fan!^^ And just look around here, the 1st and 2nd Gen games will never die cuz we all shared our chilhood with it, meaning we'll never forget it!^^ I remember when I was done with Platinum I somehow wanted to play Red again and it's still as awesome as it was before!^^ For myself, I haven't even PLAYED through Yellow (but I'm doing it right now!^^) and there are more reasons than just memories to look at all the threads here: Challenges, Glitching and even a thread where we try to break the record of the fastest playthrough of Red and Blue!^^

I think I posted this somewhere else already but you can try as hard as you want but you'll never be able to replace the original of any game cuz it has a special feeling that cannot be imitated!^^

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I love the failed translation of Pokemon Green that I got from a Russian Pokemon site and it's in 2nd place on total scale, 1st place is Yellow. However, I beat the game (yes, I BEAT THE GAME) in under 10 MINUTES, it's difficult, but easy.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    No way, I love playing Pokémon Red! I play it all the time.
    I don't really know what you are talking about.
    Nobody likes Generation 1 anymore.
    So sad.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    No. Even though SoulSilver is addicting, I would always go back and play Gold, Silver, Crystal, Red, and Blue. Just because having a Pikachu follow you around doesn't mean that it's the reason why the 1st and 2nd generation are still alive today. I have to admit; Pokemon Yellow was enjoyable.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    I totally agree with Sydian. The sprites on Red/Blue and sometimes Green were so horribly facinating that they capture my attention well, even today. I mean, it's kinda like looking at a train wreck I guess. Also, the Rocket Boss theme, amazing : D
    Favorite theme song ever. I don't think anything will stop me from picking up Red for several years to come, even if only for those reasons.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    I was never really fond of Yellow, actually. While I liked the aspect that it followed the anime, and you got to walk around with a Pokemon by your side... I was rather disappointed that I was stuck with Pikachu (whom I've never really liked).

The classic Blue and Red will always appeal to me.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Just think of another yellow remake with Kanto/Jhoto/hoonn/sinnih in it. Levels can be up to L400 :)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    ^ No, we're not going to do that. They already wanted 6 Pokemon moves, I don't want to reach Level 400. 255 at the most and we could do that in RGB because of-

A) Missingno.
    B) Rare Candy Abuse

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Just think of another yellow remake with Kanto/Jhoto/hoonn/sinnih in it. Levels can be up to L400 :)
    That would be pretty dumb, then you would have unnecessarily high Health fo the Level 100~ pokemon. Just imagine trying to take down something like a level 400 Blissy.

But I'm all for a Kanto/Johto/Hoenn game, Sinnoh could stay out though since it sucked.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I love Sinnoh, it's so mythical and I'm off-topic.

Anyway, fighting a level 400 Blissey would be annoying, especially with Counter, but it'd be fun to take one down with a Level 1 Pidgey.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I love all of the games, I don't see how one could be keeping the entire generation alive... :\

I'm currently playing both Red and Gold, and still enjoy them quite a bit.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    I strongly disagree. I deeply enjoy the first gen, most likely for nostalgia reasons granted, but I hate yellow. I've had a thing against pikachu since the beginning and I REALLY dislike pokemon following me around. So a pikachu following me around? No thanks. Once you box the rat I suppose yellow may be superior in some respects, but I still enjoy R/B more.

Years
    I strongly disagree. I deeply enjoy the first gen, most likely for nostalgia reasons granted, but I hate yellow. I've had a thing against pikachu since the beginning and I REALLY dislike pokemon following me around. So a pikachu following me around? No thanks. Once you box the rat I suppose yellow may be superior in some respects, but I still enjoy R/B more.

I actually nicknamed my Pikachu from my last Yellow run "SHAFTED" and deposited SHAFTED, the Pikachu, into BILL's PC.

I play Crystal as the girl. I play Crystal for the Water Gun Phanpy/Donphan.

Also, these Generation games have some of the best TM's.

~TM Payday (may not be the best, but try dissing Payday Pikachu/Jumpluff!!!)
    ~TM Seismic Toss
    ~TM Tri Attack

Back