• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Israeli Tennis Player Denied from Dubai Tournament

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
  • Currently this week the Women's Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships are being held in Dubai, U.A.E. (which stands for the United Arab Emirates for those that don't know). An Israeli tennis player, Shahar Peer (pronounced like pear), had her Visa denied upon entry into the tournament, even though her ranking qualified her for the main draw. Here's some info. :3

Statement from Shahar Peer, Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Tennis Professional from Israel, regarding United Arab Emirates' decision to deny a Visa to play in the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships:

In response to the tremendous outpouring of support and empathy over the UAE decision to deny me a visa that would allow me to play in the Dubai Tennis Championships, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to my friends and fans around the world, and my fellow players. While this is a very difficult moment for me personally and professionally, and the fact that the visa denial was issued at the last moment, I firmly believe that my fellow competitors should not be harmed the way I was - they were in or on their way to Dubai and denying them the right to play in this year's tournament at the last moment would not make the wrong right. In fact, it troubles me greatly that my doubles partner Anna-Lena Groenefeld from Germany will not be able to compete as we had planned. Going forward, I am confident that the Tour will take appropriate actions to ensure that this injustice is not allowed to occur in the future, and that the Tour will make sure I will not be further harmed in the short and long term. There should be no place for politics or discrimination in professional tennis or indeed any sport.

-----

Statement from Larry Scott, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, regarding the United Arab Emirates' decision to deny a Visa to Shahar Peer to play in the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.

We are deeply disappointed by the decision of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) denying Shahar Peer a Visa that would permit her to enter the country to play in the Dubai Tennis Championships. Ms. Peer has earned the right to play in the tournament and it is regrettable that the UAE is denying her this right.

Following various consultations, the Tour has decided to allow the tournament to continue to be played this week, pending further review by the Tour's Board of Directors. Ms. Peer and her family are obviously extremely upset and are disappointed by the decision of the UAE and its impact on her personally and professionally, and the Tour is reviewing appropriate remedies for Ms. Peer and also will review appropriate future actions with regard to the future of the Dubai tournament. The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour believes very strongly, and has a clear rule and policy, that no host country should deny a player the right to compete at a tournament for which she has qualified by ranking.

-------

In my opinion, that's really ridiculous. Athletes are entertainers, they should be accepted no matter where they are, and like it's said the Tour maintains a strict policy that no tournament should deny a player based on where they come from. Sure, there's a war going on, but...really? A tennis player? The Tour is probably just going to give her money or something, but I think she should be reimbursed on a much different range.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • They don't, really. I mean, she qualified based on her rank, to be denied entry there is like getting a perfect score on your AP test only to have the board say "no you can't be in advanced Physics just because we don't want you to".

It's immoral to be denied based on what country you come from.

Years
  • Yes, it is.
    She should have played, and that is final.
    It's like saying Obama couldn't be president, nor Hillary, just because they are not white males. It's all a bunch of bull, and nobody should be denied ANY sort of right due to race, color, religion, sex, or anything of the nature. It's just wrong.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It isn't fair for that to happen. And besides, there isn't a direct war between UAE and Israel.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
    Years
  • Yes...but there is an internal war...like a cold war...

I sort of understand the banning, but I feel that it shouldn't morally happen. Perhaps if she had a choice of whether she could participate in the tournament or not, a conclusion could occur, but usually sport is supposed to bring the world together, which is what the Olympics were made for.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • Athletes are no where near entertainers, no offense or anything to anyone, but when i'm on the court playing a match I wouldn't give a crap if their were thousands of people watching, or even if they wanted the opponent to win because their mum and dad died.

Just clearing that up ;].

-------

Obviously the UAE have a reason for not allowing her to play, maybe because they don't want Israeli attention or support around the tournament. But who knows. Ranking in tennis doesn't count for anything anymore, all players are developing at the same rate, and the only way they can move up is if the player infront of them breaks their leg or retires. So ranking wouldn't really make a difference.

I think the player should just deal with it and move on, take the positive side and realise she just earnt some extra training time, and she can maybe catch up with friends and family.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Dude, that's totally wrong. They shouldn't be allowed to deny her just because of her country. I mean if she is a tennis player they have to let her in. How did they manage to let her even play? I mean was that what she had to be their for? (sorry, tl;dr. D:)

If it was some other person who didn't need to be there, I could understand.

Starrcasm

Years
  • This is going back to racism. Everyone is created equal, so everyone should be able to enter in the tournament. (Of course, they should be able to qualify, but I'm sure she qualified)

If they think that it's for her own safety, and she still feels that she wants to go to the tournament, then more power to her. If she's hurt, then that's her own fault, but she still has freedom.

Being banned for race is wrong.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • This is going back to racism. Everyone is created equal, so everyone should be able to enter in the tournament. (Of course, they should be able to qualify, but I'm sure she qualified)

If they think that it's for her own safety, and she still feels that she wants to go to the tournament, then more power to her. If she's hurt, then that's her own fault, but she still has freedom.

Being banned for race is wrong.

I wouldn't call it race. It was because of the country she was from, not because of the race she was.

Yeah I definitely see your point but besides, wouldn't their be isreali fans there to root for her or to be with her? Did they tell them they couldn't go in?

Starrcasm

Years
  • I couldn't think of a word for discrimination against one's country. So I went with racism instead
    -_-;;

Perhaps they'll be barring all Israelis. I just feel like we're pushing the world back five decades.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Perhaps they'll be barring all Israelis. I just feel like we're pushing the world back five decades.
    World hasn't changed at all, it's just that Western society has created a bubble of ignorance around itself. People like to think that we're not at all like the people of the past, and that we're incapable of doing things like what the Nazis and the Japanese did, but we are. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    To be honest, I'm glad they did. Until Israel pays for the crimes it's commited, I don't see why it should be any different to the world blocking Zimbabwean teams, or Nazi German teams, or Italian-Facist teams. It's no different. They're all groups committing serious crimes, so it's only fair the countries exports suffer until they realise what they've done.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • WHAT!? That's really wrong. She is good, too. Or so I've heard.

Yes, she's quite good, and I'm glad the Tour took necessary procedures (I'll get the new statement.) Athletes have nothing to do with what's going on in their country. As Andy Roddick, our American number 1 player quoted when he said he wouldn't be defending his title in Dubai when the men play there this week, "You don't make political statements through sports." It's just stupid, they have nothing to do with what's going on. She hits a ball crosscourt, she's not sneaking in to blow the place up, that's terrible to think of someone even if the countries are at each other's throats. Luckily, Dubai and the Tour have talked, spread out terms, and will allow Israeli doubles player Andy Ram to participate in the event during the men's tournament. Here's the news!:

---------

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA - Following a special meeting of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Board conducted earlier Friday in connection with the decision by the United Arab Emirates this past week to deny the visa application of Israeli Tour player Shahar Peer, the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour announced that effective immediately it is taking the actions described below.

Commenting on Friday's actions, Larry Scott, Chairman & CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, stated: "The actions taken today are intended to redress the wrongs suffered by Shahar Peer, who was victimized by an unjust policy of discrimination by the UAE. These actions are also intended to send a clear message that our Tour will not tolerate discrimination of any kind and that we will never allow this situation to happen again, in UAE or elsewhere. Thanks to the courage of Shahar, and all those individuals and organizations - including her fellow players - that supported her, the UAE has changed their policy and another barrier of discrimination has fallen."

Sony Ericsson WTA Tour actions in reference to Shahar Peer, Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Dubai Tournament:

• Shahar Peer Ranking Points: The awarding of 130 ranking points to Shahar Peer - an amount equal to the points that she earned during the same week in 2008 (week of Memphis) that she was unable to defend this past week in Dubai as a result of the denial of her entry visa by UAE. Such points will remain on Ms. Peer's ranking until such time as she has had an opportunity to earn equivalent points at the next tournament offering ranking points equal to the Dubai event.

• Shahar Peer Prize Money: The awarding of US$44,250 to Shahar Peer - an amount equal to the average prize money that she earned per tournament (singles and doubles) in 2008, grossed up to take account for the increased prize money on offer at 2009 tournaments.

• Anna-Lena Groenefeld Prize Money: The awarding of US$7,950 to Anna-Lena Groenefeld, who was to be Shahar Peer's doubles partner in Dubai and who was unable to compete in doubles with Ms. Peer as a result of the denial of Ms. Peer's entry visa by UAE. This amount is equal to the average prize money that she earned per tournament in doubles in 2008, grossed up to take account for the increased prize money on offer at 2009 tournaments.

• Dubai Tennis Championships Financial Penalty: The fining of the Dubai tournament US$300,000 for breach of Tour Rules, By-Laws and conditions of membership related to the denial of entry to Shahar Peer. This fine amount represents the highest fine ever levied against a Tour member. Proceeds from the fine shall be used to compensate each of Ms. Peer and Ms. Groenefeld, with the balance to be donated to a charity or charities, to be determined by the Tour in consultation with Ms. Peer.

• Dubai Tennis Championships Financial Performance Guarantee: The posting by the Dubai tournament of a US$2 million financial performance guarantee by July 1, 2009 that the conditions described below will be satisfied.

• Dubai Tennis Championships Conditions for Continued Membership: The establishment of a series of conditions to be met by the Dubai tournament in order to maintain its membership and be included on the Tour's 2010 calendar, including: (i) confirmation of the written assurances already received that all players who qualify for the tournament shall, regardless of nationality, or any other reason, be allowed to play in the Dubai event and shall be issued entry visas or permits, (ii) proof of approved UAE entry permit to enter the UAE for any Israeli player a minimum of eight weeks prior to the start of the 2010 Dubai tournament, and (iii) guarantee that Ms. Peer shall be offered a wildcard to play the Dubai tournament in 2010 in the event that she does not qualify by ranking.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    But, since few countries actually pay attention to general political discussion, the only way to put across the point is in things like sport or entertainment?

Back